DA 7800 vs Bontrager race x-lite wheels

Old May 2nd 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
botfood

Default DA 7800 vs Bontrager race x-lite wheels

....gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to keep,
and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very good
shape, which would you keep?

The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

Old May 2nd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

botfood wrote:
...gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to keep,
and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very good
shape, which would you keep?

The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

Keep 'em both unless you need rent money or something. Never hurts to have
an extra set of wheels. (Hell, buy a new frame for the spare set! Then you
need components...and accessories...and outfits...and...)

HTH!

Old May 3rd 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Krueger

On May 2, 2:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
botfood wrote:
...gaaaagh! I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which to keep,
and I dont need both. Given that both wheelsets are in very good
shape, which would you keep?

The numbers I've been able to find show the DA 7800 wheelset to be a
little heavier, but they FEEL like they roll better. Has anyone
actually done any testing of these in a head-to-head roll off? Is
there a reasonable reliable way to even test this? With all the talk
about bearings lately, it seems like a small difference in rolling
resistance may make a semi-significant difference for solo/tt/
breakaway situations where every watt counts?!

Keep 'em both unless you need rent money or something. Never hurts to have
an extra set of wheels. (Hell, buy a new frame for the spare set! Then you
need components...and accessories...and outfits...and...)

HTH!

Good advice. It doesn't take that much abuse to destroy a rim, whether
it be carbon fiber or aluminum. I consider rims expendibles, not
permanent component parts of the bike. One big, unseen pothole is all
it takes. Having a complete backup set of wheels is nice to have when
you hope to ride every day.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

botfood wrote:
[...]

Not to mention simpler things like getting ready for a ride and discovering
a flat tire. Saves time and trouble to be able to just slap a different
wheel in there and roll out the do'.

Bill "we're not...peasants!" S.