Tracking problem

Old November 4th 04, 10:05 PM
Badger_South

Default Tracking problem

I finally found the root cause of my problem with the bike not tracking
properly. Trek hybrid, no shocks, tires are 700x35c just a touch of
crosshatching treat, almost looks bald.

The third lbs guy to look at it spun the tire and said 'you have a shimmy
in the tire. The tire may have been put on incorrectly and the bead of the
tire might not have been in the rim straight'.

It's a small and hardly noticeable section with the tire is off true for
about 8 inches, and it's definitely the rubber tire portion, but you have
to spin it a time or two if you're not used to looking at tires.

He said he spotted it when spinning my front wheel and checking the brakes.
This guy was really nice, b/c he gave me a quick tune up while putting on
my SPDs. If he'd looked like Halle Berry, I'da...well, you know. ;-D

I noticed the lack of tracking when holding the back of the saddle and
trying to roll the bike forwards. Despite my trying time after tme to do
this and keep the tiny bit of correction going with tilting it, this bike
will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride it without hands, and you
-need- to be able to ride no hands when you're going over 90 minutes to two
hours, imo. If this doesn't fix it, maybe the headset needs examined or
something.

So I'll have 'em look at this, and probably change the tire.

-B

Old November 4th 04, 10:49 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:

|| tilting it, this bike will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride
|| it without hands, and you -need- to be able to ride no hands when
|| you're going over 90 minutes to two hours, imo.

Huh? How'd you get that opinion?

Old November 5th 04, 12:06 AM
Dane Jackson

Roger Zoul wrote:
Badger_South wrote:

|| tilting it, this bike will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride
|| it without hands, and you -need- to be able to ride no hands when
|| you're going over 90 minutes to two hours, imo.

Huh? How'd you get that opinion?

I'm curious too. My first bike wouldn't ride no-hands at all. Not
even a little bit. I rode a double century on that one (10.5 hours
on the bike).

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"I don't see anything wrong with being arrogant
Old November 5th 04, 12:22 AM
Badger_South

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:

|| tilting it, this bike will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride
|| it without hands, and you -need- to be able to ride no hands when
|| you're going over 90 minutes to two hours, imo.

Huh? How'd you get that opinion?

That's so you can sit up and stretch your back, change your gloves, get
somthing out of you back jersey pocket. I used to be able to ride for 5-10
min at a time no hands, totally stable on my old steel Sears&Robuck
schwinn-style twelve-speed.

Most old timers will say 'sheesh, if you're not in a race, pull over sit
and eat'.

But guess what? At some point you'll want to eat on the bike or change your
gloves or shirt, and if you don't practice it, you won't be able to do it.

It's also nice, if you need to clean your glasses, and you've brought some
tissue, after a rain storm.

Part of bike handling 101 regardless; iow, you may never -need- to use that
skill, but you should have it and be comfortable doing it, imo.

I picked 90" to 2 hours as the point at which some ppl start eating and
drinking during the ride. You say 3 hours, I don't disagree.

-B

Old November 5th 04, 12:50 AM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
|| wrote:
||| Huh? How'd you get that opinion?
|| That's so you can sit up and stretch your back, change your gloves,
|| get somthing out of you back jersey pocket. I used to be able to
|| ride for 5-10 min at a time no hands, totally stable on my old steel
|| Sears&Robuck schwinn-style twelve-speed.
|| Most old timers will say 'sheesh, if you're not in a race, pull over
|| sit and eat'.
|| But guess what? At some point you'll want to eat on the bike or
|| change your gloves or shirt, and if you don't practice it, you won't
|| be able to do it.
|| It's also nice, if you need to clean your glasses, and you've
|| brought some tissue, after a rain storm.
|| Part of bike handling 101 regardless; iow, you may never -need- to
|| use that skill, but you should have it and be comfortable doing it,
|| imo.
|| I picked 90" to 2 hours as the point at which some ppl start eating
|| and drinking during the ride. You say 3 hours, I don't disagree.

Well, it's your opinion. I'm of the opinion that if I need to stretch or eat
or whatever, I'll get off the bike. I'm not a pro so there's no need to do
other things while riding. I don't need the hassle of getting hurt
needlessly. Income to protect, responsibilities, etc. YMMV.

BTW, I usually get off the bike at about 20 miles, so your 1.5 hours is
about right for me.

Old November 5th 04, 01:19 AM
Badger_South

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:50:19 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

|| I picked 90" to 2 hours as the point at which some ppl start eating
|| and drinking during the ride. You say 3 hours, I don't disagree.

Well, it's your opinion. I'm of the opinion that if I need to stretch or eat
or whatever, I'll get off the bike. I'm not a pro so there's no need to do
other things while riding. I don't need the hassle of getting hurt
needlessly. Income to protect, responsibilities, etc. YMMV.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't expect to fall off the bike at
speed, but I still ride and I go down hills and reach 35mph. That's gotta
be more dangerous than riding no hands to get something out of your jersey
back pocket, such as a dispo. camera.

BTW, I usually get off the bike at about 20 miles, so your 1.5 hours is
about right for me

My experience may be different, b/c I don't equate riding with no hands as
dangerous at all, given you don't pick the wrong time or part of the road
to do it sparingly. I'm not advocating riding that way to impress the babes
or anything.

It isnt' even so much that, as it's irritating to -not- be able to ride no
hands, even coasting, and take off your sunglasses and put on your spares.

So you telling me you're just over-cautious, or that never having done that
you have none of the skills. You'll never get on a unicycle, then? Just
askin', not trying to be a butt.

I've never even come close to getting hurt or even a hint of it, and I used
to do it a lot with my paper route. I'd fold the papers while riding and
throw them up on the porch.

As I said, it's part of bike handling, imo. Sure, elect not to do it much,
but don't totally avoid having the skill set.

-B
Several of my cycling books talk about it, and one mentions it's necessary
skill, but not sure of their context. I'll look it up if you like.

Old November 5th 04, 01:21 AM
Peter Cole

"Roger Zoul" wrote

Well, it's your opinion. I'm of the opinion that if I need to stretch or

eat
or whatever, I'll get off the bike. I'm not a pro so there's no need to

do
other things while riding. I don't need the hassle of getting hurt
needlessly. Income to protect, responsibilities, etc. YMMV.

There's nothing particularly hazardous about riding no-hands. It's a useful
skill, too. The only time I don't do it is when I'm in a pace line. I don't
use aerobars then, either. I think they're pretty equivalent. I'll
sometimes ride a 30 mile loop entirely in the aerobars. I did it once
no-handed just to see if I could.

Old November 5th 04, 01:25 AM
Badger_South

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:06:29 -0000, Dane Jackson wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:
Badger_South wrote:

|| tilting it, this bike will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride
|| it without hands, and you -need- to be able to ride no hands when
|| you're going over 90 minutes to two hours, imo.

Huh? How'd you get that opinion?

I'm curious too. My first bike wouldn't ride no-hands at all. Not
even a little bit. I rode a double century on that one (10.5 hours
on the bike).

Tell me you rode a double century and didn't eat on the bike? Didn't want
to sit up once and arch your back? Gnarly.

-B

Old November 5th 04, 02:07 AM
Roger Zoul

Peter Cole wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" wrote
||| Well, it's your opinion. I'm of the opinion that if I need to
||| stretch or eat or whatever, I'll get off the bike. I'm not a pro so
||| there's no need to do other things while riding. I don't need the
||| hassle of getting hurt needlessly. Income to protect,
||| responsibilities, etc. YMMV.
|| There's nothing particularly hazardous about riding no-hands. It's a
|| useful skill, too. The only time I don't do it is when I'm in a pace
|| line. I don't use aerobars then, either. I think they're pretty
|| equivalent. I'll sometimes ride a 30 mile loop entirely in the
|| aerobars. I did it once no-handed just to see if I could.

You road a 30-mile loop no-handed?

Old November 5th 04, 02:10 AM
Dane Jackson

Badger_South wrote:

Tell me you rode a double century and didn't eat on the bike?

Of course I ate on the bike. I went through a bunch of clif bars,
some sandwiches, juice, water, etc. I can do all that one handed just
fine. Heck I used to reach into my trunk bag side pocket and pull
stuff out with one hand on the bars.

Didn't want to sit up once and arch your back? Gnarly.

No actually. My back was actually one of the body parts that gave
me zero trouble or discomfort.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Go cut down the carcass of the Duke of Longmot. Cut through the