broken rear spoke

Old November 20th 03, 03:59 AM
rlmarr

Default broken rear spoke

Originally posted by Michael Macclan In message
, Tom McCabe
writes
I've been cycling to work for the past 10 months on a Ridgeback
Genesis Day
01. Total mileage covered in this time is 4500mls. Yesterday a rear
spoke broke , is it safe to continue riding minus one spoke and if
I do so will it cause any damage to the wheel? Should spokes break
after this sort of mileage ? I intend to replace the spoke tomorrow
but I have to make the 25ml round trip to work today, hope it's not
going to cause any damage.

Many thanks

Tom McCabe

Recently I have had an experience in the wonderful school of hard
knocks. About a month ago I broke two spokes and now I am 4 broken
spokes on a 36 count wheel. I would agree it should be resolved quickly
and promptly to insure that it is still rideable. As that bike stands
now the wheel off and it is time to get the replacement spokes. I am
curious though is it better to just get replacement spokes or would it
be a better investment to buy a whole new wheel? Initially the rear
wheel I am speaking of was a 50 machine build setup. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Ray

Old November 20th 03, 08:25 AM
MSeries

I got 16 spokes replaced in one of my wheels[1], the cost was estimated at
about £20 but because the wheel builder could not get the rim as true as
he'd like & because he built the wheels originally he charged only £15. With
Shimano105 hubs and MA3 rim a new wheel would have cost more (a new hub
would be wider also requiring my frame to be cold set too).

It depends on the quality of the rim and hub as to whether a new would be a
better investment than a repair. If you fancy some new wheels to transform
the bike then you now have a great excuse.

[1]Two spokes broke and were replaced in France, before this all spokes had
been damaged with the chain running off the block so once spokes had started
failing I elected to get the whole side replaced.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

Old November 20th 03, 09:02 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"rlmarr" wrote in message

Initially the rear
wheel I am speaking of was a 50 machine build setup.

I usually have my machine-built wheels retensioned by hand. My bike
mechanic charges very little for this.

--
Guy
===