Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

Old June 27th 03, 01:01 AM
Alan McClure

Default Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is 8-12
inches tall.

Do You:

1) get off and carry your bike over
2) hop over it
3)bunny hop over it
4)Other

You see, out of all the obstacles I come across, this is the only one that
consistently stumps me. I can get over them most of the time(especially
when they are smaller--heheheh), but it never feels smooth(rear wheel
bumps), sometimes I hit my chainring, and 1/3 of the time I fall or get
stuck. I am so frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to get
over them easily after many, many times trying. Soooo, what do you all do
when you see a log up ahead? And, what do you recommend me trying. I'll
practice anything if it'll help.

Thanks,

Alan McClure

Old June 27th 03, 01:13 AM
Jason

1) get off and carry your bike over

Still need to develop the skillz. 8-12" is a bit much for me, maybe in a
year or so Ill have the talent.

Old June 27th 03, 01:23 AM
Jon Bond

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
[...]

Hop it. If its under 6", and i've got speed, I'll just jump the sucker. I
don't have a great bunny hop, its more of a lift both wheels at once
clipless cheating thing, so anything bigger than that and I do my second
technique, which is basically a slow motion bunnyhop (I've done it on logs
up to approx 26"/wheelsize) -

Approach log fairly slowly, but not superslow. Figure middle front, one of
the three largest rear. Rock backwards on the bike, pulling the bar with
you, and get the front wheel on the very top of the log. Try to stay
forward on the bike, over the bars, when you get to the log - if you're too
far back, then you'll simply run right into the log with the rear wheel and
fall. Ok, here's the important step - and its pretty hard to do without
clipless. What you want to do is pull up the rear wheel and put it on top
of the log. At the same time, you want to throw the front of the bike
forwards and down. This is a VERY explosive move, you actually get both
tires off the ground for a bit. If you really do it well, and have enough
speed, you can actually clear the whole log this way. Usually, especially
on bigger logs, you'll simply end up with the front wheel down on the
ground, and the rear wheel on top. If you had the speed perfect, and do it
right, then the wheel will come right off, and not even hit the top hard.
If not, you can give a very small pedal stroke and just watch your balance.

Here's pretty much what I'm talking about, although Charlie doesn't quite
get the rear wheel all the way on top. Give 'im some slack tho, he is in
his mid 60s (and can still outpace me anyday, the guy's an animal!)
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

Hope that helps.

Jon Bond

Old June 27th 03, 01:33 AM
Alan McClure

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Okay, between photos 3 and 4, is he surging forward using a pedal stroke
that just hasn't been photographed, or is he just shifting his weight
forward (like in a bunny hop) explosively and letting the momentum carry him
up and over. I must say, that he makes it look super easy, and yet, I can't
imagine doing it myself. That is incredible.

Alan

Old June 27th 03, 02:17 AM
Jon Bond

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
newshMKa.27664$3d.16339@sccrnsc02...

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Its mostly just pulling up with the feet and pushing forwards and down with
the bars. I can't bunny hop for ****e, like I said, but I have no problems
getting over logs, and have taught 3 of my friends to do it (2 with
clipless, one with toe clips). Its easier if you see it done, so bug your
experienced mountain biking friends!

Jon Bond

Old June 27th 03, 02:38 AM
Jon Bond

"Jason" wrote in message

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
newshMKa.27664$3d.16339@sccrnsc02...

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I think my problem with this stunt is I cant get my arse over my seat! I
dunno if its my seat (Specialized BG Milano) or my post it too high, or my
short legs, probably the combination of all three. If I could get my butt
back there I would probably try this. Looks like fun!

Try starting with your seat all the way down. If your seat is too wide for
you to get behind, period, then a narrower saddle would really help - not
only in log jumping, but also steeps (I know I get behind my saddle on a lot
of trail stuff).

Oh yeah, and for everybody - watch the boyz, the seat can get kinda close if
you screw up

Jon Bond

Old June 27th 03, 02:51 AM
Jason

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
et...

"Jason" wrote in message

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
newshMKa.27664$3d.16339@sccrnsc02...

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

[...]

OOF I hear ya there. I think I need to cut my post down maybe two inches.
At its LOWEST (I have an FSR so it does have a lowest point) my knee only
bends very slightly while the pedal is extended. I find on the road,
raising the seat helps, but off road, lowering it helps as well. I have
plenty of post in the tube so I can stand to lose 2 inches, and I think that
even 1 inch *might* let me get my butt back. Still, I got this seat when I
was still acclimating to riding and wanted to cushion my butt. Its more of
a touring seat, I am considering asking for a Sella Italia Flite Ti Gel (one
with the taint hole) for my birthday in a few months. Any other seat
recommendations?

Old June 27th 03, 05:49 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Try starting with your seat all the way down. If your seat is too wide
for
you to get behind, period, then a narrower saddle would really help - not

This is absolutely critical. I endoed all the time because I couldn't get
my thighs around my old BMX saddle. In fact, I would endo randomly when I
wasn't pedaling and standing completely still on the ground. I would stop
at a stoplight on the way to the trail, and suddenly, I would just flip over
forwards because my saddle was too wide.

Traffic was usually amused.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 27th 03, 08:27 AM
bomba

Alan McClure wrote:
So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is 8-12
inches tall.

Do You:

1) get off and carry your bike over
2) hop over it
3)bunny hop over it
4)Other

Depends on the conditions. If you're on the ~flat with a nice run-in
and run-out, anything under 12" you should just bunny hop. Bends,
uphills, ruts, etc, all make hitting a log at a decent speed difficult,
in which case, it's the up-and-over described by Jon.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old June 27th 03, 12:36 PM
Trentus

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

snip

Here's pretty much what I'm talking about

snip
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

My problem with this trick, is the fact that while learning it I'm almost
certainly going to come a gutser at least a couple of dozen times, and I
just aint that keen on falling onto a hard log, or off one even for that
matter (strange I know)

I get the concept, I just aint got the guts to go try it out.

Trentus