A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 1st 07, 02:06 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

Another reason not to allow mountain biking at night. Or at ANY time!

Mike


http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/arc...es/10local.htm




Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident

By JENNIFER SQUIRES
Sentinel staff writer

APTOS * An evening bike ride in the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park
turned perilous for a local couple Monday when the woman rode off an
80-foot cliff and her husband plummeted nearly as far trying to rescue
her.

Both suffered life-threatening injuries, but were listed in stable
condition at Regional Medical Center in San Jose on Tuesday afternoon,
according to State Parks supervising ranger Bill Wolcott.

State Parks rangers say the mountain biking accident is one of the
worst they've seen in recent memory.

"It had more severe injuries than we normally get," Wolcott said.

Rangers respond to a handful of mountain biking accidents a month,
mostly riders who fracture arms, legs and "a lot collarbones," Wolcott
said.

The riders injured Monday, who are both in their 50s, suffered
possible back fractures when they fell from the Aptos Creek Fire Road
into the creek bed, fire officials said. The woman broke ribs and her
nose; the man suffered a broken hip and a dislocated or broken
shoulder.

Authorities, who have been unable to interview the couple yet, are
trying to piece together how the accident happened. Their names have
not been released.

"Some witnesses said they'd seen them up at Sandpoint Overlook within
an hour" of when the riders were found, Wolcott said.

Apparently, the woman rode off the cliff and the man thought he could
slide down to reach her, but he ended up falling as well, according to
fire officials. It's unknown what time the pair actually fell, but
Wolcott estimated it was near dusk.

"Around 8 p.m. an off-duty park employee was riding his bike in Nisene
and he heard cries for help and located the two patients down in the
creek bed," Wolcott said. "He went and summoned help and emergency
crews from State Parks, Cal Fire and Aptos/La Selva Fire District
responded"

The mountain bikers crashed about three miles from the kiosk at the
entrance of the park and, once they were discovered, people hiking
nearby gathered to help. Two bystanders, including a Santa Cruz city
park ranger, hiked up the creek bed from the Mill Pond Trail to
provide first aid to the couple while they waited for rescuers.

Fire crews and State Parks rangers used a pulley system and a basket
to haul the couple up the cliff. The woman was pulled out around 10
p.m. and the man about an hour later, according to Wolcott. Both were
flown from Seacliff State Beach to Regional Medical Center for
treatment, he said.

State Parks rangers are called out to two or three mountain biking
crashes in the county each month, authorities said, although they
estimate more riders are hurt on local trails.

"I'm sure that for every accident that we actually respond to I'm sure
there's probably three or four more where people take care of
themselves," Wolcott said.

Keith Bontrager, 52, a world-class mountain bike racer who lives in
Santa Cruz, said "Crashing is part of cycling. If you ride a lot,
you're going to crash"

The area where the couple crashed is not a particularly bad spot for
riders, authorities said, but accidents happen on most local trails
and fire roads that are open to bikes.

"The highest concentration of mountain biking in the county would be
at Wilder Ranch, then Nisene Marks," Wolcott said, adding a lot of
riders also go down in the Soquel Demonstration Forest, just beyond
Nisene Marks.

Changing trail conditions, mechanical failures and the time of day are
big factors in mountain biking accidents, authorities said. Darkness
comes significantly earlier in Nisene Marks because of the steep
ravines and heavy foliage, and it's unknown if the mountain bikers
were using lights.

Bontrager, who laughed when asked if he'd crashed before, said
mountain bikers go down for a variety of reasons.

"It depends on the rider," Bontrager said, emphasizing he didn't know
the details of Monday's crash. "If it's an experienced rider it can be
a misjudgment and you don't make it, but that doesn't happen very
often. ... If it's a novice rider, they can just get in over their
heads"

Contact Jennifer Squires at .
--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Ads
  #2  
Old September 1st 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Just zis Guy, you know?
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,612
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

Yet another cynical exploitation of the pain of others to suit this
trolling ****wit's Holy Jihad against mountain biking. Why does
Vandeman post **** like this? It's so that we all know what a
complete **** he is. Well done, Mike, once again you reinforce the
conclusion that you are utterly devoid of human decency.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
  #3  
Old September 1st 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:56:56 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

Yet another cynical exploitation of the pain of others to suit this
trolling ****wit's Holy Jihad against mountain biking. Why does
Vandeman post **** like this? It's so that we all know what a
complete **** he is. Well done, Mike, once again you reinforce the
conclusion that you are utterly devoid of human decency.


Au contraire, dum dum. I'm the only one who really CARES about the
welfare of mountain bikers -- enough to warn them. The rest of you
dishonest people would rather sweep this reality under the rug: see
how you delete the entire message, before posting your worthless
remarks? QED

Guy

--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #4  
Old September 1st 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Just zis Guy, you know?
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,612
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:35:50 GMT, Mike Vandeman
said in
:

Yet another cynical exploitation of the pain of others to suit this
trolling ****wit's Holy Jihad against mountain biking. Why does
Vandeman post **** like this? It's so that we all know what a
complete **** he is. Well done, Mike, once again you reinforce the
conclusion that you are utterly devoid of human decency.


Au contraire, dum dum. I'm the only one who really CARES about the
welfare of mountain bikers -- enough to warn them. The rest of you
dishonest people would rather sweep this reality under the rug: see
how you delete the entire message, before posting your worthless
remarks? QED


Why waste your time with an activity that is so very unlikely to
result in death or serious injury? If your concern is to prevent
death or serious injury why not tackle the biggest single cause of
it, motor traffic?

Your approach is as stupid as mounting a campaign against running
with scissors in the middle of a war zone.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
  #5  
Old September 2nd 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:42:38 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:35:50 GMT, Mike Vandeman
said in
:

Yet another cynical exploitation of the pain of others to suit this
trolling ****wit's Holy Jihad against mountain biking. Why does
Vandeman post **** like this? It's so that we all know what a
complete **** he is. Well done, Mike, once again you reinforce the
conclusion that you are utterly devoid of human decency.


Au contraire, dum dum. I'm the only one who really CARES about the
welfare of mountain bikers -- enough to warn them. The rest of you
dishonest people would rather sweep this reality under the rug: see
how you delete the entire message, before posting your worthless
remarks? QED


Why waste your time with an activity that is so very unlikely to
result in death or serious injury?


Precisely because that's not true. We hear of a serious injury or
death just about every week. PER HOUR, mountain biking is MUCH more
dangerous than driving.
--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #6  
Old September 2nd 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Just zis Guy, you know?
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,612
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:20:32 -0700, Mike Vandeman
said in
:

Why waste your time with an activity that is so very unlikely to
result in death or serious injury?


Precisely because that's not true. We hear of a serious injury or
death just about every week. PER HOUR, mountain biking is MUCH more
dangerous than driving.


So you say, but we all know you're full of ****, so how about
posting some independent data that backs it up, eh? Bear in mind
that tens of thousands of people die on your roads every year, so
many that a road traffic fatality rarely gets reported anywhere at
all, except as a source of yet another traffic jam.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
  #7  
Old September 3rd 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Marz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 610
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

On Sep 1, 10:20 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:42:38 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"



wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:35:50 GMT, Mike Vandeman
said in
:


Yet another cynical exploitation of the pain of others to suit this
trolling ****wit's Holy Jihad against mountain biking. Why does
Vandeman post **** like this? It's so that we all know what a
complete **** he is. Well done, Mike, once again you reinforce the
conclusion that you are utterly devoid of human decency.


Au contraire, dum dum. I'm the only one who really CARES about the
welfare of mountain bikers -- enough to warn them. The rest of you
dishonest people would rather sweep this reality under the rug: see
how you delete the entire message, before posting your worthless
remarks? QED


Why waste your time with an activity that is so very unlikely to
result in death or serious injury?


Precisely because that's not true. We hear of a serious injury or
death just about every week. PER HOUR, mountain biking is MUCH more
dangerous than driving.



That would be a LIE micky-boy.

  #8  
Old September 4th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default "Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident"

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 00:37:30 -0000, Marz
wrote:

On Sep 1, 10:20 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:42:38 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"



wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:35:50 GMT, Mike Vandeman
said in
:


Yet another cynical exploitation of the pain of others to suit this
trolling ****wit's Holy Jihad against mountain biking. Why does
Vandeman post **** like this? It's so that we all know what a
complete **** he is. Well done, Mike, once again you reinforce the
conclusion that you are utterly devoid of human decency.


Au contraire, dum dum. I'm the only one who really CARES about the
welfare of mountain bikers -- enough to warn them. The rest of you
dishonest people would rather sweep this reality under the rug: see
how you delete the entire message, before posting your worthless
remarks? QED


Why waste your time with an activity that is so very unlikely to
result in death or serious injury?


Precisely because that's not true. We hear of a serious injury or
death just about every week. PER HOUR, mountain biking is MUCH more
dangerous than driving.



That would be a LIE micky-boy.


Nope, FACT. OBVIOUS fact.
--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident" Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 7 September 4th 07 06:58 AM
Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 0 June 1st 06 08:15 PM
Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail! Bill Baka General 0 May 29th 06 12:10 AM
Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprisedby hate mail! ChainSmoker Mountain Biking 0 May 27th 06 05:39 PM
Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprised by hate mail! tom Mountain Biking 0 May 16th 06 04:22 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.