A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Torque for installing Bombshell crank

Old December 1st 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dstamat[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Torque for installing Bombshell crank

Dear All,

I want to install a Bombshell Spinnergy Mini crank (2 piece crank with 24mm axle) but in order to do this I need to know how tight the left crankarm fixing bolt should be. The manufacturer has ignored all my messages for this information and I would like to ask if anyone in the group has the experience with these cranks. If not what it the best way to figure out the proper torque?

As a side note, I bought these cranks directly from the manufacturer because he told me that they are Hollowtech II compatible with a chainline of 42 mm (it replaces a Shimano DXR FC-MX70 crankset). Unfortunately this was not true. Installation required spacers to distance the crank from the bottom bracket (otherwise it would not turn) and the chainline was closer to 48 mm.. I had to place the chainring behind the crank to bring it inwards by 4 mm and allow the belt to turn without skipping. It works now but of course it is ugly and dishonesty is hard to swallow.

Thanks in advance

Dimitris
Old December 1st 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/1/2018 2:08 PM, dstamat wrote:
Dear All,

I want to install a Bombshell Spinnergy Mini crank (2 piece crank with 24mm axle) but in order to do this I need to know how tight the left crankarm fixing bolt should be. The manufacturer has ignored all my messages for this information and I would like to ask if anyone in the group has the experience with these cranks. If not what it the best way to figure out the proper torque?

As a side note, I bought these cranks directly from the manufacturer because he told me that they are Hollowtech II compatible with a chainline of 42 mm (it replaces a Shimano DXR FC-MX70 crankset). Unfortunately this was not true. Installation required spacers to distance the crank from the bottom bracket (otherwise it would not turn) and the chainline was closer to 48 mm. I had to place the chainring behind the crank to bring it inwards by 4 mm and allow the belt to turn without skipping. It works now but of course it is ugly and dishonesty is hard to swallow.

Thanks in advance

Dimitris

You might ask their vendor:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/45...et_Cranks.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 1st 18, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12:08:39 PM UTC-8, dstamat wrote:
Dear All,

As a side note, I bought these cranks directly from the manufacturer because he told me that they are Hollowtech II compatible with a chainline of 42 mm (it replaces a Shimano DXR FC-MX70 crankset). Unfortunately this was not true. Installation required spacers to distance the crank from the bottom bracket (otherwise it would not turn) and the chainline was closer to 48 mm. I had to place the chainring behind the crank to bring it inwards by 4 mm and allow the belt to turn without skipping. It works now but of course it is ugly and dishonesty is hard to swallow.

Thanks in advance

Dimitris

Pay VERY close attention to the bottom line of that reference Andrew gave you - maximum weight limit 135 lbs
Old December 9th 18, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dstamat[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 11:40:45 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Dear All,

Thanks in advance

Dimitris

Pay VERY close attention to the bottom line of that reference Andrew gave you - maximum weight limit 135 lbs

Thank you for your concern but the Spinnergy is not the same crank as the one in Andrew's link.

Neither the manufacturer nor the vendors respond to my requests (strange isn't it?) and I have not heard anything either from the people in this group.. Let's say that I do not know what is the appropriate torque for the installation of a 2 piece crank. How do I proceed with the installation? How do I know when it is too loose or too tight?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old December 10th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster

On 9/12/18 8:43 pm, dstamat wrote:
On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 11:40:45 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
Dear All,

I want to install a Bombshell Spinnergy Mini crank (2 piece crank
with 24mm axle) but in order to do this I need to know how tight
the left crankarm fixing bolt should be. The manufacturer has
ignored all my messages for this information and I would like to
ask if anyone in the group has the experience with these cranks.
If not what it the best way to figure out the proper torque?

As a side note, I bought these cranks directly from the
manufacturer because he told me that they are Hollowtech II
compatible with a chainline of 42 mm (it replaces a Shimano DXR
FC-MX70 crankset). Unfortunately this was not true. Installation
required spacers to distance the crank from the bottom bracket
(otherwise it would not turn) and the chainline was closer to 48
mm. I had to place the chainring behind the crank to bring it
inwards by 4 mm and allow the belt to turn without skipping. It
works now but of course it is ugly and dishonesty is hard to
swallow.

Thanks in advance

Dimitris

Pay VERY close attention to the bottom line of that reference
Andrew gave you - maximum weight limit 135 lbs

Thank you for your concern but the Spinnergy is not the same crank as
the one in Andrew's link.

Neither the manufacturer nor the vendors respond to my requests
(strange isn't it?) and I have not heard anything either from the
people in this group. Let's say that I do not know what is the
appropriate torque for the installation of a 2 piece crank. How do I
proceed with the installation? How do I know when it is too loose or
too tight?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Does the bolt screw in to the crank material (aluminium) directly?

What diameter is the bolt, and the thread pitch?

You can probably find an appropriate maximum torque value from somewhere
on the internet, based on the thread material, bolt diameter and thread
pitch, I would think.

--
JS