Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale

Old July 27th 05, 07:02 PM
Leo Lichtman

Default Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale

"Sheldon Brown" wrote: (clip)When things get really busy, we have to cut
back somewhere, and the most time intensive aspect is taking phone orders.
In the time it takes to field a phone call, one of our folks can often fill
3 or 4 Internet orders (clip)We consider filling actual orders that we have
received to be a higher priority than taking new orders that we may not have
time to fill in a timely fashion.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you need to reexamine the above reasoning. I do understand your
problem, BUT:

Orders come in randomly, so there will be times when your staff are not
receiving any, and other times when they are overloaded. E-mail orders can
be processed just as well during the off-peak periods--they don't have to be
pushed through just because they have been received. Each phone order is a
live person trying to talk to a live person. There is a real reason to
field phone calls first. A phone customer who is not handled well winds up
initiating THIS kind of a discussion. And, even if they don't, you may
create a resistance to further business from them. E-mail orders that are
processed hours after they are received don't cause the same stress.

Old July 28th 05, 02:10 AM
Lee

"Fred Clydesdale" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lee" lee_AT_SHOES_wheelman_DOT_com wrote:

My favorite, tho, is stopping by and schmoozing with Art or one of the
mail
order guys. When I ask a tough question, they go into the back room,
huddle
for a while, and then come out with The Answer. And usually a part
number.

hey, YOU'RE the reason they're not answering the phone! get him, fellas!

LOL!

Lee

Old July 28th 05, 04:38 AM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:49:53 -0600, "Bruce Lange"
wrote:

For the record I want to say that I am very satisfied with the products and
services I have received from Harris Cyclery.

Whenever I have e-mailed Sheldon with a technical question his response has
always been quick and helpful.

I have only ordered from Harris Cyclery once, but I intend to do so again. I
very much value the information on their website, and Sheldon's contibutions
to numerous internet forums, all of which is done pro bono.

There's no excuse for poor customer service, but neither should one
compromise the fair treatment and retention of a quality staff. Retail is a
difficult business, and Sheldon's description of the pressures they face
sounds very credible to me. I am sure they will work on improving the
situation to serve you better. I for one will continue to support Harris
Cyclery.

Bruce in Denver

So will I!

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old July 28th 05, 01:43 PM
David Damerell

Quoting jbuch :
I would CC Harris on this, but I don't remember the email and am
"INVOLVED WITH OTHER THINGS" and won't look it up.

If you're not _actually_ involved with other things, I'd think you'd have
the time.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Second Oneiros, July.
Old July 28th 05, 01:45 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Bruce Lange :
For the record I want to say that I am very satisfied with the products and
services I have received from Harris Cyclery.

I've got to say, I always phone them, I never have any trouble, and I'm
paying transAtlantic rates. Of course, I take the warning about not having
time to answer the phone at the weekends at face value.
Old July 28th 05, 04:08 PM

and temper the individual problem with the overall effect, like nashbar
selling stuff so riders with limited incomes or allowances can repair
and ride
or with harris/brown the extensive voluminous unending supply of
information that yes! generates your problem.

Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale Jeff Starr General 27 July 28th 05 04:08 PM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Mountain Biking 3 October 27th 04 09:07 AM
A Cautionary Tale Spencer Bullen UK 11 February 7th 04 05:13 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM