Dura Ace bar end shifter

Old August 14th 12, 10:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_2_]

Default Dura Ace bar end shifter

I bought a pair of 9 speed Shimano SL-BS77 Dura Ace bar end shifters with
the intention of using them on a utility bike with a Deore LX rear
derailleur and 9 speed cassette.
In the service instruction sheet that always comes with Shimano bits it
says "NOTE This shifting lever cannot be used with any rear derailleur other
than the Dura Ace."
I believe that early Dura Ace rear shifting had a wire pull per click half
the length of every other Shimano parts group but that this had been fixed
fifteen years ago when 9 speed Dura Ace was introduced. Supposedly, the wire
pull from 1997 on is the same across the range so 9 speed Dura Ace shifters
and derailleurs are compatible with any other Shimano bits. Thats what
Sheldon Brown says anyway.
Am I missing something? Anyone here who has used a SL-BS77 lever? Or could
it be that Shimano erroneously carried the note over from older
non-compatible Dura Ace instructon sheets?
I thought I'd ask here first before going to the trouble of setting up a
test rig and actually comparing the wire pull of this shifter with other
Shimano shifters.
PH

Old August 14th 12, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:55:25 AM UTC-4, Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

I've used my 9 speedDura Ace bar end shifters in index mode with many other rear mechs other than Dura Ace with no problems, even used them with 9 speed SRAM cassette & Shimano rear mech.

Cheers
Old August 14th 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:55:25 +1000, "Peter Howard"
wrote:

[...]

I saw a couple of references to using them with an "XT" rear shifter,
for whatever that is worth.
Cheers,
John B.
Old August 14th 12, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Peter Howard wrote:
I bought a pair of 9 speed Shimano SL-BS77 Dura Ace bar end
shifters with the intention of using them on a utility bike with a
Deore LX rear derailleur and 9 speed cassette.

That will work smoothly.

In the service instruction sheet that always comes with Shimano
bits it says "NOTE This shifting lever cannot be used with any
rear derailleur other than the Dura Ace."

The SL-BS77 is both 9sp (9sp DuraAce and all other) AND 8sp (with
pre-1997 8sp DuraAce), and that duality works only with DuraAce.
For anything but a pre-1997 DuraAce the SL-BS77 is a standard 9sp
shifter.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old August 14th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/14/2012 4:55 AM, Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

popular with Deore rear changers:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/POSD9.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/gunt9a.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 15th 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On 14-8-2012 11:55, Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

They probably ran a batch of these stickers the first year DA came out,
when Ultegra was still 8-sp.

All you have to worry about is to get the chrome collar the right way up
(as per the manual)

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old August 15th 12, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_2_]

Default Thanks to all respondents.

"Peter Howard" wrote in message
d.com...
I bought a pair of 9 speed Shimano SL-BS77 Dura Ace bar end
shifters.........

An overwhelming consensus that aforementioned DA shifters are compatible
with any and all other Shimano 9 speed parts. Your help is appreciated.
PH

Old August 15th 12, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_2_]

"AMuzi" wrote in message
popular with Deore rear changers:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/POSD9.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/gunt9a.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the pictures, especially the pretty red Gunnar with Sugino
crankset just like my crankset. For nice looks and functionality a Sugino
triple crankset would have to be the best bang per buck on the market.
PH