Turning that self-destructed gripshifter bike into a single speed

Old October 14th 03, 02:41 PM
Pat

Default Turning that self-destructed gripshifter bike into a single speed

x-no-archive:yes

I have decided to make the plunge and turn my self-destructed grip shift
bike into a single speed. There's only one (aesthetic, I guess) problem:
The triple chainring set is of the type where the rings are riveted
together. I can take off the front derailleur and put a spacer on the back
with a chain tensioner (I guess that's what I'll need) but I'll still be
stuck with the triple chainring set in the front. I want to do this as
cheaply as possible--that's the challenge of it to me.

Oh, yeah, and somebody tell me all the benefits of a single speed bike,
plez. Part of me still says "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Pat in TX

Old October 14th 03, 03:37 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Pat wrote:
x-no-archive:yes

I have decided to make the plunge and turn my self-destructed grip shift
bike into a single speed. There's only one (aesthetic, I guess) problem:
The triple chainring set is of the type where the rings are riveted
together. I can take off the front derailleur and put a spacer on the back
with a chain tensioner (I guess that's what I'll need) but I'll still be
stuck with the triple chainring set in the front. I want to do this as
cheaply as possible--that's the challenge of it to me.

Nothing says you need a chain tensioner at all if you can find a gear
combination that allows you to get the chain tight enough. And
if the bike has a rear derailleur on it, you already have a chain
tensioner.

I suggest modifying the bike as little as possible since you may
choose to install shifters in the future. Just take the shifters and
cables off, adjust the stops on the rear derailleur to put it in
a reasonable gear, and you're done.

If your riding terrain is reasonable you'll get by with one gear.
A screwdriver in your pocket can also let you switch gears if
you chose the wrong one when you set out, assuming you leave the
rear derailleur on.

--Paul
Old October 14th 03, 04:38 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:41:27 -0500, "Pat" wrote:
I have decided to make the plunge and turn my self-destructed grip shift
bike into a single speed. There's only one (aesthetic, I guess) problem:
The triple chainring set is of the type where the rings are riveted

Drill out the rivets and replace with bolts as necessary.

Or, you did say that it's a beater, right? Cut off the unwanted
chainrings just outside the riveted part...

Pat in TX

--
Rick Onanian
Old October 14th 03, 04:43 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Nothing says you need a chain tensioner at all if you can find a gear
combination that allows you to get the chain tight enough. And
if the bike has a rear derailleur on it, you already have a chain
tensioner.

I suggest modifying the bike as little as possible since you may
choose to install shifters in the future. Just take the shifters and
cables off, adjust the stops on the rear derailleur to put it in
a reasonable gear, and you're done.

If your riding terrain is reasonable you'll get by with one gear.
A screwdriver in your pocket can also let you switch gears if
you chose the wrong one when you set out, assuming you leave the
rear derailleur on.

--Paul

You have good ideas. The guys at the LBS suggested the other modifications
because they kept saying "and it'll make the bike lighter." Maybe they
just meant "it'll make the bike cooler looking."

Pat in TX