Bike lanes

Old February 21st 13, 01:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]

Default Bike lanes

Does anyone actually think they're safer because someone puts white
paint on the road?

Bike lanes marked next to parked cars. How stupid.

I can only imagine the train of thought. Give the bicycle riders
somewhere to ride - a place on the road, because the motorists can't
cope with or don't know that bicyclists have more right to use the road
than them - and they will feel safer and more will ride their bicycle.

Well, yes some novice bicycle riders *feel* safer, but in reality it's a
case of...

Oh, thanks - sit me on a time bomb and see if I can guess when it will
go off so I can jump clear.

No thanks.

The law says you don't have to use a bike lane if it would be hazardous
to do so - great, let's all not use the bike lanes marked next to parked
cars and suffer abuse and intentional close passes from the masses of
cagers who think we *must* use a bike lane if there is one there,
regardless of the impending cracked sternum.

Then they (the powers that be) realise, hey these bike lanes next to
parked cars has caused a huge increase in doorings. Einsteins! Their
solution? Copenhagen style lanes. Segregation. Yep, now you have
pedestrians and turning traffic becomes even more hazardous. Sheesh,
you'd think they could rub their crystal balls a little harder, wouldn't
you?

Wait for it, some bright spark has an idea to put a bike lane to the
left of a left turn only lane (think Spring St, Melbourne, heading
north). For ***** sake! It is illegal to pass on the left of a vehicle
that is indicating to turn left, so what are you supposed to do? It's
virtually impossible actually use the bike lane.

It's no wonder I call these things "farcilities". They are by
definition a farce.

Show me a bike lane (on the road), and I'll tell you why it sucks.

The sooner the powers that be wake up to themselves, and educate the
motoring masses that bicyclists are legitimate road users, and that any
motorist that causes injury to a bicyclist will face heafty fines,
drivers license suspension or cancellation and gaol terms, the better.
It'll save us all a lot of money, time and lives, in wasted attempts to
change the infrastructure to solve the problem of cycling safety in
Australia.

rant_off/

--
JS.
Old February 24th 13, 01:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2013-02-21, James (aka Bruce)
[...]
The sooner the powers that be wake up to themselves, and educate the
motoring masses that bicyclists are legitimate road users, and that any
motorist that causes injury to a bicyclist will face heafty fines,
drivers license suspension or cancellation and gaol terms, the better.
It'll save us all a lot of money, time and lives, in wasted attempts to
change the infrastructure to solve the problem of cycling safety in
Australia.

rant_off/

Amen...

I ride outside pretty much all of the marked bike lanes on my commute.
The one that appears near the intersection of Camberwell & Seymour
Grove (opposite problem to most bike lanes - appearing at
intersections is no better than disappearing at intersections) just
means that you'd get squeezed when the 2 lanes + bike lane gets
converted into 1 lane + parked cars & indented curb.

I think my favourite for absurdity is Canterbury Road, Albert park.
Tree islands that encroach the bike lane. Parked cars that far
encroach the bike lane when their doors are closed. If you leave
enough room for an open door in peak hour, you're in the left hand
wheel track of the left lane.

--
TimC
Apparently to seek a mate, the male moose digs a hole of size something

that explains the potholes in most of the local bars parking lots.--Kevin Goebel
Old February 26th 13, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]

On 2013-02-21, James (aka Bruce)
[...]
The sooner the powers that be wake up to themselves, and educate the
motoring masses that bicyclists are legitimate road users, and that any
motorist that causes injury to a bicyclist will face heafty fines,
drivers license suspension or cancellation and gaol terms, the better.
It'll save us all a lot of money, time and lives, in wasted attempts to
change the infrastructure to solve the problem of cycling safety in
Australia.

rant_off/

Amen...

Or as the Velominati say, A-Merckx. ;-)

I ride outside pretty much all of the marked bike lanes on my commute.
The one that appears near the intersection of Camberwell& Seymour
Grove (opposite problem to most bike lanes - appearing at
intersections is no better than disappearing at intersections) just
means that you'd get squeezed when the 2 lanes + bike lane gets
converted into 1 lane + parked cars& indented curb.

I think my favourite for absurdity is Canterbury Road, Albert park.
Tree islands that encroach the bike lane. Parked cars that far
encroach the bike lane when their doors are closed. If you leave
enough room for an open door in peak hour, you're in the left hand
wheel track of the left lane.

I hear you, Brother.

In places I'm sure the councils were told to go forth and paint bike
lanes, for no other reason than to achieve a minimum number of km's of
marked bike lane - even if they make no sense.

--
JS.
Old February 27th 13, 07:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell[_2_]

What we need is the law in many European countries, "in an accident
involving a pedestrian or cyclist then the car driver is automatically
at fault unless they can prove otherwise"

Old March 2nd 13, 12:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2013-02-21, James (aka Bruce)
Wait for it, some bright spark has an idea to put a bike lane to the
left of a left turn only lane (think Spring St, Melbourne, heading
north). For ***** sake! It is illegal to pass on the left of a vehicle
that is indicating to turn left, so what are you supposed to do? It's
virtually impossible actually use the bike lane.

Speaking of which. Lastnight I came off on Swanston St. Some
****tard of a council worker parked his truck illegally in the bike
lane, so I had no choice but to go onto the tram tracks to go around
him. But it's not lit very brightly, and I forgot about the grade
separation.

When I get the hospital bill and can use my left arm again, it will be
going straight to the council.

--
TimC
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority for ATC. I
Old March 3rd 13, 12:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

On 2013-02-21, James (aka Bruce)
Wait for it, some bright spark has an idea to put a bike lane to the
left of a left turn only lane (think Spring St, Melbourne, heading
north). For ***** sake! It is illegal to pass on the left of a vehicle
that is indicating to turn left, so what are you supposed to do? It's
virtually impossible actually use the bike lane.

Speaking of which. Lastnight I came off on Swanston St. Some
****tard of a council worker parked his truck illegally in the bike
lane, so I had no choice but to go onto the tram tracks to go around
him. But it's not lit very brightly, and I forgot about the grade
separation.

When I get the hospital bill and can use my left arm again, it will be
going straight to the council.

Which will do nothing.
Keep us posted if you get anywhere.
Old March 18th 13, 02:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]