SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it?

Old June 23rd 04, 12:10 PM
chickasmith

Default SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it?

I have looked at SBS Sports tv programming and have seen that SBS will be
showing every Sunday live on the tv at about 10pm ish besides the first
Sunday. Normally this starts at about 11pm with Hodgey and Andrew Orsatti
giving everyone a general overview on whats already happened and whats going
to happen with the Aussies.

Anyway, my gripe is not with them, but with the fact that these are Sunday
stages. Last year they were lucky with the Sunday stages in that one of
them went up L'alpe D'huez, and the other one went through the Pyrennes
(bloody slept through alarm!), and then the Champs Elysees stage which in
truth is quite boring because most of results are completed - last year
again lucky as there were two Australians going for green.

So what are this years Sunday stages?
Stage 8 - Lamballe to Quimper (Quimper was where Phil Anderson won in 1991)
.... nothing more than a flat stage then I would assume ...

Stage 14 - Carcassonne to Nimes - another flat(tish) stage in between the
Pyrenees and the Alps ... yawn

Stage 20 - Champs Elysees stage which you already know of my opinion ...

I guess living in Australia, any coverage is better than no coverage, but
couldnt they have picked better stages to show, particularly in the Alps and
Pyrenees, such as the mightly individual time trial up L'Alpe D'Huez?

Am I being overcritical on what they have 'chosen' if they had the ability
to? At least they have been good with the Euro coverage on Sunday mornings
this year with newer races being shown (but all these races are organised by
the Tour de France organisation ...)

Only ten days to go ... at least there is the internet and there will be
'live' internet audio ...

Old June 23rd 04, 01:06 PM
NickZX6R

chickasmith wrote:

[...]

Even though the mountain stages are possibly the most interesting,
I'll watch _any_ road cycling on TV

--
Nick
Old June 23rd 04, 01:22 PM
Peter Signorini

"chickasmith" wrote in message

So what are this years Sunday stages?
Stage 8 - Lamballe to Quimper (Quimper was where Phil Anderson won in

1991)
... nothing more than a flat stage then I would assume ...

Stage 14 - Carcassonne to Nimes - another flat(tish) stage in between the
Pyrenees and the Alps ... yawn

Stage 20 - Champs Elysees stage which you already know of my opinion ...

I guess living in Australia, any coverage is better than no coverage, but
couldnt they have picked better stages to show, particularly in the Alps

and
Pyrenees, such as the mightly individual time trial up L'Alpe D'Huez?

You will also have live coverage of Stage 16 Bourg d'Oisans to L'Alpe d"Huez
15km (is this right?) time trial. Screening from 11.25pm on Wed 21st July.
Get an early nap and set the alarm, or book a sickie.

http://www.sbs.com.au/sport/sportcal...ek=2004-07-18#

Cheers
Peter

Old June 23rd 04, 02:01 PM
chickasmith

I dont think that counts as it doesnt say 'live' on it - this is likely to
be a repeat of the 6pm program, as it is repeated late on SBS every night
besides the days with the live coverage ...

What do they have on foxtel regarding the tour?

Old June 24th 04, 12:47 AM
HUMBUG

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:01:38 +1000, chickasmith Wrote :
I dont think that counts as it doesnt say 'live' on it - this is likely to

From the URL below.......

Live coverage of Stage 16. Bourg d'Oisans - L'Aipe d'Huez
15 KM time trial (Delayed to SA, NT and WA)

snip

Old June 24th 04, 01:11 AM
Glen F

Didn't someone here a while back say you can get the thing live
on (free) New Caledonian satellite (in French of course)? Why
can't SBS just re-broadcast that? Cost I guess...

Old June 24th 04, 02:52 AM
chickasmith

Oh now I see ... I was supposed to click on the link. Then I must have to
click on all links then to confirm what is happening ...

Many thanks (and previous apologies) for that ...

Wrote :
I dont think that counts as it doesnt say 'live' on it - this is likely

From the URL below.......

Old June 24th 04, 03:35 AM
chickasmith

Default SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it? YES!

SBS have just published their press release regarding the Tour with 4 stages
live including the individual time trial up L'Alpe D'Huez ... fantastic!!!
I am looking forward to this one ...

Their website www.sbs.com.au/tdf will also be updated from Friday July 2 ...

I'm excited!

Old June 24th 04, 04:00 AM
flyingdutch

Glen F wrote:
Didn't someone here a while back say you can get the thing live on
(free) New Caledonian satellite (in French of course)? Why can't SBS
just re-broadcast that? Cost I guess...

Anyone know of someone/somewhere with one of those hubble-dishes
strapped to their home?

I say let's crash their joint and paaaaartaaayyyy

Do any of the usual haunts (Melbourne-specific) like cafe racer or Cogs
cafe have better coverage?

Old June 24th 04, 10:25 AM
Peter Vesel

Ok not everybody is happy with the selected stages being shown on SBS.
The Alpe D'Huez stage is fine but I , and I guess many others, would prefer
to see some more of the mountain stages live, or the cobbled stage.

Instead of just complaining here why don't we all write to SBS.
It may not change the stages shown this year, but it might be better for
next year.

BTW I think the cycling coverage from SBS this year has been pretty good
considering it is still a minor sport in this country.

Peter