What's the current state-of-the-art red LED?

Old August 20th 17, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default What's the current state-of-the-art red LED?

A recent thread mentioned the Cree XPL-HI white LED.

What's the current hot red LED? Either in terms of lumens/watt or
totoal output. My taillight is several years old and there must be
something better by now.

Old August 20th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:36:14 AM UTC-7, somebody wrote:
A recent thread mentioned the Cree XPL-HI white LED.

What's the current hot red LED? Either in terms of lumens/watt or
totoal output. My taillight is several years old and there must be
something better by now.

What is better is a GoPro camera/rear light that records the actions of motorists behind you. The light is bright and you always have a recording to turn into the cops of the antics of drivers. Several people in our group have GoPro's front and back.

On one occasion when a driver chased a cyclist even going to the point of driving up a trail through a bamboo planting the Highway Patrol said that they wouldn't accept photographic evidence. Our intrepid rider went straight to the head of the CHP who ordered ALL of his offices to always accept these recordings.
Old August 21st 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 6:36:14 AM UTC-4, somebody wrote:
A recent thread mentioned the Cree XPL-HI white LED.

What's the current hot red LED? Either in terms of lumens/watt or
totoal output. My taillight is several years old and there must be
something better by now.

"Better" isn't necessary. You don't need the brightest LED, especially since
bright LEDs now blind other cyclists. You need a lighting system that makes you
visible from maybe half a block away for city use, or maybe 1/4 mile for other
use. Add some reflectors and you're in fine shape.

Years ago, I got spontaneous compliments from two different motorists about my
generator taillight (with an incandescent bulb), my 1990-something LED blinky
and some reflecting stuff.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 21st 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 11:36:14 AM UTC+1, somebody wrote:

What's the current hot red LED? Either in terms of lumens/watt or
totoal output. My taillight is several years old and there must be
something better by now.

There is. If you can get Busch & Muller gear at a reasonable price, Europeans currently consider the B&M Toplight Line Plus to be the state of the art rear lamp. As a bonus it is, by BUMM and European standards anyway, pretty cheap, though overpriced for what is essentially a piece of cheap plastic (made with hightech optics, true) with some electronics. There are battery and hub dynamo models, and it has a standlight (keeps shining for a period even if you stop the bike). It is the first reasonably priced lamp that is superior to Cateye TL-LD1100, the longtime champion. It's only downside is that it doesn't blink, because that is forbidden by German law. You can see mine photographed in daylight as a daylight running lamps at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec5.html
near the bottom of the article, and at night at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec5.html
This is the BUMM English page for the Line Plus for dynamo operation
http://en.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-ru...line-plus.html
and here is the battery version
http://en.bumm.de/produkte/akku-ruec...ight-line.html
Senso means the lamp switches itself on when it grows dark. Maybe you want it if you use battery lamps, but if you use dynamo lamps, these BUMM lamps lend themselves well to be run as daylight running lamps, so you don't need the Senso versions. However, the senso version is so popular, there is usually no saving, so I've always bought the Senso version; it works. I bought mine from XXCycle in France, who ship to the States. You can start from this English page:
https://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique...ight+line+plus
There's a fellow in the States who imports BUMM lamps, but his prices are a bit fancy, though his delivery may be cheaper; you can find Peter White at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

Hope this helps.

Andre Jute
Poteen also gets me lit up