What’s the lure of mountain or off-road riding?

Old January 25th 12, 11:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Trevor[_7_]

Default What’s the lure of mountain or off-road riding?

I'm not into any of that fancy stuff. I mostly just like riding
leisurely along the trail, enjoying nature - much like hiking.

- Trevor

On 1/8/2012 11:58 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Hmmm. Doesn't sound all that exciting to me. They also forgot about
"irritating land managers and other trail users, killing wildlife,
wrecking trails, and lying to everyone".

Mike

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...tain-questions

Q: So what’s the lure of mountain or off-road riding?

A: Here are some thoughts from Foresta: “Most of the thrills of
mountain biking come from tight turns or switchbacks, drops, whoop-de-
doos (a series of up and down bumps), rolling over things like downed
trees, rocks, etc., and jumps. Also, riding fast on a single track
curvy trail is very exhilarating.”

Old January 26th 12, 09:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 25, 2:35*pm, Trevor wrote:
I'm not into any of that fancy stuff. I mostly just like riding
leisurely along the trail, enjoying nature - much like hiking.

Not really. I guess you don't do much hiking. On a bike, you have to
pay attention to controlling the bike, or you will crash. While
hiking, you can experience nature 360 degrees and all the senses.
Mountain biking is all about the equipment. You don't need any special
"equipment" to hike. Unless you hike (or if you are addicted to
adrenaline), you will never understand this.

- Trevor

Old January 27th 12, 12:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Trevor[_7_]

On 1/26/2012 1:55 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:35 pm, wrote:
I'm not into any of that fancy stuff. I mostly just like riding
leisurely along the trail, enjoying nature - much like hiking.

Not really. I guess you don't do much hiking. On a bike, you have to
pay attention to controlling the bike, or you will crash. While
hiking, you can experience nature 360 degrees and all the senses.
Mountain biking is all about the equipment. You don't need any special
"equipment" to hike. Unless you hike (or if you are addicted to
adrenaline), you will never understand this.

I guess you can make mountain biking be all about the equipment, but
then you take all the fun out of it. Once you have a bike (it doesn't
have to be anything fancy), a helmet, and stuff to fix flats with,
you're all set.

I actually do a lot of hiking with my family, and I do have to pay
attention to where I'm going, much like I do when riding my bike. You do
need some equipment - at minimum good shoes or boots and a container to
hold water. I enjoy hiking, but usually spend a lot of the time wishing
I were riding my bike instead.

- Trevor
Old January 27th 12, 06:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 25, 2:35 pm, *wrote:
[...]

I guess you aren't there to experience nature or peace and quiet.
That's typical for mouintain bikers. They are addicted to the
adrenaline rush. Hiking isn't thrilling enough for them.

Can you be honest enough to say why you wish you were on your bike
instead of hiking? I rode a bike off-road once. It was the must
unpleasant time I have ever spent in nature. I really can't see a
single thing about it that is attractive. I saw nothing, and felt
rattled by the bumps.
Old January 27th 12, 10:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Trevor[_7_]

On 1/26/2012 10:53 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

I guess you aren't there to experience nature or peace and quiet.
That's typical for mouintain bikers. They are addicted to the
adrenaline rush. Hiking isn't thrilling enough for them.

Can you be honest enough to say why you wish you were on your bike
instead of hiking? I rode a bike off-road once. It was the must
unpleasant time I have ever spent in nature. I really can't see a
single thing about it that is attractive. I saw nothing, and felt
rattled by the bumps.

Enjoying nature and peace and quiet are actually exactly the reason I'm
there. Otherwise I'd stay on the pavement.

I may not be your typical mountain biker, but I prefer riding over
hiking because I can go a lot further with less effort. I can see and
enjoy more of the outdoors. I often stop and take pictures. Sorry your
experience hasn't been the same.

- Trevor
Old January 27th 12, 10:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

*
* Can you be honest enough to say why you wish you were on your bike
* instead of hiking? I rode a bike off-road once. It was the must
* unpleasant time I have ever spent in nature. I really can't see a
* single thing about it that is attractive. I saw nothing, and felt
* rattled by the bumps.

Enjoying nature and peace and quiet are actually exactly the reason I'm
there. Otherwise I'd stay on the pavement.

I may not be your typical mountain biker, but I prefer riding over
hiking because I can go a lot further with less effort. I can see and
enjoy more of the outdoors. I often stop and take pictures. Sorry your
experience hasn't been the same.

- Trevor

That's what I thought. You are confusing quantity with quality.
Mountain bikers do travel much farther than hikers, and therefore do a
lot more damage and impact a lot more wildlife. But while you are
riding, you only THINK you are "seeing" a lot. A cursory glance is not
the same as seeing something. By the same token, five minutes walking
in nature beats an hour of driving on a "scenic highway". You can use
all of your senses. Mountain bikers miss 99% of that. When you have
sex, or dance, do you think faster is better? You can see how idiotic
that kind of thinking is. If you can get around the dance floor faster
than anyone else, or cover more distance, is that better? Do you have
a better experience? No, of course not. You are on the wrong track.
Old January 26th 12, 09:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 25, 2:35*pm, Trevor wrote:
I'm not into any of that fancy stuff. I mostly just like riding
leisurely along the trail, enjoying nature - much like hiking.

- Trevor

On 1/8/2012 11:58 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Hmmm. Doesn't sound all that exciting to me. They also forgot about
"irritating land managers and other trail users, killing wildlife,
wrecking trails, and lying to everyone".

Mike

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...0303/301080047...

Q: So what’s the lure of mountain or off-road riding?

A: Here are some thoughts from Foresta: “Most of the thrills of
mountain biking come from tight turns or switchbacks, drops, whoop-de-
doos (a series of up and down bumps), rolling over things like downed
trees, rocks, etc., and jumps. Also, riding fast on a single track
curvy trail is very exhilarating.”- Hide quoted text -