Saturday 03-19-05 Muni-Ride in San Antonio

Old March 15th 05, 08:36 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

Default Saturday 03-19-05 Muni-Ride in San Antonio

On Saturday 03-19-05 . . .
I'd like to tour San Antonio's most challenging trails!

Hopefully, SteveOwe, SWallis, and some others can give me a tour of the
local trails. I'd like to get in 7-10 miles.
Also, it would be nice if someone could allow me to take a quick shower
after the ride.
Onefiftyfour is considering coming down on Saturday also (but currently
has a brutal injury to the hand).

The current forecast is "few showers" - but the forecast has been a bit
"off" lately. I will be up for riding rain or shine.
Please let me know if you are interested in joining the ride, and I will
update you on the itinerary.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old March 15th 05, 03:40 PM
1-less-wheel

Lasty night Krashin Kenny took Steve and I to 700 acres and it is now
reborn......the place was a blast. And the three good spots we have are
all different from each other so San Antonio will be very diverse. As
for a shower I live only about 5-10 mins away from 700 acres so if we
all go there my place is up for you, love to have ya here. If it rains
we have a local gym that we can play in or downtown has a ton of playin
stuff.

--
1-less-wheel - Muni in Training
1-less-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9284

Old March 15th 05, 04:37 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Here's one more offer
We can actually ride all 3 places on Saturday. It all depends on the
weather. I'd prefer an early start (9 or 10). Fortunately, Scott lives
by O.P. Park, Steve lives by McAllister and I live near 700 Acres, so we
can all check the trail conditions Thursday or Friday and let you know
how they are before you make the trip. Some of the areas can get qute
nasty after a good rain

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old March 15th 05, 06:23 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

TMI: My birthday is this week (03-17) and to celebrate, I upgraded my
unicycle and am making the trip to San Antonio. It seems as though the
hospitality level is notably higher there. A friend (journalist) who I
met while on the trails in Austin has invited me down (along with
several San Antonio riders) which should make it an awesome weekend!
Friday, I plan to get there, party some, sleep.

Saturday, I would like to tour the most challenging trails in the area.
The reason I keep mentioning "challenging" is because often times Austin
riders recommend an intermediate trail called "Wallnut Creek" whereas, I
like to "give people their money's worth" by taking them to a trail that
will teach the rider a new skill or two We have some
"Northshore-like" trails here that get very little riding. To give an
example, we have one trail that is like the dirt jumps in
' the Paul Basigotia video' (http://tinyurl.com/59jo2) but on a steep
hillside! There are some "non-trails" hidden out here that would
(hopefully) validate the use of a brake. If San Antonio riders come
here, I'd be honored to give a tour of most of the trails (even Wallnut
Creek is a blast if the entire 10.5 mile loop is travelled UMX style).
Off the top of my head, I can think of a good 60 miles of trail - and
that's just the single track and excluding the trail mentioned above.

I'm not a great rider, but I get enjoyment and improve simply by riding
trails that aren't.
So . . . "Bring it on San Antonio!"

Old March 15th 05, 07:14 PM
mscalisi

I wish I could come!

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old March 15th 05, 07:36 PM
Krashin'Kenny

[i]

I'm not a great rider, but I get enjoyment and improve simply by
riding trails that aren't.
So . . . "Bring it on San Antonio!" [/b]

Don't worry, I'm OLD and as long as I'm there, we'll keep it somewhat
sane!

Old March 15th 05, 11:15 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Um . . . this is the post where I admit that I have no contact info /
locations.
Please PM me with enough to oriented once I am down there.

Old March 17th 05, 02:48 AM
Krashin'Kenny

I think we should start with O.P. Saturday morning @ 9, then we can see
how everybody feels before we hit some of the other locales. Sort of
just play it by ear after the first ride. How's that sound?

Old March 18th 05, 05:02 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

Update:

1. Onefiftyfour (Eric L.) is going to be there Saturday!!! Watch his
amazing climbing abilities - he had the fastest unicycle time on the
King of Jester Hill Race - all of the other riders fell off their
unicycles. See him ride through his current pain: a partially missing
digit. Definately an event YOU don't want to miss!

2. My journalist friend wants to borrow a mountain bike and come along.
He said that he may do an article on extreme off-road unicycling. I
mentioned that San Antonio seems to be growing in the sport faster than
anywhere else (especially when 20" riders are omitted from other places)
and that there should be about 5 riders or so there (much more than a
non-rider typically sees). He is pretty sure that he can aquire a
mountain bike through his friends, but *as a backup plan,* it would be
great if someone in San Antonio would offer theirs. Any bike that can
cruise the terrain would be sufficient.

3. Friday night, we're considering drinking and riding in San Antonio.
(Last time I did that I couldn't understand why I had no hopping
ability). Saturday night, we're thinking about either going to a reggae
concert (SXSW is this weekend?) or doing a night ride through the crowd
here in Austin in case anyone is interested.

Old March 18th 05, 01:01 PM
Krashin'Kenny

I've got a couple of mtb's that he can borrow. How tall is your friend,
so I can figure out which size he'll need?