Specialized Morgan Hill Gran Prix...A++

Old April 13th 05, 12:41 AM
ODH_Bikes ODH_Bikes is offline
Junior Member

Location: Los Gatos
Default Specialized Morgan Hill Gran Prix...A++

While Lance made a guest appearance in Ojai, Nor Cal had a great turn out @ The Morgan Hill Grand Prix. This was the first time in 10 years since this race took place, yet 120 Cat 1/2's decided to skip the NRC in Ojai in favor of the new Morgan Hill race.

Legendary announcer Richard Fries was on hand to call up key note riders: David Zabriskie, David Clinger, Ben Jacques Maynes, Sid Taberlay (MTB Pro), Liam Killeen (MTB pro), Jackson Stewart. Ned Overend was even on hand for the hotly contested fat boy crit....I am glad my only MTB is a 1 speed cause those guys meant business!

No one really knew what kind of course to expect, the race flyer description downplayed the "hill." Turns out the "hill" was every bit as long and steep as the infamous Cats Hill, yet didn't feel as bad as Cats; you could keep momentum heading into the hill, and the up and over was directly into a downhill rather than a false flat (like @ Cats Hill).

I have to say this race quickly made it's stamp as a new Nor Cal monument. The course was one of the most spectator friendly I have ever seen, Specialized was one of the best race sponsors I have ever seen as well. They must have had half their staff working the race, and the Specialized prize schwag was epic. My GF got 3rd in the 3/4's and won 2 Kevlar tires and Remo Sunglasses...I don't think I have ever won that much booty. Pilarcitos has certainly figured out the formula for a successful race, lets hope Morgan Hill invites everyone back. Don't miss this one next year!

FYI Zabriskie won w/ a long solo move off the front of a Sierra/Webcor loaded break.

http://www.morganhillgrandprix.com/results.html
Rob Evans
www.odhbikes.com