Offending the puncture gods

Old February 3rd 05, 10:39 PM
hippy

Default Offending the puncture gods

flyingdutch wrote:
I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to as
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?
(the 'jacks' not the croweaters )

We have '3-corner-jacks' in Mildura. It's not just a SA term.
No idea what the real name of these ******* things are.

hippy
Old February 3rd 05, 10:45 PM
Brett

hippy wrote:
flyingdutch wrote:

I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to as
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?
(the 'jacks' not the croweaters )

We have '3-corner-jacks' in Mildura. It's not just a SA term.
No idea what the real name of these ******* things are.

hippy

I think you are describing what we in the west call Double-gees. Nasty
things.

--
Brett
Old February 3rd 05, 10:50 PM
Bluenose

hippy wrote:

flyingdutch wrote:
I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to as
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?
(the 'jacks' not the croweaters )

We have '3-corner-jacks' in Mildura. It's not just a SA term.
No idea what the real name of these ******* things are.

hippy

I thought you were in Melbourne Hippy? I didn't realise you were a
country boy ;-)

Cheers
Old February 3rd 05, 10:52 PM
TimC

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 at 22:10 GMT, Absent Husband (aka Bruce)
snip

"Qld weather sux, by the way - false advertising all the way. "

snip

What - too sunny for you?? Too predictable for you?? Too many blue

Yell, yes, too predictable.

Too humid constantly, and the rain day after day and clouds night
after night really got to me.

Advice for the amateur astronomers on the froup: Don't even bother.

cat /kat/ n. A furry keyboard cover
Old February 3rd 05, 11:06 PM
hippy

Bluenose wrote:
hippy wrote:
We have '3-corner-jacks' in Mildura. It's not just a SA term.
No idea what the real name of these ******* things are.

I thought you were in Melbourne Hippy? I didn't realise you were a
country boy ;-)

I am currently in Melbourne.
I often refer to Melbourne AND Mildura as 'home' - it just depends on
the context of the conversation. Such a confused lad..

hippy
"multi-locality-disorder"
Old February 3rd 05, 11:20 PM
TimC

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 at 23:06 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
Bluenose wrote:
hippy wrote:
We have '3-corner-jacks' in Mildura. It's not just a SA term.
No idea what the real name of these ******* things are.

I thought you were in Melbourne Hippy? I didn't realise you were a
country boy ;-)

I am currently in Melbourne.
I often refer to Melbourne AND Mildura as 'home' - it just depends on
the context of the conversation. Such a confused lad..

Do you refer to home as the place you are not in?

My home is 1000km away. Permanently, no matter where I am.

"A distributed system is one in which I cannot get something done
because a machine I've never heard of is down." -- Leslie Lamport
Old February 4th 05, 12:04 AM
hippy

TimC wrote:
hippy wrote:

I am currently in Melbourne.
I often refer to Melbourne AND Mildura as 'home' - it just depends on
the context of the conversation. Such a confused lad..

Do you refer to home as the place you are not in?
My home is 1000km away. Permanently, no matter where I am.

Yeah.. if I'm in Mildura and say "Well, I'd better go home now, back to
the crap weather" people know I mean home as in Melbourne. If I'm in
Melbourne I'll say "I'm going home to Mildura this weekend". If I'm down
the street and say "I'm going home".. well.. then the other person has
to make an educated guess

Do you say: "I'm going up the street" or "I'm going down the street"
when refering to a shopping adventure yet to begin?

hippy
"I'm going down the street later for a cappucino muffin from the nice
bakery girls.."
Old February 4th 05, 07:23 AM
dave

ritcho wrote:
suzyj Wrote:

Hi guys,

Must have really upset some deity. Two punctures in the last week,
both wrecking near-new tyres. I hadn't even worn the mould-flash off
the front one.

I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if they were _definately_ stuffed, but in
each case there's a small cut, just big enough to bulge and let the tube
poke out

Regards,

Suzy

PS: If anyone mentions that these things happen in threes, I'll
scream!

Don't say the word that describes a tyre that is unable to hold air!
I've had one of those already this year. In my case, it _is_ near the
end of the tyre's life - a Bontrager Race-Lite. I don't think I'll get
it again, they're not bad for racing but are not the best for racing
either and they tend to cut rather easily. Otoh, the grey sidewalls
matched my silver bike...

Ritch

Ians effort of two at the same second will take some beating

Dave
Old February 5th 05, 09:52 AM
Brett

flyingdutch wrote in
:

Wrote:
suzyj,

Did you run over some of these things?

http://tinyurl.com/6pbrg

-- gecko

I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to as
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?
(the 'jacks' not the croweaters )

Also known as goathead burr. Very common near beaches in tropical
climes. There are a reasonably aggresive establishment plant in coastal
dunes.

They are present near most beaches (and open space) in Townsville. I
don't mind if they stay near the beach (MTB has tuffies) but when the
slashers drag them onto the road I get punctures. In summer I don't use
the road bike at all. Or that might be because it's too hot.

Old February 5th 05, 11:29 AM
Peter Cremasco

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:52:18 +1100, suzyj
wrote:

PS: If anyone mentions that these things happen in threes, I'll
scream!

ahem. these things happen in threes.

just telling it as it is.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

puncture on new bike [email protected] UK 23 October 26th 05 08:36 PM
First Pucture Dave B UK 18 September 7th 05 10:02 PM
Armadillo tyres puncture resistant? Ha! [email protected] UK 10 May 9th 05 06:20 PM
First Puncture for 2005 Parbs Australia 4 January 2nd 05 06:42 AM
Puncture resistant tyres Julian UK 16 March 13th 04 10:19 AM