the bike gods must think this is funny

Old July 3rd 03, 09:28 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Default the bike gods must think this is funny

Technician wrote in message
. ..
Great day out today. weather predicts chance of showers, but the sky is
clear, and the sun is bright. so i head out for a ride.

Everything performs excellent, including myself. i am in top form today,
everything just comes naturally. ahh, but this can't be right, it is too
perfect. i ride on anyway.

3 miles out, i notice a bit of moisture falling. ahh, but this is not
bad; just a light sprinkle. i ride on, taking in the cool air from the
light rain. and then it happens, the rain suddenly goes from a light
rain, to a downpour with visibility cut to about 6 feet with the mud and
rain splashing up onto my glasses. in a matter of moments, i am
completely soaked. so i decide to call it quits. i turn around and head
back. at this moment, the rain doubles. not only am i getting splatter
off the wheels, but from the rain bouncing off the road itself.
suddenly, i notice a scratchy feeling down below, and it occurs to me
that my rain soaked shirt has worked it's way up my back and under my
CamelBak, so the splatter from the rear wheel is now hitting my back,
and running down under the band of my shorts and down the crack of my
arse. if this wasn't bad enough, i am being attacked from the front with
wheel splatter going up the legs of my shorts and attacking the nether
region. on top of this, i am still about 2.75 miles from my car.

But, then i focus on my riding only, and tune out the scratchy pain, and
the fact i can't see very far past my front wheel. i eventually make it
back to my car with the realization that most of what i rode was done in
the big ring simply because at that point i didn't care, i just rode.

So i don't know what i did to offend the bike gods, but they really
didn't like me today.
--
~Travis

Rode 7.5 miles in weather like that on the last club ride, after riding 10
miles of mostly uphill before hand. With a heavy hangover. And a chest
recovering from the previous night's tobacco abuse. The rain was coming down
so hard, we couldn't see more than a bike length in front of us. I thought
about going slower on some of the rocky, muddy, extremely slippery descents,
but decided to increase the speed of my reactions instead.

Shaun aRe don't see what all the fuss is about.