Not a good day for the Rainbow Jersey

Old April 18th 11, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Barry Taylor

Default Not a good day for the Rainbow Jersey

"--D-y" wrote in message

"MORTS" didn't come up with a seemingly applicable meaning in a quick
google search, so, since I really don't want to read your mind in the
first place, and don't want to waste time (far more valuable than
recyclable pixels), would you like to give the meaning for what you've
spelled out?

---

MORTS - you just don't get it ...

-- ---

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

If you think you're too small to have
an impact, try going to bed with a
mosquito in the room. Johan Bruyneel.

Old April 18th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Apr 17, 9:41*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 17, 8:14*pm, --D-y wrote:

On Apr 17, 11:31*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:39*am, --D-y wrote:

My opinion remains the same IRT "Bad Day for the Rainbow Jersey".

There's a surprise.

You're big on the acronyms, so in future, when people are pointing out
that your particular viewpoint is your particular viewpoint, please
respond with MORTS. *It will save a lot of wasted pixels. *Thanks..

I don't remember a word of "pointing out anything about my particular
viewpoint being my particular viewpoint" until your post.
Um, I started the thread, and I didn't say "I heard so-and-so say it
was a bad day for the Rainbow Jersey and I agree with him", so I guess
you could say this viewpoint is something where I reacted to the race
I saw on American TV and some Euro feed. Again, where no one said (as
far as I heard, BDFTRJ.

"MORTS" didn't come up with a seemingly applicable meaning in a quick
google search, so, since I really don't want to read your mind in the
first place, and don't want to waste time (far more valuable than
recyclable pixels), would you like to give the meaning for what you've
spelled out?

Like I said, you don't have to agree. Makes no difference to me, and
don't have a cow, OK?

"My opinion remains the same" *MORTS

Thank you.
Hey: "As long as you don't say it like it's a bad thing..."
--D-y
Old April 18th 11, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Apr 17, 11:33*pm, "Barry Taylor" wrote:
"--D-y" *wrote in message

"MORTS" didn't come up with a seemingly applicable meaning in a quick
google search, so, since I really don't want to read your mind in the
first place, and don't want to waste time (far more valuable than
recyclable pixels), would you like to give the meaning for what you've
spelled out?

---

MORTS - you just don't get it ...

Sigh. Now you had to go and say it like it's a bad thing.

OK.

"I am cast amongst the Philistines".

Well, here we are, 25 miles or so out into the country. I have three
or four spares, a good pump, tire levers, combo tool in the spares
bag, a full tall bottle of water in the second cage, a cell phone,
map, and a couple of gels in the back pockets. And a fairly deep bank
card, in case I have to call a cab out into the wilderness...
--D-y
Old April 18th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

"--D-y" *wrote in message

"MORTS" didn't come up with a seemingly applicable meaning in a quick
google search, so, since I really don't want to read your mind in the
first place, and don't want to waste time (far more valuable than
recyclable pixels), would you like to give the meaning for what you've
spelled out?

---

MORTS - you just don't get it ...

Sigh. Now you had to go and say it like it's a bad thing.

OK.

"I am cast amongst the Philistines".

Well, here we are, 25 miles or so out into the country. I have three
or four spares, a good pump, tire levers, combo tool in the spares
bag, a full tall bottle of water in the second cage, a cell phone,
map, and a couple of gels in the back pockets. And a fairly deep bank
card, in case I have to call a cab out into the wilderness...

Three or four spares? What wilderness and what country?

Old April 18th 11, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

--D-y wrote:
Well, here we are, 25 miles or so out into the country. I have three
or four spares, a good pump, tire levers, combo tool in the spares
bag, a full tall bottle of water in the second cage, a cell phone,
map, and a couple of gels in the back pockets. And a fairly deep bank
card, in case I have to call a cab out into the wilderness...

You should also have a chain tool, spare master links and a backup fork
in case your fork explodes.

Old April 18th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

"--D-y" *wrote in message

[...]

Austin, TX, USA. The wilderness might be partly metaphorical, but
there have been times I've "loaned" a tube, especially the one with
the long valve stem, out to one of those "travel light for training"
guys, because it's easier than fishing around in the side pocket for
one of the two valve extenders I carry (for the use of others,
usually).
--D-y
Old April 18th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Apr 18, 8:54*am, Simply Fred wrote:
--D-y wrote:
Well, here we are, 25 miles or so out into the country. I have three
or four spares, a good pump, tire levers, combo tool in the spares
bag, a full tall bottle of water in the second cage, a cell phone,
map, and a couple of gels in the back pockets. And a fairly deep bank
card, in case I have to call a cab out into the wilderness...

You should also have a chain tool, spare master links and a backup fork
in case your fork explodes.

My multitool does in fact have a chain tool, and was chosen with that
feature in mind. I do have two master links, but no backup fork or
cookstove with three days' rations, or tent, down parka, etc. Nope,
that's what the cell phone, map, credit card and money are for.

Do it like you want; you didn't hear anything from me except maybe a
mild chiding along the lines of "You should carry a couple of spares,
just in case it pours a little while it's raining here". (g) And I
might say it's a good idea to carry a working, full-sized frame pump
in addition to the gonfleur.

The people I've loaned spares to over the years are always abashed to
at least some extent. One very bright loanee came right out and said
"You carry that (long stem spare tube) for people like me*, don't
you?" Yes, and it's NBD, I do this stuff for myself in the first
place.

So are you saying you've never had an on-the-road mechanical that
needed a little wrenching to set right?
--D-y
*teeny-tiny spare bag folks, barely room for one innertube, or maybe
one tube and a single-cartridge CO2 rig
Old April 18th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
--D-y wrote:

On Apr 18, 8:54Â*am, Simply Fred wrote:
--D-y wrote:
[...]

Full size frame pump was once de de rigueur, but not now.

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-LZRDPL.html

90 psi easily, more with work.
225 mm, 110 gram. O-rings everywhere.
Ever get the feeling you are wasting
effort with a pump? Not with this one.
Sealed against road dust intrusion.

They do not advertise it, but reverse the hose
and you can inflate schrader valve tubes.

Only drawback is you would hate to lose it
in somebody's wheel.

--
Old Fritz
Old April 19th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Apr 18, 3:03*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,

--D-y wrote:
[...]

Well, we've wandered into rec.bike.tech territory but I guess it's
Spring Training time...

I have a Park mini pump I bought for my fixed bike, intending to carry
it in my spares bag (the usual Jandd "sewup bag"), as the track bike I
use for fixed (with a road fork stuck in it for proper fork blade
config, and a brake bolt mounting hole) doesn't have a pump peg.

The Park pump is not mil spec but seems reasonably stout, and has a
pretty good lever-actuated chuck. It's about 265mm, I don't know the
weight. It has a clever swing-out "L" handle. I've only sample-tested
this one but it took a lot of strokes to fill a 23mm tire's inner
tube. But, it's secure in the bag, with an extra toe strap to back up
the Jandd's straps and clasp, and that's important when you can't stop
pedaling right away.

We're looking at quite a price difference here. I'm intending to start
a fixed "training" (ho ho) interlude and if the Park fails or fails to
make me happy (and I ride fixed only on certain loops these days, so
flats are very rare), I'll certainly take a look at the Lezyne.

I haven't had a problem with Presta stems v. rigid pumps for a good
long time but recognize that a hose isn't a bad thing to have on a
mini pump g.

That said, my frame pumps on road bikes live under the top tube. I use
the Zefal "X" spring system unless I forget, and, although I don't
think the newer ones pump as well or have equal function goodness in
the chuck as the old HP's of the 80's, I've never had a problem with a
under-top-tube mounted frame pump coming out, as long as it had a
velcro retaining strap on it,and I prefer the long stroke action over
the short stroke. Like all of this stuff, suit yourself, "YMMV";
again, I appreciate the heads-up on the Lezyne.
--D-y

Rainbow Argyle DirtRoadie Racing 8 October 5th 10 08:49 AM
Boonen not allowed to wear rainbow jersey trg Racing 5 April 4th 06 10:45 PM
Would this be a good alternative to a jersey Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 16 June 17th 05 03:49 PM
Rainbow Rage GizmoDuck Unicycling 11 March 22nd 05 07:45 PM
Good Weekend in Jersey Maggie General 28 February 11th 05 06:56 PM