Judiasm and Unicycling

Old October 28th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Default Judiasm and Unicycling

Quite Interesting -

I am in the process of teaching a friend of mine who is a religous Jew
how to unicycle. (Well he allready rides but I have to get him up to
MUni level!)

Anyway religous Jewish people will not work on Saturday. There is a
whole debate on what is considered work but that is another story. The
thing is that putting a bicycle chain back on the sprocket is
considered work. Therefore very few religous Jewish people will ride a
bicycle on Saturday because if the chain happens to fall off they are
not put it back on. Now my friend does unicycle on Saturday because the
KH24 does not have this problem! Pretty cool!

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

My group (NYUC) has several orthodox Jewish members. None of them will
ride on the sabbath, but all of them acknowledge that this is partly
because of their skill and general unicycle knowledge. If they were
better riders and had more faith in their equipment, they'd probably
ride on the sabbath. But because they're afraid that something might
break, they don't want to take the chance.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
James_Potter

Are you allowed to not fix it Saturday but leave it till tomorrow?

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

James_Potter wrote:
Are you allowed to not fix it Saturday but leave it till tomorrow?

Yes, essentialy the idea is that for one day a week you do no work.
What you do on the other day is up to you.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fatlardboy13

I was first introduced to unicycling at my Hebrew high school (it's like
Sunday school but it was on Tuesday nights). Anyway, during break these
2 kids sometimes brought their unis with them and would ride them at
break. So I probably wouldn't even know about unicycling if it wasn't
for them.

--
fatlardboy13

"only a fool would quote this quote"
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Unicorn wrote:
Pretty cool!

Pretty much Just Conversation like all the unicycle for Christ threads.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

harper wrote:
Pretty much Just Conversation like all the unicycle for Christ threads.

I would think that this is actualy a little bit more intelegent than
the unicycle for christ threads, and infact almost completely
unrelated.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hoshnasi

Correct me if I am wrong, but they also are not suppose to watch TV, use
computer or the phone on Saturday.

--
hoshnasi
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
savethelobster

David_Stone wrote:
My group (NYUC) has several orthodox Jewish members. None of them will
ride on the sabbath, but all of them acknowledge that this is partly
because of their skill and general unicycle knowledge. If they were
better riders and had more faith in their equipment, they'd probably
ride on the sabbath. But because they're afraid that something might
break, they don't want to take the chance.

Wouldn't wheeling the unicycle out of it's stowage, preparing to ride,
inflating tires, unfolding maps, putting on protective wear ...
etc.etc.etc. constitute "work" ? Riding muni seems pretty hard work to
me.

Whatever your delusion of choice is, it shouldn't get in the way of
exercising and having fun on an arbitrarily chosen day - Saturday,
Sunday, Tuesday, Friday 13th, Hallowe'en ...

STL

--
savethelobster
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisteve

hoshnasi wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but they also are not suppose to watch TV, use
computer or the phone on Saturday.

You might be thinking of the Amish.

i thought it was a little funny...

--
unisteve

harper wrote:
Don't listen to that cracker. Germans don't know jack about their own
language.

tomblackwood wrote:
These were a couple of seriously fit 45+ women

martin.phillips wrote:

Into the blue wrote:

Where oh where is JC?

Seated at the right hand of his father?

Wassail!

http://www.usenet.com

+1 for unicycling! jamessd Unicycling 7 July 24th 07 01:25 PM
unicycling on tv unipro Unicycling 3 June 24th 06 07:05 AM
New to unicycling SpecialK Unicycling 5 June 8th 06 06:25 AM
New to unicycling JJuggle Unicycling 0 June 7th 06 08:03 PM
New to unicycling Unitik908 Unicycling 0 June 7th 06 07:58 PM