SixDay RSS Feed

Old November 9th 04, 03:39 PM
Davey Crockett

Default SixDay RSS Feed

Please no more ''Yer feed don't work'' type emails.

Firstly it's beat against each of the FreeValidator, Harvard Law and W3M
validators regularly:
http://feedvalidator.org/
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/2004/02/02
http://validator.w3.org/
(W3C will return a single dtd error)

But just for informational purposes, clicking the ''Validate'' button on the
News Page on the site will validate it for you if you think the feed is
borked.

If it validates (which it will) and you still cannot read it, try the
RocketInfo RSS Reader/Aggregator - which takes the .rss rather than .xml file
extension.

Yeah. It's confusing with half a gerzillion ''standards'' an' umpteen versions
of each with ******z like Gatez and Nut$crape tryin' to lock folks in with
their own proprietory versions but the SixDay feed should work with just about
any Blogger/RSS Reader/Aggregator

If you really are stuck, use the anonymous email form on the website and ask
for help nicely.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site - current year Sixes: http://sixday.741.com/2004-2005/2004-2005.html

Old November 9th 04, 04:19 PM
Martin Honnen

Davey Crockett wrote:

Please no more ''Yer feed don't work'' type emails.

Firstly it's beat against each of the FreeValidator, Harvard Law and W3M
validators regularly:
http://feedvalidator.org/

But that validator warns that you serve
http://sixday.741.com/rssfeed/newsfeed.rss
as
application/octet-stream
which is a bad idea, it should be
application/rss+xml
I think.

--

Martin Honnen

Old November 9th 04, 07:12 PM
Keith Alexander

Davey Crockett wrote...

Please no more ''Yer feed don't work'' type emails.

*** Mine works. :-)

KA
---
www.nootrope.net

Old November 10th 04, 05:07 AM
Davey Crockett

Martin Honnen writes:

Davey Crockett wrote:

Please no more ''Yer feed don't work'' type emails.
Firstly it's beat against each of the FreeValidator, Harvard Law and
W3M
validators regularly:
http://feedvalidator.org/

But that validator warns that you serve
http://sixday.741.com/rssfeed/newsfeed.rss
as
application/octet-stream
which is a bad idea, it should be
application/rss+xml
I think.

Actually it is the .xml file that should be evaluated and not the .rss as you
seem to have done and you will find that the .xml validates without reservation.

Even though the two files are identical, the FeedValidator validator returns
different results for the different extensions. However, to keep certain
Bloggerz/Aggregatorz/RSS Readerz happy, both files exist on the server.

Interestingly, I had always regarded the W3C validator as the last word on
HTML perfection, but it's an interesting fact though, that changing the code
to get the W3C validator to put the seal of approval on the feed (by adding a
dtd) results in every other validator that was tried failing to validate it

I'm no guru of SGML (in any of its variants except perhaps html) and have too
many irons in the fire to be able to spend any time researching the precise
cause of the anomalies, but at least everyone that I have heard from can read
the feed now. I will investigate it further when time allows though..

I strongly suspect that at least part of the problem is that xml 0.91 is being
employed, and that is a Netscape standard designed I suspect to suit their
own browser/user agent.

Such is life I suppose