A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bikes and Riding



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 12th 21, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Bikes and Riding

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:53:19 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 12:30:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:55:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:13:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:55:38 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 3:11:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Supposedly this is a technical advice group. There is in general very little of that and instead people who know very little about the subject criticizing those who do.

Be that as it may, this is still a bicycle technical advice group and should remain as such with the usual flights of fancy by those who think while they are riding.

I use Chinese Carbon deep Aero wheels. Since these are widely used around the world it isn't as if they don't know what they are doing. I've used them a lot and the one real weakness is that carbon simply brakes crappy. This is somewhat ameliorated by using Campagnolo carbon specific brake shoes, but it is still a problem if not as bad.

Aluminum rims as everyone knows stop quite well though there has recently been arguments of whether disks are better still. My experience with disks is that they are too far in the opposite direction and are far too easy to lock the wheels. Being KING of fall downs I know what that can mean.

So I have bought Campagnolo and Fulcrum Italian aluminum wheels quite a bit but then miss the aero advantage of the carbon wheels.

This was changed by the Pro-Lite Brachiano wheels that are 42 mm Aero section aluminum wheels. These wheels are undetectably less aero than the 50 mm carbon wheels I've been using. Their one weakness is that they are set up for Tubeless use which means that it is difficult to mount and dismount tires for repairs. Not impossible on the roads but neither is it user friendly.

So I have turned to Chinese carbon aero section wheels that have aluminum braking surfaces and clincher design. These mount and dismount wheels just like the old time wheels did.https://www.ebay.com/itm/20238188248...53.m2749.l2649 Superteam wheels are very well built and obviously constructed on the machine i previously described. They arrived perfectly straight and round not showing any problems whatsoever.

They have an added advantage. The failure mode of Aero carbon wheels is that if you overfill them (put in too much pressure) the carbon wheels will delaminate. These Superteam wheels with aluminum braking surfaces have an entire aluminum rim embedded in them and should be completely proof against that failure.

They are more expensive to replace than the disks and pads on a disk bike but not by much as you can see. And these prices are a lot higher than they were under Trump

So there is an answer to poor braking and Aero sections that doesn't explode your pocketbook.
Do you actually ride down the road on those wheels -- with the giant, fluorescent puke-green SUPER TEAM logos? That's like screaming, "I'm riding cheap Chinese carbon wheels!" https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kWcAA...NT/s-l1600.jpg I'd be embarrassed. You should hit those with a heat gun and peel off the logos, assuming the heat doesn't cause the sidewalls to delaminate.

-- Jay Beattie.
Maybe with matching colors of the frame and cycling clothes...Nah......
I hate to point this out to you but they are the same colors as my Tinkoff team kit.
You wear Euro trash team kit? Really?

BTW, how on earth can you tell whether the SUPER TEAM wheels are any good? Its nice they [claim to] use Toray T700 CF, which is good raw material, but who knows about the lay-up or resin quality. Also, they have $40 hubs. https://tinyurl.com/m652nwu8 These are CNC'd and not forged (apparently).. Soft flanges, teeny front bearings and probably no-name 6902/6802 bearings, unknown spokes, nipples -- el cheapo pawl/spring and a soft freehub body..

Have you ever changed the pressed-in hub bearings in one of these Chinese commodity hubs? Do you have the tools? I have the tools and made what I was missing, and changing the bearings is tedious -- and with your cognitive issues, you may have difficulty. You would be better off with some ho-made wheels with Shimano hubs and maybe some aluminum semi-aero rims, or if you have to have a Campy cassette, maybe some Miche hubs.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../11839846.html. Get good spokes, and you're still in the $400 range and have a bullet proof wheel at about the same weight -- just not as Chinese or as aero. BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.

How can you tell that Bontrager wheels are made properly? They're probably made on the same assembly line. On these hubs I have about 10,000 miles of experience without a problem. My cop friend and a heavy friend have to replace their Mavic Kyseriums yearly.

As for the hubs; Chris Robinson said that he has built a dozen wheels with those same hubs and he thinks they are great. Since he was the team mechanic for 7-11 I'm more likely to take his word for it than yours. And besides, the hubs on mine are R34 - carbon fiber hubs with double drive side bearings that I have a lot of experience with. I have one set of these wheels that are 6 years old. And no problems despite being a 20 and 24 spoke count. And the brake tracks show wear but not enough to worry about. None of the layup is showing. Can you say the same about your wheels?

They should be triple drive side bearings -- one in the hub shell and two in the freehub body. And for all you know, they could be POS bearings, as is typical with the Chi-Tai cheap hubs. I've had Novatec OE hubs and had to replace the freehub bearings on those, and they're a step-up from Powerway.. You also have soft hub-shells and freehub bodies that can get chewed up, including the pawl engagement splines in the hub shell. FYI, your flanges and bearing seats are aluminum -- just the center section is CF.

No matter how you slice it, cheap is cheap. Go compare your hubs to an expensive set of DTs or CK or WI. Those hubs are in a different league.

I'm hard on my equipment and prefer better bearings, forged shells and easier serviceability. I also get EP on Roval wheels -- so for your Powerway price, I get DT hubs. I did pay full Wiggle discount price for my C35s with ordinary cup/cone hubs. https://www.cyclist.co.uk/shimano/11...ace-c35-review 8 years old and going strong, although the front brake track is pretty beaten up. The hubs are flawless and easily serviced. I have HED Ardennes on the fast rain bike. The HED hubs are a bit of black-box and more like the Chi-Tai standard, although they have a really robust 5-pawl freehub body instead of the three pawl on your hubs. They're also through-axle. I was going to build that set on some WI or Shimano hubs, but I got lazy an there was a sale. Belgian rims are incredibly expensive, and it was actually cheaper to buy the whole wheel on sale at Western Bikeworks than build it.

I built my commuter wheels -- ****ty M525 hubs on Velocity Touring Discs (a discontinued rim), and they have lasted over a decade. I don't even remember when I built them. The spokes cost more than the hubs, and the rims were a sale-table item from Universal. The front alternate dyno wheel on a Sun CR18 is newer. There is really nothing better from a serviceability and durability standpoint than a standard, well-sealed cup-and-cone hub, SS spokes and a good aluminum rim. I suppose with CF, you don't get rim cracking, but I'm not running CF on a commuter with a rack.

BTW, Bontrager rebranded DT hubs for a long while, but I don't know who currently supplies the hubs for their wheels. I haven't looked at a Trek BOM for a long time but would assume the manufacturers vary depending on where you are in the product line. And with Bontrager, you get a warranty and a shop.


Uh, yeah Jay, you have better stuff. OK. My direct experience with the stuff you like to recommend shows me it is crap. Mavic made decent wheels but not the one's that people ride. They ride the superlight, break in mere months sets and then complain because they need to be replaced so often. Most of the Look carbon framesets and many components are made in China. They are considered the second best in the world after Time which is also made in China but with a different method and material.

As I said, I have 6 years on one of those sets of carbon clincher wheels. And those wheels react to side winds better than the Kyseriums I had. And the Campy Neurons I had broke on the third ride.
Ads
  #12  
Old June 13th 21, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,870
Default Bikes and Riding

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:16:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:53:19 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 12:30:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:55:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:13:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:55:38 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 3:11:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Supposedly this is a technical advice group. There is in general very little of that and instead people who know very little about the subject criticizing those who do.

Be that as it may, this is still a bicycle technical advice group and should remain as such with the usual flights of fancy by those who think while they are riding.

I use Chinese Carbon deep Aero wheels. Since these are widely used around the world it isn't as if they don't know what they are doing.. I've used them a lot and the one real weakness is that carbon simply brakes crappy. This is somewhat ameliorated by using Campagnolo carbon specific brake shoes, but it is still a problem if not as bad.

Aluminum rims as everyone knows stop quite well though there has recently been arguments of whether disks are better still. My experience with disks is that they are too far in the opposite direction and are far too easy to lock the wheels. Being KING of fall downs I know what that can mean.

So I have bought Campagnolo and Fulcrum Italian aluminum wheels quite a bit but then miss the aero advantage of the carbon wheels.

This was changed by the Pro-Lite Brachiano wheels that are 42 mm Aero section aluminum wheels. These wheels are undetectably less aero than the 50 mm carbon wheels I've been using. Their one weakness is that they are set up for Tubeless use which means that it is difficult to mount and dismount tires for repairs. Not impossible on the roads but neither is it user friendly.

So I have turned to Chinese carbon aero section wheels that have aluminum braking surfaces and clincher design. These mount and dismount wheels just like the old time wheels did.https://www.ebay.com/itm/20238188248...53.m2749.l2649 Superteam wheels are very well built and obviously constructed on the machine i previously described. They arrived perfectly straight and round not showing any problems whatsoever.

They have an added advantage. The failure mode of Aero carbon wheels is that if you overfill them (put in too much pressure) the carbon wheels will delaminate. These Superteam wheels with aluminum braking surfaces have an entire aluminum rim embedded in them and should be completely proof against that failure.

They are more expensive to replace than the disks and pads on a disk bike but not by much as you can see. And these prices are a lot higher than they were under Trump

So there is an answer to poor braking and Aero sections that doesn't explode your pocketbook.
Do you actually ride down the road on those wheels -- with the giant, fluorescent puke-green SUPER TEAM logos? That's like screaming, "I'm riding cheap Chinese carbon wheels!" https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kWcAA...NT/s-l1600.jpg I'd be embarrassed. You should hit those with a heat gun and peel off the logos, assuming the heat doesn't cause the sidewalls to delaminate.

-- Jay Beattie.
Maybe with matching colors of the frame and cycling clothes...Nah.....
I hate to point this out to you but they are the same colors as my Tinkoff team kit.
You wear Euro trash team kit? Really?

BTW, how on earth can you tell whether the SUPER TEAM wheels are any good? Its nice they [claim to] use Toray T700 CF, which is good raw material, but who knows about the lay-up or resin quality. Also, they have $40 hubs. https://tinyurl.com/m652nwu8 These are CNC'd and not forged (apparently). Soft flanges, teeny front bearings and probably no-name 6902/6802 bearings, unknown spokes, nipples -- el cheapo pawl/spring and a soft freehub body.

Have you ever changed the pressed-in hub bearings in one of these Chinese commodity hubs? Do you have the tools? I have the tools and made what I was missing, and changing the bearings is tedious -- and with your cognitive issues, you may have difficulty. You would be better off with some ho-made wheels with Shimano hubs and maybe some aluminum semi-aero rims, or if you have to have a Campy cassette, maybe some Miche hubs.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../11839846.html. Get good spokes, and you're still in the $400 range and have a bullet proof wheel at about the same weight -- just not as Chinese or as aero. BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
How can you tell that Bontrager wheels are made properly? They're probably made on the same assembly line. On these hubs I have about 10,000 miles of experience without a problem. My cop friend and a heavy friend have to replace their Mavic Kyseriums yearly.

As for the hubs; Chris Robinson said that he has built a dozen wheels with those same hubs and he thinks they are great. Since he was the team mechanic for 7-11 I'm more likely to take his word for it than yours. And besides, the hubs on mine are R34 - carbon fiber hubs with double drive side bearings that I have a lot of experience with. I have one set of these wheels that are 6 years old. And no problems despite being a 20 and 24 spoke count. And the brake tracks show wear but not enough to worry about. None of the layup is showing. Can you say the same about your wheels?

They should be triple drive side bearings -- one in the hub shell and two in the freehub body. And for all you know, they could be POS bearings, as is typical with the Chi-Tai cheap hubs. I've had Novatec OE hubs and had to replace the freehub bearings on those, and they're a step-up from Powerway. You also have soft hub-shells and freehub bodies that can get chewed up, including the pawl engagement splines in the hub shell. FYI, your flanges and bearing seats are aluminum -- just the center section is CF.

No matter how you slice it, cheap is cheap. Go compare your hubs to an expensive set of DTs or CK or WI. Those hubs are in a different league.

I'm hard on my equipment and prefer better bearings, forged shells and easier serviceability. I also get EP on Roval wheels -- so for your Powerway price, I get DT hubs. I did pay full Wiggle discount price for my C35s with ordinary cup/cone hubs. https://www.cyclist.co.uk/shimano/11...ace-c35-review 8 years old and going strong, although the front brake track is pretty beaten up. The hubs are flawless and easily serviced. I have HED Ardennes on the fast rain bike. The HED hubs are a bit of black-box and more like the Chi-Tai standard, although they have a really robust 5-pawl freehub body instead of the three pawl on your hubs. They're also through-axle. I was going to build that set on some WI or Shimano hubs, but I got lazy an there was a sale. Belgian rims are incredibly expensive, and it was actually cheaper to buy the whole wheel on sale at Western Bikeworks than build it.

I built my commuter wheels -- ****ty M525 hubs on Velocity Touring Discs (a discontinued rim), and they have lasted over a decade. I don't even remember when I built them. The spokes cost more than the hubs, and the rims were a sale-table item from Universal. The front alternate dyno wheel on a Sun CR18 is newer. There is really nothing better from a serviceability and durability standpoint than a standard, well-sealed cup-and-cone hub, SS spokes and a good aluminum rim. I suppose with CF, you don't get rim cracking, but I'm not running CF on a commuter with a rack.

BTW, Bontrager rebranded DT hubs for a long while, but I don't know who currently supplies the hubs for their wheels. I haven't looked at a Trek BOM for a long time but would assume the manufacturers vary depending on where you are in the product line. And with Bontrager, you get a warranty and a shop.

Uh, yeah Jay, you have better stuff. OK. My direct experience with the stuff you like to recommend shows me it is crap. Mavic made decent wheels but not the one's that people ride. They ride the superlight, break in mere months sets and then complain because they need to be replaced so often. Most of the Look carbon framesets and many components are made in China. They are considered the second best in the world after Time which is also made in China but with a different method and material.

As I said, I have 6 years on one of those sets of carbon clincher wheels. And those wheels react to side winds better than the Kyseriums I had. And the Campy Neurons I had broke on the third ride.


You have zero experience with my wheels, which are not super-light -- but are lighter than your Chi super-wheels. Then again, most 32 spoke, reasonable weight aluminum rim wheels will come in less than a cheap 50mm CF aero wheel.

To recap, my prefab (non ho-made) wheels are 8 year old Shimano C35 (Shimano hubs), HED Aredenne discs (HED hubs), Roval C38 discs (courtesy of my son, DT hubs). I have OE Norco wheels that came on my gravel bike with Novatec hubs, and those got maybe 500 miles before the freehub bearings were shot -- so I replaced them. There was also a lot of gouging of the freehub body because it is relatively soft.

I have the OE Bontrager wheels that came on my Emonda SLR, and I have no idea what hubs those are, but I do know that the front, radially spoked wheel was not robust enough, and I broke a spoke -- a direct pull, and I haven't bothered replacing it, because I use the C35s on that bike. Its my only rim-brake bike.

I have one set of Mavic Shytium wheels that came OE on my dearly departed SuperSix. I rode them maybe three times, and they would go out of true by the end of each ride. They were junk good for holding up the bike on the showroom floor, and now they're hanging on the wall waiting to go to the Community Cycling Center. Before the SuperSix was killed by my wife in a roof rack incident, I was using my own ho-made wheels that ended up on my son's CAAD 9, which was his first college racing bike.

I have no Chi-junk super-aero wheels and feel no need to own a 50mm rim wheel.

-- Jay Beattie.
  #13  
Old June 13th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,538
Default Bikes and Riding

On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.

That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.


Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride? What would enter your mind that it was your business to tell me how to ride?


Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why do you post
here endlessly discussing your rides - how many miles, how many feet you
climbed, whether you felt faster or slower, whether you had enough
sleep, who passed you and who you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and fitness.
Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #14  
Old June 13th 21, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Bikes and Riding

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 8:45:03 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.


Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride? What would enter your mind that it was your business to tell me how to ride?

Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why do you post
here endlessly discussing your rides - how many miles, how many feet you
climbed, whether you felt faster or slower, whether you had enough
sleep, who passed you and who you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and fitness.
Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi


I post about my rides which is pertinent to my bikes and you are so psychologically damaged that you believe it is a cry for help. Frank, every posting you make shows that there is definitely something wrong with you. Go ride your 20 year old piece of **** any way you like. Real bicyclists will ride as they like.
  #15  
Old June 13th 21, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,447
Default Bikes and Riding

On 6/13/2021 10:44 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm
because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a
guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero
equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo
rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no
prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels,
he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/

and accept being the guy on the left.


Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride?
What would enter your mind that it was your business to
tell me how to ride?


Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why
do you post here endlessly discussing your rides - how many
miles, how many feet you climbed, whether you felt faster or
slower, whether you had enough sleep, who passed you and who
you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and
fitness. Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma
Gandhi



Not really.
An inspiring 3 minute video, applicable to bicycles as well
as motorcycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXPGE0klmc



--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #16  
Old June 13th 21, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 826
Default Bikes and Riding

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:45:03 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.


Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride? What would enter your mind that it was your business to tell me how to ride?

Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why do you post
here endlessly discussing your rides - how many miles, how many feet you
climbed, whether you felt faster or slower, whether you had enough
sleep, who passed you and who you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and fitness.
Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi


--
- Frank Krygowski


If I act my age I would be riding an E bike paying no attention and bother every faster rider half of the time.
No thanks. It was sunny 24 C and there were swarms of:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yABdU24Z5puSZEE28.
You better be home before 13.00u (1.00 pm) on a day like today. More and more I appreciate rainy and or cold days when it is quiet on my routes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L2ZfaBmiUzu6RDiR8

Lou

  #17  
Old June 13th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Bikes and Riding

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:39:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:45:03 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.

Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride? What would enter your mind that it was your business to tell me how to ride?

Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why do you post
here endlessly discussing your rides - how many miles, how many feet you
climbed, whether you felt faster or slower, whether you had enough
sleep, who passed you and who you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and fitness.
Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi


--
- Frank Krygowski

If I act my age I would be riding an E bike paying no attention and bother every faster rider half of the time.
No thanks. It was sunny 24 C and there were swarms of:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yABdU24Z5puSZEE28.
You better be home before 13.00u (1.00 pm) on a day like today. More and more I appreciate rainy and or cold days when it is quiet on my routes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L2ZfaBmiUzu6RDiR8


There is NO PLACE on any of my rides where I don't have to be careful of auto traffic all of the moments of my ride. Though on a couple of descents I normally go faster than cars care to go on the poor pavement or dangerous side entries from homes where drivers don't even bother to look upon entering. It isn't unusual for me to have to dodge around the back of a car pulling out into the road without looking. At the moment I am stuck here because my older brother may require assistance and my younger brother is moving to Reno NV to get away from the immense crime in California. But when he passes on I will probably move to Klamath Falls, Oregon. It rains a LOT in Oregon but it also has a very large number of sunny days there as well. Between snow storms I suppose.
  #18  
Old June 13th 21, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,538
Default Bikes and Riding

On 6/13/2021 12:33 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/13/2021 10:44 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm
because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a
guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero
equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo
rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no
prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels,
he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/

and accept being the guy on the left.

Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride?
What would enter your mind that it was your business to
tell me how to ride?


Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why
do you post here endlessly discussing your rides - how many
miles, how many feet you climbed, whether you felt faster or
slower, whether you had enough sleep, who passed you and who
you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and
fitness. Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma
Gandhi



Not really.
An inspiring 3 minute video, applicable to bicycles as well as motorcycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXPGE0klmc


I like the video. I like the concept.

But those guys aren't racing, or trying for ever better ride data. It
looks like they're going out to see the world, using their old
motorcycles, which don't look to be performance oriented. (That's no
more than a 250cc bike at https://youtu.be/2XXPGE0klmc?t=153 )

Tom isn't emulating those guys.

If those guys did it Tom-style, they each would have bought one of
these: https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/top-ten/sports-bikes

In fact, I'm surprised Tom hasn't done that. He used to race motorcycles.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #19  
Old June 13th 21, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Bikes and Riding

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 11:00:16 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/13/2021 12:33 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/13/2021 10:44 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm
because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a
guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero
equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo
rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no
prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels,
he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/

and accept being the guy on the left.

Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride?
What would enter your mind that it was your business to
tell me how to ride?

Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why
do you post here endlessly discussing your rides - how many
miles, how many feet you climbed, whether you felt faster or
slower, whether you had enough sleep, who passed you and who
you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and
fitness. Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma
Gandhi



Not really.
An inspiring 3 minute video, applicable to bicycles as well as motorcycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXPGE0klmc

I like the video. I like the concept.

But those guys aren't racing, or trying for ever better ride data. It
looks like they're going out to see the world, using their old
motorcycles, which don't look to be performance oriented. (That's no
more than a 250cc bike at https://youtu.be/2XXPGE0klmc?t=153 )

Tom isn't emulating those guys.

If those guys did it Tom-style, they each would have bought one of
these: https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/top-ten/sports-bikes

In fact, I'm surprised Tom hasn't done that. He used to race motorcycles.


More Frank telling other people how they should ride. Well you have to admit, he is comical.
  #20  
Old June 13th 21, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,538
Default Bikes and Riding

On 6/13/2021 12:39 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:45:03 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:32:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2021 12:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
BTW, I don't like anything bigger than about 38mm because they're sails, and I'm not riding TTs.
That final phrase is the most important, IME. Why is a guy like Tom, in
his seventh decade, buying ever lighter, ever more aero equipment?

As he describes things, he's doing almost entirely solo rides. If he
finishes his ride three minutes earlier, he gets no prize. And if he is
faster than last year because he bought new aero wheels, he's not in
better shape.

Tome needs to stop trying to be the guy on the right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallbl...n/photostream/
and accept being the guy on the left.

Frank, when did I ever suggest to you how you should ride? What would enter your mind that it was your business to tell me how to ride?

Tom, if you don't want to discuss how you should ride, why do you post
here endlessly discussing your rides - how many miles, how many feet you
climbed, whether you felt faster or slower, whether you had enough
sleep, who passed you and who you passed, etc.?

Do you not notice that nobody else does that more than rarely?

Surely you don't do it because you think we're really curious!

So maybe it's a subconscious desire for good advice.

Here it is again: Act your age. Quit trying to buy youth and fitness.
Slow down, look around, appreciate the scenery.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi


--
- Frank Krygowski


If I act my age I would be riding an E bike paying no attention and bother every faster rider half of the time.
No thanks.


I'm way older than you, Lou. I don't ride an e-bike. The friends I ride
with also don't use them. We ride at the pace we ride. And if someone is
slower on a particular day, we wait up.

I do know one guy who bought an e-bike so he could keep up with the fast
riders, but I think that's a little weird. Those fast guys are doing
hours of real training to enjoy some friendly competition and to push
themselves. (Been there, done that. It's fun.)

Showing up with a big pot belly and an electric motor to ride "A" rides
seems somehow wrong.

--
- Frank Krygowski
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There ARE more adults riding bikes PatTX General 84 October 27th 08 03:30 AM
SOMETIMES RIDING BIKES IS BAD FOR YOUR YOU [email protected] General 44 November 17th 07 03:44 AM
riding bikes ROCKS Bleve Australia 24 December 15th 05 07:10 PM
What bikes are 6'4" blokes riding. Peter Goddard UK 13 March 16th 05 10:08 AM
What bikes should I be test riding? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 April 13th 04 08:23 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.