Bike maintenance videos

Old December 1st 06, 01:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gumby

Default Bike maintenance videos

http://www.youtube.com/group/bicyclemaintenance

Not sure I agree with the quick release video, the bike mech has left
the lever pointing straight down to the ground. Not the safest
position, I have always pointed the lever upwards parallel to the front
fork so the lever cannot inadvertently be released by road debris
(branches possibly?)

Also from a TT aero view - pointing the lever down adds to aero drag.

Old December 1st 06, 07:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeD

I always point the quick release pointing backwards.
I've done this after twice having a plastic bag caught on it while riding in
town when having it straight up.
I think facing it backwards would have the least risk of having anything
caught up while riding.

ups.com...

Old December 2nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

JoeD wrote:

I always point the quick release pointing backwards.
I've done this after twice having a plastic bag caught on it while riding in
town when having it straight up.
I think facing it backwards would have the least risk of having anything
caught up while riding.

"gumby" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.youtube.com/group/bicyclemaintenance

Not sure I agree with the quick release video, the bike mech has left
the lever pointing straight down to the ground. Not the safest
position, I have always pointed the lever upwards parallel to the front
fork so the lever cannot inadvertently be released by road debris
(branches possibly?)

Also from a TT aero view - pointing the lever down adds to aero drag.

Hmm. For me, front wheel, pointing up parallel to fork. Rear,
pointing forward parallel either to chain or seat stay.

I'm going to start looking at other bikes now!

DeF

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old December 2nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF wrote:

JoeD wrote:

I always point the quick release pointing backwards.
I've done this after twice having a plastic bag caught on it while riding in
town when having it straight up.
I think facing it backwards would have the least risk of having anything
caught up while riding.

"gumby" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.youtube.com/group/bicyclemaintenance

Not sure I agree with the quick release video, the bike mech has left
the lever pointing straight down to the ground. Not the safest
position, I have always pointed the lever upwards parallel to the front
fork so the lever cannot inadvertently be released by road debris
(branches possibly?)

Also from a TT aero view - pointing the lever down adds to aero drag.

Hmm. For me, front wheel, pointing up parallel to fork. Rear,
pointing forward parallel either to chain or seat stay.

always pointing backwards, to avoid hooking on something

I'm going to start looking at other bikes now!

it's surprising how often you will see an open one then

best wishes
james

bike maintenance Jane UK 17 June 29th 06 03:25 PM
mountain bike maintenance mags UK 3 April 14th 05 02:56 PM
Road bike maintenance chris Australia 1 August 11th 04 02:03 AM
Maintenance videos Sky Fly UK 3 February 27th 04 12:37 PM
First maintenance of a new bike [email protected] Techniques 2 August 18th 03 01:38 PM