Bike rack for work car park - ideas?

Old September 19th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Russell

Default Bike rack for work car park - ideas?

Hi all,

I've been tasked with finding a bike rack for up to 20 bikes, to fit
inside a standard car parking space at work. An added complication is
that we share the car park with a number of other offices, and since
we've paid for the space don't want to the rack to fill up with
everyone else's bikes.

So, was wondering whether it's possible to buy a rack with an
integrated locking mechanism - so we could give our cyclists a key to
unlock their space? Remember seeing something like this at Cambridge
station ("premium bike parking spaces", for a fixed fee) - any idea
where I could find something similar?

Or perhaps we could adapt a standard rack? Apart from the lack of
locking mechanism, I like the look of these, for efficient use of
space: http://www.cyclepods.co.uk/

Any thoughts, ideas much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Russell

Old September 19th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 07:14:14 -0700, Russell wrote:

Or perhaps we could adapt a standard rack? Apart from the lack of locking
mechanism, I like the look of these, for efficient use of space:
http://www.cyclepods.co.uk/

Before getting too excited about Cyclepods, check that a bike with full
mudguards will fit without smashing the guards, and also check a
small-wheeler, Moulton or Brompton style (especially one with deraileur).

Mike
Old September 19th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Following on from Russell's message. . .
Hi all,

I've been tasked with finding a bike rack for up to 20 bikes, to fit
inside a standard car parking space at work. An added complication is
that we share the car park with a number of other offices, and since
we've paid for the space don't want to the rack to fill up with
everyone else's bikes.

Why not have it completely 'available'.

When it fills up /then/ you put your company's name tag on each rack
*and* circulate the other tenants of the car park with a 'sorry they're
ours - but...' letter suggesting interested parties meet with you one
lunch time so you can scheme another between you or they themselves
using your experience of exactly how much it costs and what to do
better.

Not only is it leadership progress but you get to meet and encourage
more cyclists.

You can easily discourage abusers by a simple cable tie and note to the
effect that you know places are limited and sympathise (byt your company
comes first as you paid for them) and who to contact (ie you) for how
they can get their own.

BTW I'd be surprised if it is possible to do 20 and get access in the
space available.

Suggestion. Number the racks. I know it sounds pointless but for the
sake of 10 minutes with a paint brush it will have the effect of making
it look as if spaces are strictly allocated and policed even if they're
not.

Good luck.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the submarine business went under

2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
Gravity beer in Essex http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk
Old September 19th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Russell wrote:
Hi all,

I've been tasked with finding a bike rack for up to 20 bikes, to fit
inside a standard car parking space at work.

20 bikes? I'm picturing even storing 20 bikes vertically like Glasgow
London sleeper carriage does for example and 20 looks unrealistic for a
standard car space if the bikes are going to be arriving and leaving
at different times. This link shows an 18 capacity rack but it looks
far bigger than 1 car space
www.sarisparking.com/products/parkabike.htm
Iain

Old September 19th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

wrote:
Russell wrote:
Hi all,

I've been tasked with finding a bike rack for up to 20 bikes, to fit
inside a standard car parking space at work.

20 bikes? I'm picturing even storing 20 bikes vertically like Glasgow
London sleeper carriage does for example and 20 looks unrealistic for a
standard car space if the bikes are going to be arriving and leaving
at different times. This link shows an 18 capacity rack but it looks
far bigger than 1 car space
www.sarisparking.com/products/parkabike.htm
Iain

Ask for 2 parking spaces and put one of these on it:

http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/sheds.html

Each of these will take 20 bikes. There is no real way to fit 20 into
one car space.

They are not cheap but they are lockable so you can put a notice on
them indicating where people could get a key. They also provide
security so you know your bike will not be tampered with by randome
scrotes.
It has been estimated that each car park space costs 1500 per year to
maintain. One of these sheds removes 18 car park spaces, so saves 27
grand a year, or sgnificantly more than it's cost.

...d

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Bikers beat weather New indoor moutain bike course on West Side attracts attention Scott Mountain Biking 20 January 27th 05 02:52 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM