Torque for installing Bombshell crank

Old December 1st 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dstamat[_3_]

Default Torque for installing Bombshell crank

Dear All,

I want to install a Bombshell Spinnergy Mini crank (2 piece crank with 24mm axle) but in order to do this I need to know how tight the left crankarm fixing bolt should be. The manufacturer has ignored all my messages for this information and I would like to ask if anyone in the group has the experience with these cranks. If not what it the best way to figure out the proper torque?

As a side note, I bought these cranks directly from the manufacturer because he told me that they are Hollowtech II compatible with a chainline of 42 mm (it replaces a Shimano DXR FC-MX70 crankset). Unfortunately this was not true. Installation required spacers to distance the crank from the bottom bracket (otherwise it would not turn) and the chainline was closer to 48 mm.. I had to place the chainring behind the crank to bring it inwards by 4 mm and allow the belt to turn without skipping. It works now but of course it is ugly and dishonesty is hard to swallow.

Thanks in advance

Dimitris
Old December 1st 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/1/2018 2:08 PM, dstamat wrote:
[...]

You might ask their vendor:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/45...et_Cranks.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 1st 18, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12:08:39 PM UTC-8, dstamat wrote:
[...]

Pay VERY close attention to the bottom line of that reference Andrew gave you - maximum weight limit 135 lbs
Old December 9th 18, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dstamat[_3_]

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 11:40:45 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your concern but the Spinnergy is not the same crank as the one in Andrew's link.

Neither the manufacturer nor the vendors respond to my requests (strange isn't it?) and I have not heard anything either from the people in this group.. Let's say that I do not know what is the appropriate torque for the installation of a 2 piece crank. How do I proceed with the installation? How do I know when it is too loose or too tight?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old December 10th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

Does the bolt screw in to the crank material (aluminium) directly?

What diameter is the bolt, and the thread pitch?

You can probably find an appropriate maximum torque value from somewhere
on the internet, based on the thread material, bolt diameter and thread
pitch, I would think.

--
JS