SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it?

Old June 25th 04, 03:23 AM
Marx SS

Default SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it?

SBS's cycling coverage gets a 'thumbs up' from me. Ring the othe
networks & mention cycling (outside of the Olympics) & see the responce

Either me or my VCR will be up to catch all the action as it'
telecasted (Why aren't I part of the ratings sample group??)

-

Old June 25th 04, 04:00 AM
flyingdutch

Marx SS wrote:
Either me or my VCR will be up to catch all the action as it's
telecasted (Why aren't I part of the ratings sample group??).

I have often wondered whether such a group is just an urban myth. Has
anyone actually done this ratings-hoo-har?

Old June 25th 04, 08:47 AM
blah

Marx SS wrote in message . ..
SBS's cycling coverage gets a 'thumbs up' from me. Ring the other
networks & mention cycling (outside of the Olympics) & see the responce.

Yes, thumbs up _that_ they do it... as for _how_ they do it, if we
could get the guys to kick a soccer ball along the way we'd get live
coverge of all of the grand tours and spring classics, and hosts that
actually knew stuff about the riders. (yeah yeah, be thankful they
cover it at all, yeah yeah - don't worry, I'll be up with the rest of
you, glued to the telly for every second of coverage)
Old June 25th 04, 02:45 PM
Spider1977

Chickasmith wrote:
SBS have just published their press release regarding the Tour with 4
stages live including the individual time trial up L'Alpe D'Huez ...
fantastic!!! I am looking forward to this one ...
Their website www.sbs.com.au/tdf will also be updated from Friday
July 2 ...
I'm excited!

You're excited! I just wet my pants!

Old June 25th 04, 03:23 PM
K.A. Moylan

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

Marx SS wrote:
... (Why aren't I part of the ratings sample group??).

I have often wondered whether such a group is just an urban myth. Has
anyone actually done this ratings-hoo-har?

Yes, twice in my lifetime.
Once for TV & once for radio.
I guess I've had my full share of surveys.

--
K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia
Old June 26th 04, 02:30 AM
jcjordan

I must admit i am just happy that they cover some of the race.
Considering how little we normally see.

Dont forget that there are also the highligts from the classique Des
Alpes at 1130 on the sunday the 11 july as well

Old June 27th 04, 09:39 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:10:03 +1000, chickasmith wrote:

Only ten days to go ... at least there is the internet and there will be
'live' internet audio ...

10 days?!

****!

I better get that TV ariel (sp?) fixed
Old June 27th 04, 09:39 PM
kingsley

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:11:30 +1000, Glen F wrote:

Didn't someone here a while back say you can get the thing live on (free)
New Caledonian satellite (in French of course)? Why can't SBS just
re-broadcast that? Cost I guess...

I've got a dish and receiver card left over from an old
sattelite-internet install. Supposedly these things can
be pointed at Free To Air satellites and suck down an MPEG
stream. There's a couple of Linux HOWTOs on it.

Ah if I only had the time...

Do you know the proper name of the satellite in question ?
Guess I should google for it.

-kt

Old June 28th 04, 01:15 AM
mfhor

[QUOTE/] [B/]Either me or my VCR will be up to catch all the action as
it's telecasted (Why aren't I part of the ratings sample group??).

I was a couple of years ago, when they still had the little beige set-
top boxes you had to push buttons on. I religiously watched all the 6pm
wrap-ups, but they didn't have the live stages then.

I think I remember that SBS increased its ratings by about 1.5% or so
for that 1/2 hr. I suppose that this will probably grow, as the coverage
gets better, and as there are more (wannabe) roadies out there.

Now if we can just get the local bike clubs to capitalise on the
publicity. Most of them have difficulty organising a sausage sizzle at
the end of the weekly club race. Kudos to those who do, tho'.

Old June 28th 04, 03:12 AM
BCL

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 03:00:20 GMT, flyingdutch
wrote:

Marx SS wrote:
Either me or my VCR will be up to catch all the action as it's
telecasted (Why aren't I part of the ratings sample group??).

I have often wondered whether such a group is just an urban myth. Has
anyone actually done this ratings-hoo-har?

About 15 years ago a woman from one of thje ratings agency called
round and asked me to keep a radio diary. They collected it and that
was the first and only time it has happened to me.

Regards
Bruce

http://www.bcl.id.au