Handebar broke off - nasty cash

Old September 1st 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Handebar broke off - nasty cash

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 4:01:50 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 07:47:28 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-08-29 04:03, Tosspot wrote:
On 29/08/2019 00.38, Joerg wrote:

snip

Not having that dreaded handlebar tape anymore is another serious
upside of the (steel) flat bar I have now. I mounted these:

https://www.meetlocksonline.com/coll...e-parts-1-pair

Very comfortable. So much so that I installed the non-horned version
on the MTB.

https://www.meetlocksonline.com/coll...e-parts-1-pair

My favorite style. I have the Ergon GP3s on all my flat handlebar bikes,
unlike the meetlocks the horn is adjustable.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...s/rp-prod15030

I also like the non-horned GP1s.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ps/rp-prod9686

Except mine cost less than half :-)

However, the non-horned Ergon is better because on the Meetlocks
non-horned they elected to use a compression rubber mount for the
outsides. Beats me why because the integrated aluminum clamp ring on the
horned version would have been possible and is so much better.
Especially on an MTB where you reach in more forcefully.

Some years ago I was building up an old frame and used straight bars.
I found that on longer rides, say 2 hours, or more, my wrists got
tired. I changed to normal drop bars and it seemed much more
comfortable.

But, of course, this depends on what one is used to :-)

True. I don't know how the mountain bike guys do it for so long.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 1st 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 2019-08-29 04:03, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

I just talked to a cyclist friend who said he's thinking about either
buying a bike with flat bars, or converting his existing 1990s drop bar
bike to flat bars. While we were conversing in his home, he mimicked the
bent over, bent elbow "on the drops" position and said it's too extreme
for him.

My response? Raise the stem and handlebars! He said he had them as high
as they would go, so I advised buying a new stem.

I do believe many people put their bars too low. The hoods or tops of
the bar should be at a completely comfortable height. (I don't think
it's a requirement to be quite as comfortable on the drops as on the
hoods, since most people use the drops much less often.)

Note, drop bars ridden on top still give an easier ride than with
straight bars. Straight bars rotate your elbows outward, increasing
frontal area. Drop bars keep your elbows out of the wind even when
riding the hoods or the top bends of the bars. And of course, they make
available lower positions that really reduce air drag.

Plus, for me at least, climbing is much easier when I can pull on the hoods.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 1st 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 2019-08-29 04:03, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

The old rule of thumb was first the seat height and location taking
the knee into consideration and next the handlebar position - from the
elbow to the finger tip between the saddle nose and the back of the
bar and finally the handle bar/stem height so that in the drops the
handle bar just blocked the view of the front axle.

Granted, these were "old time" measurements but over the years I've
found that if you started with those settings and then moved things a
bit to be comfortable that one ended up very close to what the old
folks recommended. My seat to handle bar measurement is from my elbow
to the first joint on my middle finger, for example. About an inch
closer than recommended. (and I'm a short guy :-)

Climbing I tend to keep my elbows bent and undoubtedly pull against
the hoods although I seem to feel it more in my arms.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 1st 19, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On 2019-08-29 04:03, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

Why doesn't he buy a quill stem extender? Then prhaps all he'd have to do is get new cables and housings.

Funny thing is I do just the opposite in that I convert straight bar MTBs to drop bars as those converted thusly make fantastic loaded touring bikes.

Cheers

On 2019-08-29 04:03, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

Cut about three inches off each end of handlebar and move everything inwards towards the stem and then add bar-ends and you'll have a setup nearly as comfortable as drop bars and with hardly any cost.

Cheers
Old September 1st 19, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2019-08-29 13:19, Andy wrote:
Glad you are ok. Nothing beats steel.

Absolutamente! Steel is what I have now as a handlebar.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

From a safety point of view I think you woud be better off with a CF handlebar with the same weight as your current steel one.

I wonder if anyone makes one.

It seems easy to market "Less weight!" It might be difficult to market
"Less likely to break!"

"Price, durability, low weight -- pick any two" seems to hold true. AFAIK, there is not an epidemic of broken aluminum road bars of modern design from reputable manufacturers. There are heavier CF bars on the market from Salsa, Ritchie and others.

-- Jay Beattie.

KISS MY ASS JIMMYMAC SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 727 0306 ***SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 IAMGOD Recumbent Biking 0 November 18th 06 10:20 PM
TROLLING IS WHAT I DO BEST SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 727 0306 ***SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 561 IAMGOD Recumbent Biking 0 November 18th 06 10:19 PM
Nasty Women @ the Gym Martha Hughes Racing 1 March 28th 06 10:15 PM
Looks nasty.... Humbug Australia 4 November 7th 05 05:05 AM
Handebar Sizing and Setup Scott Mountain Biking 6 October 11th 04 01:36 AM