anyone have experience with Kona bikes?

Old August 15th 03, 10:01 PM
Pat

Default anyone have experience with Kona bikes?

x-no-archive:yes

I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model.
The LBS guy said I should get it and add on Avid mechanical disc brakes. He
seems to think they would be less trouble and maintenance than hydraulic
disc brakes. I would put on some slicks and ride it around town most of the
time, but sometimes on the Rails to Trails paths and maybe go out on some
single track. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

Pat in TX

Old August 15th 03, 11:11 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:01:18 -0500,
,
"Pat" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

Pat in TX

They've a good reputation for being bomb proof bikes. Some components
(suspension forks and Shimano cranks) have been the subject of
recalls. There's many Konas, both new and old, ridden around here.
But, then again, they are locally made.

The polo guys with mechanical discs are happier than the guys with
hydraulics.
--
zk
Old August 16th 03, 01:25 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

They've a good reputation for being bomb proof bikes. Some components
(suspension forks and Shimano cranks) have been the subject of
recalls. There's many Konas, both new and old, ridden around here.
But, then again, they are locally made.

The polo guys with mechanical discs are happier than the guys with
hydraulics.
--
zk

Yeah, I've heard that. I was looking at a Kahuna Deluxe but wondering if I
could change out the hydraulic disc brakes for maybe some Avid mechanicals.
At any rate, I can't find any 2003 models, so I'll have to wait until
September and see how much the 2004 ones have changed. My LBS told me that
Kona makes high quality bikes that last forever. I am looking for a cross
country type bike, not a drive-off-the-barn-and-see-if-you-live model.

Pat in TX

Old August 16th 03, 03:26 AM
Dan Cosley

In article , Pat wrote:

I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model...
...Does anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

Can't address your riding needs or the disk brakes thing, but a friend
of mine has a Kona Nunu and she is extremely pleased with it after a
couple of years. I've ridden it a couple of times and found it to be
nice as well, pleasant to ride on the road even with front suspension.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
Old August 16th 03, 04:11 AM
B. Sanders

"Pat" wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes

I am thinking of getting a Kona Cross Country bike, maybe a Kahuna model.
The LBS guy said I should get it and add on Avid mechanical disc brakes.

He
seems to think they would be less trouble and maintenance than hydraulic
disc brakes. I would put on some slicks and ride it around town most of

the
time, but sometimes on the Rails to Trails paths and maybe go out on some
single track. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of bike?

Kona is one of my all-time favorite brands. I've owned several of their
XC/cross-country hardtail mountain bikes, including the titanium Kona Hei
Hei. You can't go wrong with Kona. I recommend their bikes unconditionally.

For the kind of riding you're doing, discs are total overkill. They will
also add about 2 lbs to your bike. I have bikes with discs, and bikes with
V-brakes. Honestly, I prefer the modulation and feel of the V-brakes. The
discs can get "grabby" sometime. Unless you're bombing crazy downhill runs,
you'll never need disc brakes. Save your money and save a bunch of weight.
Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a well-damped shock fork, and
you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip the
discs and get an oil-damped fork. I don't know what kind of V-brakes your
Kona will come with, but any Avid brand V-brakes would be my choice. Even
their low-end models are great.

Get the bike that fits you best, have it adjusted perfectly, and have a
blast on your new ride!

-Barry

Old August 16th 03, 04:51 AM
Buck

"B. Sanders" wrote in message

For riding around town and on rail trails, you might wish you didn't have

full suspension bike. They're great for serious off-road riding; but not
much else. After you've bombed curbs for a while, you get tired of

bobbing
up and down, and feeling like you're wasting your energy (which you are).
Hardtail frames are much more efficient. (read: faster) The Kahuna looks
like a great deal for the money. Very hard to beat, if it's what you

really
want.

That all depends on the kind of roads you must ride and how often you want
to bomb the trails. I bought my first full-suspension bike specifically
because of a really bad section of road that was on my daily commute. Yes,
I'm talking really, really bad. Patch upon patch on top of more patches with
more than a few large cracks and loose patch material everywhere. Besides,
if you set up the suspension correctly, then "bobbing" shouldn't be a
problem. If it is, you should really work on your pedalling technique. My
favorite time to have suspension is when you have to cross "washboards" on
trails or gravel roads. I love to watch the hardtail guys bouncing all over
the place while I stay seated and pedal on through. The best setup is two
wheelsets, one with road slicks and higher gearing and the other with a good
set of knobbies for the trails you ride most often.

Also, disc brakes are great on the street if you ride in the rain on a
regular basis. They are less affected by road grit and grime and are much
more predictable than rim brakes. If they were such a bad idea, then we
wouldn't see them migrating over to road and cyclocross bikes.

Good luck,
Buck

Old August 16th 03, 05:02 AM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:11:54 -0500,
, "B. Sanders"
wrote:

Save your money and save a bunch of weight.
Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a well-damped shock fork, and
you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip the
discs and get an oil-damped fork.

That'd do 'er.
--
zk
Old August 16th 03, 07:29 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:24:57 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:02:50 -0700, Zoot Katz from
Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd. Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:11:54 -0500,
, "B. Sanders"
wrote:

Save your money and save a bunch of weight.
Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a well-damped shock fork, and
you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip the
discs and get an oil-damped fork.

That'd do 'er.

OK, my LBS manager has a Kona and loves it, and then this thread .... so I
decided to check out the web site.

They have an $800 single speed. WTF?

"The Kona Unit uses True Temper OX Platinum tubing, which doesn’t mean
a whole hell of a lot unless you’re up to date with your bike tube
manufacturing.
Basically, what that does tell you is that the Kona Unit is a
thoughtful, well-equipped bike designed by individuals who understand.
So just trust us on this one…"

Fab's moonlighting flak for Kona?
--
zk
Old August 16th 03, 05:46 PM
B. Sanders

wrote:

Save your money and save a bunch of weight.
Get a nice, lightweight Kona hardtail with a well-damped shock fork, and
you're all set. If you're going to spend some money on upgrades, skip

the
discs and get an oil-damped fork.

That'd do 'er.

OK, my LBS manager has a Kona and loves it, and then this thread .... so I
decided to check out the web site.

They have an $800 single speed. WTF?

Single speed is a state of mind - it's also a niche boutique market. They
more than make up for the lack of gears with beaucoup pricey schwag, custom
frames, custom paint, disc brakes, etc. The Kona Unit has the "right
stuff" - RaceFace cranks, Avid brakes, high-end steel tubing, disc-ready
wheelset, frame and fork. The $799 price point puts the Kona Unit well
below the cost of just a bare frame from most custom builders, but with
near-identical frame specs, and that famous Kona ride. If I were an 1FS*
d00d, I'd buy one.

-=Barry=-

*= 1 F*cking Speed

Old August 17th 03, 09:45 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:22:04 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

Kona's all about hype, innit?

They've got a good product and work to maintain their hard-core image.
Guys were throwing around Konas on the North Shore for years before
anybody outside ever heard of the place.
Having seen lots of their bikes, I wouldn't say it's all hype.
--
zk

Importing European touring bikes to U.S. Stupid idea? Art Winterbauer General 15 August 20th 03 12:55 AM
The bikes in front of the library Claire Petersky General 9 August 16th 03 12:39 PM
hybrid bikes Doug Purdy General 8 August 10th 03 05:20 PM
Belgium/Netherlands touring bikes Art Winterbauer General 8 August 4th 03 08:24 AM
Van Tuyl Bikes? nobody General 1 July 15th 03 09:32 AM