Finally bought the bikes... now what?

Old April 22nd 04, 08:16 PM
B Parker

Default Finally bought the bikes... now what?

Well, besides ride them, that is!

My wife and I have been looking at buying bikes as a way to get some minor
exercise and for something to get us out of the house and do together.
We've been married almost 4 years, but we used to spend a lot of time riding
bikes together about 20 years ago when we were "only" best friends - and
really enjoyed that time.

So, we bit the proverbial bullet and went looking for bikes a few months
ago. I lurked here for a while and then asked a few questions, which I got
some very nice answers to. Thank you.

We ended up with:
Me: 2004 Giant Cypress LX
Her: 2004 Giant Sedona DX

Most of our riding with be neighborhood riding and small rides like trips to
the library. Once in a while, we'll do a few miles here and there or do
some minor trails in our housing edition. On rare occasion, I may ride with
some other people on the street, but nothing big.

My #1 concern is maintenance and care. I'm interested in the little things
you won't read in an owners manual, but typically learn from experience.
IE.

1) What products to use to keep it clean, lubricated, etc
2) How often will it need lubrication, adjustments, etc
3) What should we be carrying with us on our little rides ( currently have
Cell phones for serious things, pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, water
bottles, antiseptic, band-aids, gauze )
4) Anything else that would be obvious to the vets here that I would never
think of...

We won't be serious riders, or at least I don't think we will. I'm a
fair-weather person who won't even take the motorcycle out if it's under
75F, typically, and who "doesn't do rain."

Also, I know some of you are from the Tulsa, OK area so do you have any
recommendations on a nice place to ride near Broken Arrow ( we're near 101st
and Asp )? We used to live on Riverside which would have been nice for
casuals such as ourselves, but that's just a little too far, now. We don't
have any bike racks for our vehicles, so wherever we ride will have to be
withing... well, riding distance =).

Thank you for your possible input, I'll be eagerly awaiting anything you can
offer!

--
The Parkers
Broken Arrow, OK

Old April 22nd 04, 08:38 PM
David Kerber

In article 6SUhc.5841$pg.809@okepread05, says...

My wife and I have been looking at buying bikes as a way to get some minor
exercise and for something to get us out of the house and do together.
We've been married almost 4 years, but we used to spend a lot of time riding
bikes together about 20 years ago when we were "only" best friends - and
really enjoyed that time.

Congratulations on getting back into it!

So, we bit the proverbial bullet and went looking for bikes a few months
ago. I lurked here for a while and then asked a few questions, which I got
some very nice answers to. Thank you.

We ended up with:
Me: 2004 Giant Cypress LX
Her: 2004 Giant Sedona DX

Most of our riding with be neighborhood riding and small rides like trips to
the library. Once in a while, we'll do a few miles here and there or do
some minor trails in our housing edition. On rare occasion, I may ride with
some other people on the street, but nothing big.

My #1 concern is maintenance and care. I'm interested in the little things
you won't read in an owners manual, but typically learn from experience.
IE.

1) What products to use to keep it clean, lubricated, etc

A damp rag works will for cleaning, though some use car wax as well, I
use either 30W motor oil or "Phil's Tenacious Oil" on the chain. You
don't sound like someone who would be taking it apart to re-grease the
bearings yet, but if you do, automotive bearing grease works well.

2) How often will it need lubrication, adjustments, etc

Depends entirely on how often, how hard and how far you ride. Every few
hundred miles is a reasonable first estimate.

3) What should we be carrying with us on our little rides ( currently have
Cell phones for serious things, pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, water
bottles, antiseptic, band-aids, gauze )

Personally, I add a small all-in-1 tool kit, and leave out the first aid
stuff (take care of it when I get home), largely because I like tweaking
things. Others will have different opinions, I'm sure.

4) Anything else that would be obvious to the vets here that I would never
think of...

We won't be serious riders, or at least I don't think we will. I'm a
fair-weather person who won't even take the motorcycle out if it's under
75F, typically, and who "doesn't do rain."

newsgroups if possible).
Old April 22nd 04, 08:40 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Well, besides ride them, that is!

It's a good place to start ;-)

My #1 concern is maintenance and care. I'm interested in the little things
you won't read in an owners manual, but typically learn from experience.
IE.

The fount of all knowledge on matters cycling big and small is the oracle,
Sheldon Brown. See www.sheldonbrown.com
There's anything and everything you need to know and more on there.

Cheers, and happy cycling, helen s

**$om $

Old April 22nd 04, 09:22 PM
Peter Cole

"B Parker" wrote

My #1 concern is maintenance and care. I'm interested in the little things
you won't read in an owners manual, but typically learn from experience.
IE.

1) What products to use to keep it clean, lubricated, etc
2) How often will it need lubrication, adjustments, etc
3) What should we be carrying with us on our little rides ( currently have
Cell phones for serious things, pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, water
bottles, antiseptic, band-aids, gauze )
4) Anything else that would be obvious to the vets here that I would never
think of...

It might be a good idea to review road riding tips, a good source is:

http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/

Chains should be lubed when they start getting noisy, which is usually after a
few hundred miles of dry riding. You can use chain lube from the bike shop or
just motor oil -- wipe excess. Shift cables will usually require some
adjustment after the first few rides as they settle in. The Park Tools site
and Sheldon Brown's site offer adjustment info.

You might practice removing wheels/tires at home before you get your first
road flat. Carry a spare tube, it's easier than patching on the road. Carry at
least a small set of Allen wrenches in case something loosens, especially on
first shake down rides.

Old April 22nd 04, 09:41 PM
Stephen Harding

B Parker wrote:

1) What products to use to keep it clean, lubricated, etc

I use White Lightning on the chain when it starts to get noisy.
The entire bike gets an occasional rinse with water and citrus
cleaner.

My tour and MTBs get rougher service, and I've found just an
occasional coating with WD-40 seems to make it easier to clean
when the next rinse comes along, and seems to be a decent protectant
of the metal components.

I haven't waxed or polished a bike in decades!

2) How often will it need lubrication, adjustments, etc

Adjust the shifters when they don't quite shift right. Usually
this is simply tightening up on the cable, especially with a
new bike, that may have cables stretching after a while.

Tighten up the brake cables when the brakes don't seem to grab.
I've really never experienced *good* braking on a bike for any
length of time, and I'm loathe to readjust pads every month. I
think you can get along with simple cable adjustments for quite
a while, especially as a casual rider.

Lubricate something when it gets noisy.

3) What should we be carrying with us on our little rides ( currently have
Cell phones for serious things, pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, water
bottles, antiseptic, band-aids, gauze )

Seems more than sufficient for a casual rider.

4) Anything else that would be obvious to the vets here that I would never
think of...

I'd really recommend a light up front and back. A flashing red
LED astern will go years on a set a AA's. Get a real white light
for the front. There are some very nice, inexpensive lights now
out on the market that produce a very strong beam of light, are
light weight, run on AA batteries, and are easily removable from
the bike for hand flashlight duty, or for theft prevention.

I know you plan on casual riding, but you never know when that
trip to the library gets drawn out into dark hours. It really
can't hurt to have a set of lights.

You may want to consider a computer as well. You can find
inexpensive ones with more information than you'll ever really
be interested in for about 20-25 bucks. At first, speed seems
most interesting to new riders, but over time, I think distance
gains importance.

Happy pedaling!

SMH

Old April 22nd 04, 09:41 PM
Dan Daniel

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:16:32 -0500, "B Parker"
wrote:

[...]

If you want to get into wiping off dirt, etc., I've found Pledge is
good. Spray it on a rag and wipe down places. Keep it off the brake
pads and rims!

Lubricating chains is a tough one. People have very different ideas.
And the funny thing is, all these different ideas and they all work in
their own way

I used to use Tri-Flo for years. Have been trying Rock'N'Roll for the
last year and I like it.

The best thing for the chain and gears, no matter what lube, is to
wipe them down every now and then.

2) How often will it need lubrication, adjustments, etc

Lubrication depends on the lube. Realistically, I have seen bikes that
appear to have never been lubed for years and people ride them and are
fine.

Adjustment- when things start not working.

3) What should we be carrying with us on our little rides ( currently have
Cell phones for serious things, pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, water
bottles, antiseptic, band-aids, gauze )

I include a 5mm allen wrench and a small reversible screwdriver. On my
bikes, I can do most basic adjustments with these.

4) Anything else that would be obvious to the vets here that I would never
think of...

Let's see... oh yeah, tire inflation is probably the biggest influence
on the quality of the feel of the bike on the road. Take the time to
try different pressures, find the one(s) that feel best, and take the
time to check the tires once a week or so.

We won't be serious riders, or at least I don't think we will. I'm a
fair-weather person who won't even take the motorcycle out if it's under
75F, typically, and who "doesn't do rain."

Seriously enjoy your new bikes however you find it best to use them.
Old April 23rd 04, 12:24 AM
Pat

I'd really recommend a light up front and back. A flashing red
LED astern will go years on a set a AA's. Get a real white light
for the front. There are some very nice, inexpensive lights now
out on the market that produce a very strong beam of light, are
light weight, run on AA batteries, and are easily removable from
the bike for hand flashlight duty, or for theft prevention.

I second the suggestion for a flashing red light, BUT I would not recommend
the AA battery kind. Last year, I got "caught" in a foggy area and turned on
my red blinker only to have the AA batteries jiggle themselves out of
contact over and over again. The result was that I didn't have a light at
all. I replaced it with the kind of light that has a coin-shaped battery.
That shape of battery doesn't lose contact as easily as the AA ones.

You may want to consider a computer as well. You can find
inexpensive ones with more information than you'll ever really
be interested in for about 20-25 bucks. At first, speed seems
most interesting to new riders, but over time, I think distance
gains importance.

Happy pedaling!
SMH

I agree on the computer. It is also handy if you want to go "out" one way
for a certain number of miles and then turn around and come back in. In
addition, they keep time and it is easier to look at the computer than to
turn your wrist and push back your sleeve to see what time it is. I would
just say don't get one of the super duper computers. They can quickly get
too much information on them! A pretty basic one is a much better value.

Pat in TX

Old April 23rd 04, 01:59 AM
Claire Petersky

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

I disagree. I've never had a light jiggle out as described. At the same
time, AA and AAA batteries are readily available, such that if they burn
out, you can stop just about anywhere and get replacements -- even a
convenience store.

I had watch battery bar end blinkies, and when the batteries finally died,
it was so hard to get the old batteries in and the new ones out, that the
blinkies were ruined. The batteries also cost about half the original price
of the blinkies. Fortunately, REI refunded me the money the blinkies
originally cost -- after I messed up the first blinkie, I had the shop
people try to do the second one, and they had the same trouble. Still, I was
$10 in the hole for the new replacement batteries. Interestingly, REI no
longer carries this product.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old April 23rd 04, 05:16 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Claire Petersky wrote:
I second the suggestion for a flashing red light, BUT I would not
recommend the AA battery kind. Last year, I got "caught" in a foggy
area and turned on my red blinker only to have the AA batteries
jiggle themselves out of contact over and over again. The result was
that I didn't have a light at all. I replaced it with the kind of
light that has a coin-shaped battery. That shape of battery doesn't
lose contact as easily as the AA ones.

I disagree. I've never had a light jiggle out as described. At the same
time, AA and AAA batteries are readily available, such that if they burn
out, you can stop just about anywhere and get replacements -- even a
convenience store.

I also have had good experiences with AA lights. I have a red blinkie from
Mountain Equipment Coop and this thing is bombproof. You can tell when you
put the batteries in that they're not going anywhere. Waterproof and
unbreakable (except for the mounting hardware).

Once I had the light clipped to my bag and when I reached around to pull
something out of a pocket I knocked it onto the road at high speeds. The
cover popped off the light, but the body bounced and skidded away intact,
and in fact still blinking. While I was picking up the body, a car ran
over the cover, which was launched into the air with a VERY INTERESTING
noise. When I picked up the cover, it was totally fine, not even scuffed.

My only complaint with these lights is that I'm always losing them.
Sometimes I forget to pull them off my bike when it's locked up outside
and they're always stolen inside of 5 minutes. Once I bolted one on and
someone ripped it in half trying to steal it. Sometimes they get snapped
off the mounting brackets and lost when I take my bike offroad or load it
into cars and things like that. I'm constantly buying new ones, but at
least at MEC they're only $5.

Old April 23rd 04, 05:28 AM
frkrygow

B Parker wrote:

Thank you for your possible input, I'll be eagerly awaiting anything you can
offer!

One big recommendation: If you can find a League Certified Instructor
near you, consider taking a short course in cycling. The courses run
about 9 to 12 hours total, and you'll learn more in a shorter time than
by any other method. Visit http://www.bikeleague.org/instructors/index.cfm
for a list of instructors in your state.

And you may enjoy this website:

http://www.bicyclinglife.com

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]