Manitou Swinger 4-Way Rear Shock

Old August 18th 04, 05:26 AM
AC 1

Default Manitou Swinger 4-Way Rear Shock

Is it worth it to upgrade my AC1 with one of these shocks. I have a Rock
Shox Pro-Deluxe and it works fine. Some peddle bob but not to bad. Anything
else in a rear shock that I should consider. Another brand. I do mostly XC
and NO free riding. Very tame on the trails.

Old August 18th 04, 10:08 AM
Replace1with\i\mp

AC 1 wrote:
Is it worth it to upgrade my AC1 with one of these shocks. I have a Rock
Shox Pro-Deluxe and it works fine. Some peddle bob but not to bad. Anything
else in a rear shock that I should consider. Another brand. I do mostly XC
and NO free riding. Very tame on the trails.

Fox vanilla RC is in this range, bit cheaper than manitou, but if you do
mostly XC (XC with A1????) --- it's no need to upgrade.

Old August 19th 04, 12:19 AM
Bruce Edge

Replace1with"i"mp wrote:
AC 1 wrote:

Is it worth it to upgrade my AC1 with one of these shocks. I have a Rock
Shox Pro-Deluxe and it works fine. Some peddle bob but not to bad.
Anything
else in a rear shock that I should consider. Another brand. I do
mostly XC
and NO free riding. Very tame on the trails.

Fox vanilla RC is in this range, bit cheaper than manitou, but if you do
mostly XC (XC with A1????) --- it's no need to upgrade.

The RC is a completely different animal. The swinger is an SPV shock,
the RC is not, neither is the rock shox.

A swinger, or any other SPV shock will pedal with much less bob.
I rode an AC1 with a swinger for a while and was really amazed at it's
climbing feel.
I bought a romic (SPV) to replace my RC on my joker, and it made a world
of difference.

If you want to improve your overall efficiency, go for it.

-Bruce
Old August 19th 04, 12:32 AM
AC 1

A swinger, or any other SPV shock will pedal with much less bob.
I rode an AC1 with a swinger for a while and was really amazed at it's
climbing feel.
I bought a romic (SPV) to replace my RC on my joker, and it made a world
of difference.

If you want to improve your overall efficiency, go for it.

-Bruce

Sounds great Bruce. The Rock Shox does bob a lot. Since I never rode a bike
with SPV it's kinda hard to really compare the 2. I know the Swinger is
suposed to be very plush as far as rear shocks go. I And the Romic has some
very good things going for it according to some reviews. Thx Bruce.
Anyone else know any pros or cons on either above rear shocks. How about the
Fox Pro Peddle?

Old August 19th 04, 02:08 AM
Slacker

=

bike
with SPV it's kinda hard to really compare the 2. I know the Swinger i=

suposed to be very plush as far as rear shocks go. I And the Romic has=

=

some
very good things going for it according to some reviews. Thx Bruce.
Anyone else know any pros or cons on either above rear shocks. How abo=

ut =

the
Fox Pro Peddle?

Just a couple cautions:

1. Romics are great when they work. Romic has experienced a huge amount =
of =

failures... And I mean huge! You can read about it on any of the DH =

forums. Romic published an apology, which was really cool, explaining th=
e =

failures and promising to take care of anyone who had problems. This was=
=

great, but for many of us, we had (the same and worse) failures after =

Romic did the warranty work or replaced the entire shock.

2. I just purchased a Fox Pro Pedal last weekend. Unfortunately, I can't=
=

tell you how it feels or works because I'll never use it (as it is right=
=

now). I just shipped it off to www.pushindustries.com this afternoon for=
=

upgrade. Why, because the Fox has also experienced massive failures, =

perhaps even more than Romic. I didn't/don't care because now I have a =

very reliable and competent shop that can work on it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just laying out some facts for you to =
=

factor in. Romic's customer service is excellent, which is their saving =
=

grace. But who cares how many times they take "care of you," if you have=
=

the same failure over again. I had Marzocchi fix/replace my ECC cartridg=
e =

on my 2001 Z1 four times. After the last ECC failure, I just gave up. =

Sorry, but I'm not going thru this with Romic... twice was enough for me=
..

Choose wisely, and have a plan B in place, just in case.

-- =

Slacker
Old August 19th 04, 03:04 AM
SuperSlinky

Slacker said...

1. Romics are great when they work. Romic has experienced a huge amount of
failures... And I mean huge! You can read about it on any of the DH
forums. Romic published an apology, which was really cool, explaining the

Eh, did you miss the part where he said he did tame XC and not downhill?
Old August 19th 04, 03:16 AM
SuperSlinky

AC 1 said...

Sounds great Bruce. The Rock Shox does bob a lot. Since I never rode a bike
with SPV it's kinda hard to really compare the 2. I know the Swinger is
suposed to be very plush as far as rear shocks go. I And the Romic has some
very good things going for it according to some reviews. Thx Bruce.
Anyone else know any pros or cons on either above rear shocks. How about the
Fox Pro Peddle?

The Vanilla RC has ProPedal, Fox's version of SPV damping. While Bruce
is correct that the Fox doesn't use the trademarked SPV label, it is
designed as an anti-bob shock. I'm sure you could find plenty of
opinions as to which actually works better by searching MTBR reviews and
forums as well as Google. Progressive's 5th element might also be one to
consider. Titus told me that they could sell me an '05 Fox, but not an
'04 Manitou, as the production run sold out. But I would think somebody
has some somewhere. The Titus rep said the '05 Fox looked to be the hot
product for next year.
Old August 19th 04, 03:25 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:04:33 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:

Slacker said...

1. Romics are great when they work. Romic has experienced a huge amou=

nt =

of
failures... And I mean huge! You can read about it on any of the DH
forums. Romic published an apology, which was really cool, explaining=

=

the

Eh, did you miss the part where he said he did tame XC and not downhil=

l?

This has nothing to do with the type of riding you do. It was a =

manufacturing error/design flaw. At least 85% of the failures I've heard=
=

about (and experienced personally) were either DOA or blew within a coup=
le =

minutes/days.

It was only a friendly warning about the two companies, not just their S=
PV =

shocks.
-- =

Slacker
Old August 19th 04, 04:30 AM
AC 1

"SuperSlinky" wrote in message
t...
AC 1 said...

[...]

Wow! Thats a lot of things to consider. But all are excellent advice and I
want to thank each and everyone of you for sharing that important info with
me. I'm glad I got some hard facts. Last thing I need is to get a shock that
is prone to failure. I will take all this advice into consideration and try
and decide what the best thing to do is. Right now the Pro Deluxe is
working and it would make a great back up. Thx for the great advice peeps.

Old August 19th 04, 11:07 AM
Replace1with\i\mp

AC 1 wrote:
[...]

I tested vanilla RC (pro pedal), swinger (4W and 5W) and 5th element and
finally get vanilla as best price/performance option. First choice, if
you compare only performance, is 5th element.

I had marzocchi boss VR.adjust for 2 years and it worked fine, except it
has no "anti-bob" mechanics, but is cheaper and lighter than RS and
works similar.

This is my rig with manitou:
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/albums...01_G.sized.jpg

and another with boss: