Watched Breaking Away for the first time in 25+ years

Old April 18th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

Default Watched Breaking Away for the first time in 25+ years

On Apr 18, 10:02*am, ilan wrote:
On Apr 18, 4:32*am, RicodJour wrote:

On Apr 17, 10:14*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

Still a clever little movie.

Does anyone know how fast they average in the little 500 ?

The race itself or the time trials ?

*I'm pretty good with google but just didn't find anything.

No - no you're not. *I needed two links to put it together, but...

I imagine they'd be lucky to be over 25mph .

you're right on the money.

Track length and race distance:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_500

And records:http://www.iusf.indiana.edu/little50...k-records.html

It turns out the race is skewed so that no good riders can
participate:

"Any rider who has held, presently holds, or will hold a United States
Cycling
Federation Category I or II license prior to race day shall be deemed
ineligible for the Little 500
®", from the rules page 21:http://www.iusf.indiana.edu/little50...0Little%20500%...

If I recall correctly, this rule was instituted by jealous mediocre
riders to prevent actual talented riders from stealing the spotlight.
In particular, this implies that the Breaking Away scenario has not
been possible for at least 20 years.

-ilan

Preserving mediocrity is not just limited to cycling:
http://www.cogs.indiana.edu/people/h...ofstadter.html

-ilan
Old April 18th 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Apr 18, 4:14*pm, ilan wrote:
On Apr 18, 10:02*am, ilan wrote:

[...]

That's not what it says in that bio:
"Although Douglas Hofstadter is nominally associated with a few
departments at Indiana University, he is actually left pretty much
alone to pursue his multifarious interests, which he does with
alacrity, celerity, vim, vigor, and vitality. "

Multifarious vim and vigor can't be bad.

I wonder what that word nominally means.
"You take him."
"No, he's yours."
"As if. Let's toss him over to the athletic department and see what
he does with that frat bike race they're organizing."
"You're evil. I'm writing the memo now."

Old April 19th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Fred

ilan wrote in
:

It turns out the race is skewed so that no good riders can
participate:

Are you familiar with the term "sandbagging a tournament?" Although they
try to remove the ringers, the field might be filled with riders who have
carefully selected races and results so that they do not become
ineligible for the Little 500. It would be interesting to see the number
of riders who went on to become Cat 1/2 a few months after their last
Little 500.

--
Bill "anything for a win" Fred
Old April 19th 11, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

RicodJour wrote:
That's not what it says in that bio:
"Although Douglas Hofstadter is nominally associated with a few
departments at Indiana University, he is actually left pretty much
alone to pursue his multifarious interests, which he does with
alacrity, celerity, vim, vigor, and vitality. "

Multifarious vim and vigor can't be bad.

That's code for panache and super-motivated.
Old April 20th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Simply Fred" wrote in message
ilan wrote:
It turns out the race is skewed so that no good riders can
participate:

"Any rider who has held, presently holds, or will hold a United States
Cycling
Federation Category I or II license prior to race day shall be deemed
ineligible for the Little 500
®", from the rules page 21:
http://www.iusf.indiana.edu/little50...m%20Manual.pdf

If I recall correctly, this rule was instituted by jealous mediocre

Next thing fatty masters races will have a low weight limit on
participants.

They.... don't?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles