This is a seriously hard sport to get into...

Old July 24th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default This is a seriously hard sport to get into...

I've been trying for two years to follow/support/get excited about Cycle
racing.
It's pretty hard when every 15 minutes there's another failed test.
Vino now?
WTF? IS ANYONE CLEAN? DOES ANYONE RACE CLEAN?
SERIOUSLY?

Is this a joking post or serious? Doping at the highest levels of sport,
*all* sports, has been a given for years. You think we should be concerned
one iota about whether an adult who's thinking about getting into the sport
might somehow become corrupted or suffer moral issues? Get a life.

If there's an issue, it's not with someone like you. It's with the young
kids who find their idols cheat, and what that teaches them about life.

And it's certainly not a special issue for cycling. Soccer has a big issue
with doping as well; shouldn't you be calling upon parents to pull their
kids from the sport?

In any event, I doubt there's much trickle-down in doping from the TdF to
Cat-6 racing. Your moral sensibilities will likely survive intact.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old July 24th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:24:18 -0500, Hell and High Water
wrote:

I've been trying for two years to follow/support/get excited about Cycle
racing.

You could get a bike and a license and trying racing.
--
JT
****************************
Old July 24th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
ps.com...
It's not so bad to think that riders and professional athletes dope
(that's almost expected if it gives results and is usually
undetectable).

I swear this is true - I was doing something and the TV in the motel I was
in turned itself on and there was some sort of professional BALLROOM DANCING
competition and the announcer was saying that the couple he was talking
about had just got back from a suspension FOR DOPING!

So - you're using an unfair advantage by using dope while ballroom
dancing????

It's long past time to start lynching the referees. Remember what has been
happening in the NBA - any bets about the gambling on Vino?

Old July 25th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Tom Kunich wrote:

It's long past time to start lynching the referees. Remember what has
been happening in the NBA - any bets about the gambling on Vino?

If professional gambling had him DQ'd, why? He was in 23rd place. Do you
think there was a lot of money down on him to finish higher than 25th and
they would make a bundle if he got kicked out?

--
Bill Asher
Old July 25th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"William Asher" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

It's long past time to start lynching the referees. Remember what has
been happening in the NBA - any bets about the gambling on Vino?

If professional gambling had him DQ'd, why? He was in 23rd place. Do you
think there was a lot of money down on him to finish higher than 25th and
they would make a bundle if he got kicked out?

Why would you think that the odds were of him winning two stages as he did?
After Sunday, his stage winning ride yesterday made someone really really
rich. Would that disturb other people?

Old July 25th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Tom Kunich wrote:

It's long past time to start lynching the referees. Remember what
has been happening in the NBA - any bets about the gambling on Vino?

If professional gambling had him DQ'd, why? He was in 23rd place.
Do you think there was a lot of money down on him to finish higher
than 25th and they would make a bundle if he got kicked out?

Why would you think that the odds were of him winning two stages as he
did? After Sunday, his stage winning ride yesterday made someone
really really rich. Would that disturb other people?

If we follow your logic through to its logical conclusion, professional
gambling interests would like to DQ all the riders since they lose money
whenever anyone wins. I thought the whole point of odds in gambling is to
ensure that the house makes money no matter who wins. shrug

--
Bill Asher
Old July 25th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"William Asher" wrote in message

If we follow your logic through to its logical conclusion

Let's put it this way, in order to "follow" my logic you would first need to
be sane which rules you out.