Utah Epic - The White Rim

Old September 23rd 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nexty

Default Utah Epic - The White Rim

aspenmike wrote:
After you drop off the edge of the world, or it seems anyway, you hit
the flattish white rim, which meanders in and out of these majestic
canyons. This was one of my favorite viewpoints. Colorado river below,
with the massive thunderstorm building over the Blue Mountains to the
south.

Gosh, that looks amazing.

More photos please.

--
nexty
Old September 23rd 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lpounds

+1 Yes, please.

--
lpounds

'' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7-q-VOaDB7M&feature=related)
Old September 23rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
aspenmike

nexty wrote:
Gosh, that looks amazing.

More photos please.

Ok, one more from Day 1. Will send more this week. Keep you all wanting
more, and more. I know, I'm addicted to this stuff to.

|Filename: start of white rim sepia low res001.JPG |

aspenmike
Old September 23rd 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
napalm

wow mike sounds like a great ride. Love the pics as always. I guess a
trip like this would be the kind of thing a 29er shlumpf would be ideal
for- both 1:1 and 1:1.5 would be totally usable considering the terrain.

Mike- what do you see as being the biggest hurdles for doing a trip
like this self supported? Is it just the water carrying issue? How much
were you drinking a day? The reason i ask is because i did a 28 day self
supported tour on my 36er covering 2000km and got used to riding with a
decent sized pack. Since then i have been thinking about what could be
done XC with a smaller wheel but in the same manner.

can't wait for a writeup and some more pics,
mark

--
napalm

you wont do it...your SCARED!
"We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
man made, like God"
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff
Old September 23rd 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JJuggle

Mike, your accounts and photos are always stunning.

I must admit, though, that I am always comforted by them as they remind
me that there are plenty of places other than here in New Jersey where
new developments can be built.

--
JJuggle

Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ

On a steel horse I ride.
Old September 24th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
aspenmike

napalm wrote:
wow mike sounds like a great ride. Love the pics as always. I guess a
trip like this would be the kind of thing a 29er shlumpf would be ideal
for- both 1:1 and 1:1.5 would be totally usable considering the terrain.

Mike- what do you see as being the biggest hurdles for doing a trip
like this self supported? Is it just the water carrying issue? How much
were you drinking a day? The reason i ask is because i did a 28 day self
supported tour on my 36er covering 2000km and got used to riding with a
decent sized pack. Since then i have been thinking about what could be
done XC with a smaller wheel but in the same manner.

can't wait for a writeup and some more pics,
mark

Yeah, the 29er shlumpf would be nice, although this ride for me is not
about how fast I can get to camp; make sure you enjoy it, it is such an
incredible place.
As far as self supported, water is probably the biggest hurdle. I was
out on the trail 5-7 hours/day, at 15 oz's/hour = 100 oz bladder. I
tried to drink that much every day, a couple of the harder days
w/climbing, I drank 130 oz. You do not want to scrimp on water in the
desert.
I am sure some day, someone will do this self supported on a unicycle,
and kudos to them. I still like bringing my nice sleeping pad, and
solar powered blender. This is desert country, it is dry and hot. The
ranger was on a self supported trip when I was down there, on b***, he
though, had the benefit of water cached along the way.

Nice job on your 28 day adventure, it must have been wonderful.

JJuggle wrote:
Mike, your accounts and photos are always stunning.

I must admit, though, that I am always comforted by them as they remind
me that there are plenty of places other than here in New Jersey where
new developments can be built.

Yeah JJuggle, the West is ready for "DRILL BABY DRILL" The landscape is
changing daily. Edward Abbey is rolling over in his grave.

Criiter, thanks for the kind words, I really was living large down
there.

This pic is from day 2 on one of the pre climbs before Murphys Hogback.
The ranger is at bottom with his Bob Trailer.

|Filename: mike pre climb to murphys low res001.JPG |

aspenmike
Old September 24th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BoojiBoy

Intense, dude. Show us more!

--
BoojiBoy

RICKY ALAN WHITE AKA BICYCLE AKA R.WHITE-WELFARE WORKER DesertBob Jr. General 1 December 14th 10 10:16 AM
TR: Utah MS 150 [email protected] General 0 June 25th 07 11:10 PM
Utah MS 150 [email protected] General 9 July 18th 06 03:56 PM
Utah Epic aspenmike Unicycling 14 May 23rd 06 12:44 AM