SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 13th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good
lights throughout the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of
course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash
mode.

Speaking of visible enough: My wife and I just returned from
a little ride. We rode out to the suburban branch of our
credit union to cash a check, then a bit beyond it into sort
of semi-rural roads. We returned by different roads. We were
on some quiet residential streets, some former farm roads
that are now short cuts to housing developments, a bit on an
arterial road or two with 50 mph traffic, etc. Quite a few
miles were on lanes that were obviously too narrow to share
(like 9 feet wide) so we rode at lane center.

As usual, we had no problems with any drivers. (Well, except
a couple who were clogging things up while they seemed to be
looking for entrances to some obscure businesses). And there
was absolutely no indication that anyone had any trouble
seeing us.

Apparently, we were visible enough. Our bikes both had dynamo
powered lights, but neither of us had them on.

Some people are not so lucky in the lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD5P_LHEHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqysSwOcIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbiRxoWR4

You can find videos of almost anything on the web.

It's called facts. Two university mates of mine were rear-ended in
the lane. One lost a kidney, the other had a ruptured spleen. At
least in one case the driver stuck around, something that doesn't
appear popular anymore these days.

Permission to stick head back into sand granted.

BTW, do you really ride a bike? On the road? Are you telling us that
you never take the lane?

If I don't take the lane in some places, its dangerous.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...c1ab8d08_b.jpg
Most of my commute this morning was riding in the middle of the road,
which was basically the only place where one could ride. If I got
far right, cars would have been squeezing by with about two inches of
clearance, if any. Yes, I know you would take a gnarly trail or not
ride at all for fifteen years or move to some cardboard town in the
middle of Nevada nuclear test site to get away from it all. For the
rest of us folks who live in population centers, however, taking the
lane is not only reasonable under certain circumstances, it is the
only safe thing to do. Permission to stick head back in sand
granted.

Of course I take the lane where needed and where allowed under
California's AFRAP laws. Like yesterday in Sacramento when a Fedex truck
block part of the road. Sure enough, a prick in a red Scion honked and
"squeezed through" at speed. Caught him at the next light but he didn't
want to listen to me or even look at me. "Mini road rage" is how many
accidents are caused. All it takes is some low-life behind a wheel.

Needless to say, the most enjoyable part of that trip was, of course,
the 25mi section on a long bike path.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 13th 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-11 23:19, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 08:01:24 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

So you manages to find ONE incident each in Britain, Australia and
Tennessee U.S.A. Oh the GREAT DANGER!

Geeze Joerg, if bicycling is so darn dangerous why do you do it? Or
is that why you consume so much beer = to get courage enough to ride
those deadly roads and trails?

Two mates got rear-ended in similar fashion. They just happened not to
have rear-facing helmet cams.

That's the reality.

Gee, one of my classmates died of pneumonia. Does that mean I am in
danger of pneumonia? Another dies of appendicitis, should I have my
appendix out?

I could go on, but I'm sure that you get the idea.

I would not have brought it up if this wasn't a common type of accident.
Other folks were also hit back then but got lucky and there was only
damage on the bike and the car.

After moving to this area a rear-end fatality happened. Rider "took the
lane" on a four-lane road. Woman in a pickup thought the left lane
traffic was too slow, stepped on it, pulled to the right and saw the
cyclist too late. Due to her being in the lane not enough space ...
dead. So I didn't ride for more than a decade until that section got a
bike lane and the rest of the road to here (about 8mi from there) got
wide enough shoulders. This is how most local riders saw it as well.

Old October 13th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

You didn't ride that section of road for more than a decade or you didn't ride at all? What about your gnarly trails? Were they too scary too?

Dopes in cars will get you anywhere. They'll get you as you sleep at home. You really should stay out of your front room. It's dangerous. https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...lideshow_l.jpg This is why I stay away from Vietnamese restaurants: https://pamplinmedia.com/images/arti...3562320879.jpg

I also avoid MUPs -- even those that are entirely separated from traffic by barrier walls. https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...4/205car1..jpg And I certainly avoid any road where cars may be present -- lurking, waiting to KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAaAaaaaaah! http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/...-by-meowza.jpg

The most dangerous part of my ride today was almost getting hit by some witless cyclist on a MUP.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 14th 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I tried a few rides in the beginning. Too many close calls so we more or
less mothballed the bikes. Until trails and some back roads such as a
section of the old Lincoln Highway opened up to the public. The back
roads technically still aren't but cyclists are tolerated on them.

What about your gnarly trails? Were they too
scary too?

The area wasn't open to the public. Now it is. Even BLM had a softening
of their hearts and replaced the no trespass signs by ones that just ban
motorized vehicles, and to stay on the trails.

Strangely, the openings were not announced and I found some trails only
by studying satellite views, then rode there, and wow! To this day most
local cyclists including ones that have and use MTB do not now about the
El Dorado Trail, for example, until I show them.

Dopes in cars will get you anywhere.

They do not get me on the American River Bike Path or on the singletrack.

... They'll get you as you sleep at
home. You really should stay out of your front room. It's dangerous.
https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...lideshow_l.jpg

At our place that would require at least a rocket engine inside the car.
The car would first need to scale an almost vertical 10ft wall of rocks.
Airplanes, different story. A few hundred yards south of here a
helicopter smashed into a house and destroyed part of it. The pilot died
but neighbors had to drag an old man out because of the fire.

This is why I stay away from Vietnamese restaurants:
https://pamplinmedia.com/images/arti...3562320879.jpg

And don't go swimming.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/parking-l...-swimming-pool

https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...04/205car1.jpg And I
certainly avoid any road where cars may be present -- lurking,
waiting to KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAaAaaaaaah!
http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/...-by-meowza.jpg

The most dangerous part of my ride today was almost getting hit by
some witless cyclist on a MUP.

That's very rare in our area an one usually does not die or become
crippled for life from it.

Old October 14th 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2018-10-13 13:40, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped

Dopes in cars will get you anywhere.

They do not get me on the American River Bike Path or on the singletrack.

Snipped
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Ah, but Joerg, you complain vehemently about illegal dirt b ikers nearly running you down on those same trails and single tracks. Why those dirt bikers are so fast, silent and dangerous that you needed to put a superbright light on the front of your bike so that they can see you in time to avoid hitting you. Then there's the mountain lion danger you've mentioned a number of times too.

Cheers
Old October 15th 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-13 13:40, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped

Dopes in cars will get you anywhere.

They do not get me on the American River Bike Path or on the
singletrack.

Snipped
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Ah, but Joerg, you complain vehemently about illegal dirt b ikers
nearly running you down on those same trails and single tracks.

No, I don't. Where have I ever done that?

... Why
those dirt bikers are so fast, silent and dangerous that you needed
to put a superbright light on the front of your bike so that they can
see you in time to avoid hitting you.

Yes, there are areas where that is necessary. Not a problem, it has
worked and I got a bright light on the MTB. They aren't silent but the
low-rpm growl of those bikes isn't easily heard over the din of an MTB
on a rough trail.

... Then there's the mountain lion
danger you've mentioned a number of times too.

Light doesn't likely impress them. And yes, they are here. One of them
killed a neigbor's dog.

Old October 16th 18, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-12 08:44, sms wrote:
On 10/12/2018 7:19 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I lose respect for people who call me or others liars without any
proof. Therefore, EOD.

LOL, you don't get the irony of a person complaining about someone using
anecdotes as "proof," when that individual's presence on Usenet over the
years has been based on promoting anecdotal evidence and dismissing
scientific, peer-reviewed studies with minor unsubstantiated complaints
about the methodology.

Now, as an elected official, I constantly see this sort of thing from
residents, businesses, and officials, promoting something. Ignore all
the evidence and use anecdotes; when it's pointed out to you that you
are wrong, change the subject.

Some people have poor style but if someone accuses another person of
lying without any proof that is a different story. It's not the first time.