A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 15th 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

Hello everybody,

I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:

- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?
- What are the differences?

Thank you in advance

Dimitris
Ads
  #2  
Old February 15th 11, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,943
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

dimitris_stamatelos wrote:

I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:

- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?


They are basically the same. They are not as strong as they should be
for their size, but they are still pretty strong. Neither is worth
nearly as much as its retail price would suggest, but if you can buy
them below about $30 they're not a bad deal.

I think the Alex Adventurer is a better rim (which can be bought
online for $25), but it only comes in black and only in 32 and 36 hole
drilling

- What are the differences?


There's some sort of sidewall wear indicator on the A719 that isn't
present on the T519.

Chalo
  #3  
Old February 15th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,312
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

On Feb 15, 11:30*am, Chalo wrote:
dimitris_stamatelos wrote:

I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:


- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?


They are basically the same. *They are not as strong as they should be
for their size, but they are still pretty strong. *Neither is worth
nearly as much as its retail price would suggest, but if you can buy
them below about $30 they're not a bad deal.

I think the Alex Adventurer is a better rim (which can be bought
online for $25), but it only comes in black and only in 32 and 36 hole
drilling


DM18 if you want silver. Only "drawback" is that it's not machined, so
the joint will be need a little sanding. Even cheaper. I've built and
tried to destroy both. I'd ride either on any adventure where I
absolutely needed reliability.

As Chalo mentions--the drilling can be the decision maker. For a 48H
rim, I'd go for a Sun Rhyno. Also dirt cheap.

Stick with the Mavics if they're $5 or so.
  #4  
Old February 15th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 836
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

On Feb 15, 12:30*pm, Chalo wrote:
dimitris_stamatelos wrote:

I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:


- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?


They are basically the same. *They are not as strong as they should be
for their size, but they are still pretty strong. *Neither is worth
nearly as much as its retail price would suggest, but if you can buy
them below about $30 they're not a bad deal.

I think the Alex Adventurer is a better rim (which can be bought
online for $25), but it only comes in black and only in 32 and 36 hole
drilling

- What are the differences?


There's some sort of sidewall wear indicator on the A719 that isn't
present on the T519.

Chalo


for an 18-20mm nominal width rim that is inexpensive another option to
consider would be a Sun CR-18; I have them on my bike because that's
what VO was using on their inexpensive prebuilt dynohub wheelsets a
while back. I did have to lightly touch up the joint on one to get it
to brake right but other than that I really can't tell the difference
in ride between them and the Velocity rims on my other bike.

For whatever reason my LBS has lots of CR18s on hooks but no Alex
rims, things may be different where you live.

nate
  #5  
Old February 15th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,312
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

On Feb 15, 1:18*pm, N8N wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:30*pm, Chalo wrote:









dimitris_stamatelos wrote:


I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:


- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?


They are basically the same. *They are not as strong as they should be
for their size, but they are still pretty strong. *Neither is worth
nearly as much as its retail price would suggest, but if you can buy
them below about $30 they're not a bad deal.


I think the Alex Adventurer is a better rim (which can be bought
online for $25), but it only comes in black and only in 32 and 36 hole
drilling


- What are the differences?


There's some sort of sidewall wear indicator on the A719 that isn't
present on the T519.


Chalo


for an 18-20mm nominal width rim that is inexpensive another option to
consider would be a Sun CR-18; I have them on my bike because that's
what VO was using on their inexpensive prebuilt dynohub wheelsets a
while back. *I did have to lightly touch up the joint on one to get it
to brake right but other than that I really can't tell the difference
in ride between them and the Velocity rims on my other bike.

For whatever reason my LBS has lots of CR18s on hooks but no Alex
rims, things may be different where you live.


CR18 is about a 500g rim, whereas the Mavic and Alex rims are over
600g. Strength is relatively proportional to meat. The Alex are closer
to a piggy 650g on my scale, which is a good thing if you're looking
for bombproofness. I believe a Rhynolite is close to that as well in
622mm.

  #6  
Old February 16th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,049
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

On Feb 15, 7:49*pm, landotter wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:18*pm, N8N wrote:



On Feb 15, 12:30*pm, Chalo wrote:


dimitris_stamatelos wrote:


I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:


- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?


They are basically the same. *They are not as strong as they should be
for their size, but they are still pretty strong. *Neither is worth
nearly as much as its retail price would suggest, but if you can buy
them below about $30 they're not a bad deal.


I think the Alex Adventurer is a better rim (which can be bought
online for $25), but it only comes in black and only in 32 and 36 hole
drilling


- What are the differences?


There's some sort of sidewall wear indicator on the A719 that isn't
present on the T519.


Chalo


for an 18-20mm nominal width rim that is inexpensive another option to
consider would be a Sun CR-18; I have them on my bike because that's
what VO was using on their inexpensive prebuilt dynohub wheelsets a
while back. *I did have to lightly touch up the joint on one to get it
to brake right but other than that I really can't tell the difference
in ride between them and the Velocity rims on my other bike.


For whatever reason my LBS has lots of CR18s on hooks but no Alex
rims, things may be different where you live.


CR18 is about a 500g rim, whereas the Mavic and Alex rims are over
600g. Strength is relatively proportional to meat. The Alex are closer
to a piggy 650g on my scale, which is a good thing if you're looking
for bombproofness.


perfectly satisfactory bombproofness should be available with a 500g
rim. Any heavier and you will probably be paying for the excess
metal rather than the design. Some people though like an excess,
especially on braking sidewalls, good idea if you are doing a round
the world trip.

I believe a Rhynolite is close to that as well in
622mm.


  #7  
Old February 16th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,339
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

On 2/15/2011 7:35 PM, thirty-six aka Trevor Jeffrey wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:49 pm, wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:18 pm, wrote:



On Feb 15, 12:30 pm, wrote:


dimitris_stamatelos wrote:


I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:


- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?


They are basically the same. They are not as strong as they should be
for their size, but they are still pretty strong. Neither is worth
nearly as much as its retail price would suggest, but if you can buy
them below about $30 they're not a bad deal.


I think the Alex Adventurer is a better rim (which can be bought
online for $25), but it only comes in black and only in 32 and 36 hole
drilling


- What are the differences?


There's some sort of sidewall wear indicator on the A719 that isn't
present on the T519.


Chalo


for an 18-20mm nominal width rim that is inexpensive another option to
consider would be a Sun CR-18; I have them on my bike because that's
what VO was using on their inexpensive prebuilt dynohub wheelsets a
while back. I did have to lightly touch up the joint on one to get it
to brake right but other than that I really can't tell the difference
in ride between them and the Velocity rims on my other bike.


For whatever reason my LBS has lots of CR18s on hooks but no Alex
rims, things may be different where you live.


CR18 is about a 500g rim, whereas the Mavic and Alex rims are over
600g. Strength is relatively proportional to meat. The Alex are closer
to a piggy 650g on my scale, which is a good thing if you're looking
for bombproofness.


perfectly satisfactory bombproofness should be available with a 500g
rim. Any heavier and you will probably be paying for the excess
metal rather than the design. Some people though like an excess,
especially on braking sidewalls, good idea if you are doing a round
the world trip.

I believe a Rhynolite is close to that as well in
622mm.



What you want are some Real Man™ rims:
http://velonews.competitor.com/files/archive/images/9673.14252.jpg,
not some girly aluminium alloy rims.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
  #8  
Old April 28th 15, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 11:39:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have been given a chance of buying a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims for
my touring bicycle at a very low price. I understand that these rims
have long been replaced by the T520 and currently the A719. The Mavic
site does not include info on older products so my questions:

- Is the A719 worth the extra cost or the T519 is more or less the
same rim?
- What are the differences?

Thank you in advance

Dimitris


I have one if you want it.
  #9  
Old March 30th 18, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Mavic T519 vs Mavic A719

Do you still have the mavic t519 wheels?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mavic T519/520 Ceramic Rims Rod General 0 August 29th 07 09:03 PM
Mavic T519/520 Ceramic Rims Rod General 0 August 29th 07 09:02 PM
Mavic T519/520 Ceramic Rims Rod Marketplace 0 August 29th 07 09:02 PM
Mavic T519 Ceramic Rims Rod Techniques 0 August 25th 07 01:05 AM
FS: Pair of new Mavic T519 48 hole rims res09c5t Marketplace 0 October 5th 05 03:02 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Š2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.