what size is a typical axle nut?

Old September 3rd 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default what size is a typical axle nut?

Nate Nagel wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but
I couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted
axles. I think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably
the X-mart BMX I had as a kid. 13mm or other? I don't carry any
wrenches at all because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is
likely not going to get fixed at the side of the road. Was thinking
of throwing a cheap wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents
like this. I know it's silly but I just can't resist anything
mechanical and busted.

nate

Make it a crescent wrench & you're covered.

OK, I'm not really a weight weenie, but that seems a little excessive

I have a couple cheap metric wrenches that I got with lots of yard sale
tools that had other stuff I wanted in them, and they weren't awful
enough to throw out, just wondering which one to toss in the seat bag.

nate

Well if you're into damsels in distress, you've got to make sacrifices.
It's one thing to carry a wrench for your own bike, another to cover
anything you happen upon. Personally, I carry no tools, save a tire iron
& patch kit, spare tube or 2 and a frame pump. I could have probably
rescued your damsel.
Old September 3rd 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Sep 2, 11:58*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

That's my usual kit as well, plus a multi-tool, but since my bike has
no hex fasteners at all save for the nuts holding the rack to its
straps the multi-tool only has hex keys. I figure carrying cone
wrenches is pointless - if I need a cone wrench I probably need
bearings as well, and I'm not about to start carrying a jar of ball
bearings and a tube of grease "just in case"

I'd probably have stopped if it were a guy as well, but most guys on
bikes seem to go for more of the Trek Madone kind of thing so it
wouldn't have been an issue

nate

Old September 3rd 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

Nate Nagel wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

an oil can is a valid carry.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 02:39, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. *Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. *I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

A "peanut butter" wrench fits standard axle nuts:
http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/00000001/product_images/TL/TL90....

Is also good to remove tubs from rims (could also work as a tyre lever
with wired tyres with wide rims) and spread mastic or ther adhesive on
base tapes.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 01:47, Chalo wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *

Like landotter says, it's most likely 15mm. *The only bikes with
nutted axles of other sizes I see anymore are ancient specimens with
14mm front nuts, or 9/16" rear and 1/2" front, etc. *There have been
some not-ancient BMX bikes with 17mm nuts on 3/8" axles, but these are
uncommon.

Lots of relatively nice bikes are coming with M9x1 and M10x1 track
nuts these days, because they are ersatz "track" bikes or their single-
speed cousins.

Chalo

Also 0.6" which is a little over 15mm, a loose 15mm ring spanner will
do the job here. A flat ring spanner seems best to carry for axle
nuts.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 2, 4:31*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but I
couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted axles. *I
think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably the X-mart BMX
I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *I don't carry any wrenches at all
because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is likely not going
to get fixed at the side of the road. *Was thinking of throwing a cheap
wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents like this. *I know it's
silly but I just can't resist anything mechanical and busted.

I used to carry a 14/15 cone wrench - not for impressing the babes,
but for adjusting a brake caliper that liked to slip.
Old September 3rd 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 18:14, Still Just Me.
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:31:17 -0700 (PDT), someone

wrote:

an oil can is a valid carry.

What could you possibly need to oil on the fly?

A damsel.
Old September 3rd 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

someone wrote:

wrote:

an oil can is a valid carry.

What could you possibly need to oil on the fly?

A damsel.

or in your case trev, a wingnut.

Old September 4th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 4 Sep, 04:25, Still Just Me.
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:17:50 -0700 (PDT), someone

wrote:

wrote:

an oil can is a valid carry.

What could you possibly need to oil on the fly?

A damsel.

That would be a different type of lubricant.

Almond oil serves all in an emergency.

Solid rear axle or quick release axle soup UK 5 July 30th 09 10:16 AM
Axle slipping when tightening track hub axle nut mickster Techniques 10 February 21st 06 01:18 AM
Increasing Axle Size and Length Terry Techniques 3 February 11th 06 05:51 PM
BC Axle Size? e39m5 Unicycling 8 July 21st 05 03:28 AM
new Zipp Disc track axle/road axle interchageability Gemma_k Techniques 2 April 24th 05 12:52 PM