Want to ride the lobster

Old November 20th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Default Want to ride the lobster

I have two routes choosen for two day 160+km ride.

Route 1 is 80km from Millville to Oromocto.
Route 2 is ~80km Fredericton to Oromocto, Douglas Fredericton Loop.

Have been unable to confirm the verticle rise of the hills in the
vicinity of the ride.

Going on my 29" with 125 cranks, backback, cellphone, mp3 player.

Expecting the weather to be -10 and chance of snow during day.

Since my present average speed is 10kph should take 8-9hrs (with
breaks).

Wish me luck.

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
savethelobster

legtod2 wrote:

Expecting the weather to be -10 and chance of snow during day.

Since my present average speed is 10kph should take 8-9hrs (with
breaks).

Wish me luck.

Errrm, good luck Dude.

--
savethelobster
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
genbirch

legtod2 wrote:

Wish me luck.

Good luck - enjoy your challenge!

--
genbirch
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

I've got a quick question, The qualifying ride can be done in your own
area right? you don't need to go to the race location to do a
qualifying ride?

--
Ducttape

'-*BUY MY SHIRTS*-'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle/products)
'*WATCH MY VIDEOS*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DucttapesUnicycle)

'*Uniman Comics*'
'*Original Thread for Uniman*'
wickedbob wrote:
Oh my goodness when I open it up it hurts soooo bad!

harper wrote:
Think before you post.

UniBrier wrote:
A six pack of root beer to the first teen who sigs that.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Keldridge

Correct... you can do it anywhere...

--
Keldridge
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Keldridge wrote:
Correct... you can do it anywhere...

ok, then I know the routes I want, thanks! I'm going to start planning
now.

--

wickedbob wrote:
Oh my goodness when I open it up it hurts soooo bad!

harper wrote:
Think before you post.

Old November 25th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Saturday's weather was -10 with -18 windchill. No riding

Sunday was brighter and only -10, wind chill -14 so off I went.

I loaded up my back pack with extra shirt, sweatpants (layers for
possible snow flurries). Also loaded up with water, banana, V8 juice,
sandwich, and other snackes, plus a camcorder/camera, cellphone.
Carried two mp3 players, but batteries only lasted 1.5hrs.

Wearing just sweat pants over cycle shorts, light shirt, jogging
jacket, and backpack I was ready.

I warmed up as soon as I was on the biking trails, no chills with light
breathable clothing. Looked like it would start snowing when I was 25
km's out, but it held off.

Since this is only my second time going long distance I decided to keep
a steady pace of 10kph. I remember the story about the tortise and the
hare. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks to my Vetta cyclometer, I was able to keep accurate measurement
of average speed, max speed, and distance travelled.

At the end of the ride I travelled 53.7 km at an average speed of
9.8km/hr, with top speed bursts of 14.9km/hr. No too shabby for a 29"
wheel with 125 cranks.

Felt good at the end, could of gone longer. Next time I'll pack lighter
and go farther.

At least today's run allowed me to see if I'm cut out to qualify.
Can't comment of the hills I climbed, don't know how tall they where or
where to go to find that out.

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 25th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
genbirch

Nice trial ride. I assumed that your attempt would be this weekend. Try
out some shorter cranks this week - I bet you'll be able to handle them
well and your qualifying ride will be quicker of it - probably will
save you an hour of cold exposure.
See ya.

--
genbirch
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

legtod2 wrote:

Felt good at the end, could of gone longer. Next time I'll pack lighter
and go farther.

Sounds like you did good to me Legtod. The cold weather can be a
killer if you're not used to riding in it, but you did better than I
would have done in those temperatures.

As for the elevation of the hills, check out http://www.mapmyride.com/
and plot your route there. It'll confirm the distance as well as give
you elevation details.

I'm looking forward to the not too distant future to the "I've
qualified for RTL" post. It doesn't sound like it's far away now!

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

due to bad weather I was only able to go about 35 miles along my planned
route(round trip) but I think I can make it the rest of the way no
problem.

--

*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
http://www.usenet.com