1000 miles: Britain's End to End

Old August 22nd 05, 10:15 PM
redwelly

Default 1000 miles: Britain's End to End

After much dreaming and making vague claims for years...

::I'm riding the great \"Land's End to John O' Groats\" tour next
month.::

That's the South Westerly tip all the way up to the North Easterly tip
of mainland Britain. The scenic route we're taking is going to be
around 1000 miles.

My support vehicles are in the form of three friends on bikes. We
should make it in a reasonable 23 days, at around 45 miles per day on
average. This is a fun challenge, not a record attempt. I believe the
record stands with Rob Ambrose, set in 2001 at 12 days, 1hr 59. I also
had a call from Brian Davis, I think the first person to unicycle this
route in 1985, who may meet us at the finish!

We're raising money for Tearfund, part of MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY. They are
a British Christian International relief and development charity, and
have been fantastic at finding us accommodation along the way - with
lots of churches and friends.

Starting on Tues 30th August, we'll be on the road until Thur 22nd
September. The listings of each day's location are on our website,
www.EndtoEnd.tk - so if you live nearby and want to join me on a
unicycle, drop me an email!

I'm going to be riding a 36" Quax wheel (Thanks to Unicycle.com being
the 'official unicycle supplier' to this ride, by donating part of this
unicycle).

Over three weeks doing nothing but unicycling...

Can't wait!

Sam

P.S. I've had a few puncture issues lately - the real problem being how
impossibly hard the bead is to get back on the rim (had to take it to an
LBS eventually!). Does anyone have suggestions for wrangling this tyre
onto the rim... short of hiring a gorrilla to opporate iron tyre levers?
Can the green auto-sealing tube goop work on a 36 tube?

--
redwelly - End to Ender
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

Old August 22nd 05, 10:18 PM
Mikefule

Wow! That's some challenge. A 45 mile a day average for over three
weeks. You must be rock'ard.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

http://www.dolphin-morris.co.uk/

Old August 22nd 05, 11:02 PM
TonyMelton

Wow that sounds like quite a uni-tour and a cool adventure too! Was Rob
Ambrose's record set on a uni or a bike? 12 days sounds quick on a uni,
slow on a bike.

Using metal tyre levers, such as the big long ones Park Tool makes helps
when removing a 36" tyre. Also toe straps and wood clamps have been used
in mounting 36" tyres - John Childs can probably help here.

If you search for 'Tubeless Coker' and find GizmoDuck's original post
about using Stan's No Tubes you'll find out how to make your 36er
tubeless. A somewhat easier weight saving trick is to replace the
standard 36" inner tube with a 29" inner tube. The 29" inner will expand
to fit the 36" rim. There are directions for this 'conversion'
(http://tinyurl.com/cpdjd) on livewireunicycles.com.

--
TonyMelton - Cloud 9

The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old August 23rd 05, 01:20 AM
peter.bier

TonyMelton wrote:
*Wow that sounds like quite a uni-tour and a cool adventure too! Was
Rob Ambrose's record set on a uni or a bike? 12 days sounds quick on a
uni, slow on a bike. *

It was set on a unicycle! I also have a photo somewhere at home of two
record breaking unicyclist at the end of riding from lands end to John o
Groats. (sorry if my spelling is dodgy).

--
peter.bier - Posting since 97

-Peter Bier

peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old August 23rd 05, 09:08 AM
munidobs

Good luck Sam, you mad eejit.

Chris

--
munidobs - Level - probably not !

"We have a firm commitment to Nato; we are a part of Nato. We have a
firm commitment to Europe. We are part of Europe." George Dubya
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

Old August 23rd 05, 09:20 AM
nickjb

Good luck.

Tony, the bicycle record is just under two days, 45 hoursish IIRC. But
they go the short way which is 850 miles.

EDIT: Quick google and it look like the record is nearer 40 hours now

--
nickjb - I've lost a wheel (apparently)
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

Old August 23rd 05, 09:46 AM
norry

Nice one Sam i was wondering when/if you were going to post here after
reading it on your blog some time ago. Wasn't your orginal plan to use
your 29er ? I'd love to join you on a uni for a few hours but i don't
think that my 24 will keep up with that beast of a 36

Good luck and all the best, i'll keep an eye on the local tv.

--
norry - Wanting more Muni rides
norry's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6901

Old August 23rd 05, 10:21 AM
rob.northcott

Cool! Good luck mate - I did it a few years ago on a bike (a very
scenic 1300 miles, 14 days) and had an excellent time. Actually,
thinking about it, it was 17 years ago now - eek, I'm older than I
thought It gets easier as you go on - partly because your legs
get used to it and partly because all the steepest (although not
highest) hills are in the first couple of days through Cornwall and
Devon. Don't be tempted, like I was, to ride along the coast road to
Bude through Widemouth Bay (1:3 hills down and up, rather slow progress
that morning!)

I like the idea of doing a long tour on a unicycle, but I really don't
like riding it on the road more than I have to - it's dangerous enough
on a bike

Rob

--
rob.northcott - Speed Freak (apparently)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Old August 23rd 05, 10:55 AM
phil

rob.northcott wrote:
*I like the idea of doing a long tour on a unicycle, but I really
don't like riding it on the road more than I have to - it's dangerous
enough on a bike *

The CTC have an off-road route for the LEJOG, at a mere 1,176 miles and
120,000 feet of climbing...

Good luck Sam! you mentalist

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

Good, bad... I'm the guy with the Cattle Prod.
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old August 23rd 05, 11:33 AM
rob.northcott

phil wrote:
*The CTC have an off-road route for the LEJOG, at a mere 1,176 miles
and 120,000 feet of climbing...*

Yes, I'm tempted to give that a go sometime. 5-week-old baby will
probably mean it won't be for a bit though! Need to stick to more local
stuff for a bit.