ATB pedal on Road Bike

Old July 10th 03, 11:29 PM
Dave Stallard

Default ATB pedal on Road Bike

brian hughes wrote:

I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently
have straps and toe clips on my Cannondale road bike. I want to go
clipless on it too. Is there any reason (disadvantage) to using ATB
pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money on a new
set of road shoes and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming
advantage, I really like the sunken cleats in the ATB style of shoe
versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. Thanks.

I've been using MTB clipless pedals on my road bike for years. I've had
Speedplay Magnums/Frogs, and now use Shimano SPDs.

A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there
is some. MTB pedals mostly have pretty small platforms. That's
certainly true of the Shimanos and especially the Speedplays. Pushing
on that for mile after mile hour after hour can make your feet
tired/painful, and make you long for something wider and/or longer.

I'd go for Looks except for the walking factor. Is there another road
pedal system out there that won't make you slip and fall in tbe
convenience store?

Dave
Old July 11th 03, 01:55 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:29:06 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:

A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there is
some. MTB pedals mostly have pretty small platforms. That's certainly
true of the Shimanos and especially the Speedplays. Pushing on that for
mile after mile hour after hour can make your feet tired/painful, and make
you long for something wider and/or longer.

If your shoe has a stiff-enough sole, there is no way you can tell a small
platform from a large one. If it does not have a stiff-enough sole, even
a large platform pedal will not suffice.

It's the shoe, not the pedal, that matters.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
_`\(,_ | that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
(_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

Old July 11th 03, 12:25 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:29:06 -0400, Dave Stallard
wrote:

A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there
is some. MTB pedals mostly have pretty small platforms.

Ever see a Speedplay X series road pedal? G

With a good shoe, the sole is the platform.

Barry

Old July 11th 03, 10:31 PM
Dave Stallard

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:29:06 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:

A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there is
some. MTB pedals mostly have pretty small platforms. That's certainly
true of the Shimanos and especially the Speedplays. Pushing on that for
mile after mile hour after hour can make your feet tired/painful, and make
you long for something wider and/or longer.

If your shoe has a stiff-enough sole, there is no way you can tell a small
platform from a large one. If it does not have a stiff-enough sole, even
a large platform pedal will not suffice.

Yes, but if your shoe has a stiff enough sole, you can't walk too
easily. I'm just wondering if there's a compromise point.

Dave

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
_`\(,_ | that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
(_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

PS Nice quote.
Old July 12th 03, 01:23 AM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:31:55 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:

Yes, but if your shoe has a stiff enough sole, you can't walk too easily.
I'm just wondering if there's a compromise point.

The compromise is irrelevant since road pedals all prevent walking anyway.
I have no trouble walking with my Carnacs, whose sole is very stiff. But
the guys I ride with who use road pedals always have trouble walking.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond
_`\(,_ |

Survey : Weight vs. battery life for bike computer? Doug General 7 July 14th 03 04:28 PM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM
Best road/touring bike under $900 Slavko Vorkapitch General 11 July 11th 03 05:48 AM
Venue to sell a bike Default General 4 July 10th 03 10:46 PM
Touring Bike Recomendations? Nartker General 4 July 10th 03 01:30 PM