SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it?

Old June 28th 04, 05:15 AM
hippy

Default SBS 'Live' Tour Coverage - worth it?

Originally posted by mfhor Now if we can just get the local bike clubs
to capitalise on the publicity. Most of them have difficulty
organising a sausage sizzle at the end of the weekly club race. Kudos
to those who do, tho'.

I think Blackburn usually have a 'tour' night with big screen, etc.
http://www.blackburncycling.org.au/c.../road_cal.html

There's a roller derby on the 24th which might coincide with a tour
stage broadcast.

hippy

Old June 28th 04, 05:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Kingsley I've got a dish and receiver card left
over from an old sattelite- internet install. Supposedly these things
can be pointed at Free To Air satellites and suck down an MPEG stream.
There's a couple of Linux HOWTOs on it.

I don't have any gear like that (as if I'd PAY for TV!) but I was
thinking about rigging up a capture card in my pc and dumping the
broadcasts onto DVDs... that would be cool. Better than VHS anyway...

hippy

Old June 29th 04, 09:34 PM
kingsley

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:15:13 +0000, hippy wrote:

I don't have any gear like that (as if I'd PAY for TV!) but I was
thinking about rigging up a capture card in my pc and dumping the
broadcasts onto DVDs... that would be cool. Better than VHS anyway...

Yep, got a 200G drive just for that purpose (after I filled the 120G
with stuff I just can't delete). The el-cheapo DVB digital capture cards
(that dump the terrestrial(sp?) digital broadcast) are bloody excellent.
The captured video stream basically goes straight onto DVD with only
a bit of a re-multiplex.

I record regular stuff with a cron-job, and the irregualar stuff
like: ./rec.pl 60 sbs (no gui for me).

I'm hoping to get all 6:00pm highlights automatically, I don't
get off this bloody train 'till 7... Might have to set it up
to automatically transcode them to MPEG4 and copy to the lappy.
At least then I'd get to watch it the next morning (on the train).

-kt

Old June 30th 04, 02:52 AM
Graeme

kingsley wrote in
newsan.2004.06.29.08.34.58.904439@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au:

The el-cheapo DVB digital capture cards
(that dump the terrestrial(sp?) digital broadcast) are bloody excellent.

How cheapo and what make? I'm looking at making a Tivo/home theatre type
setup, I've got an analogue capture card, but a digital one would increase
the usefulness of such a toy^H^H^H essential machine.

Graeme
Old June 30th 04, 12:09 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:52:12 +0000, Graeme wrote:

The el-cheapo DVB digital capture cards
(that dump the terrestrial(sp?) digital broadcast) are bloody excellent.

How cheapo and what make? I'm looking at making a Tivo/home theatre type
setup, I've got an analogue capture card, but a digital one would increase
the usefulness of such a toy^H^H^H essential machine.

I've got one of the Haupaugge WinTV Nova, but only 'cause
it has good support under linux. IIRC I paid about $200 for it,
but you can get HD capable cards now for $180-250. For a more
up to date response head on over to news:aus.tv.digital

If you're serious about a homebrew Tivo, be sure to checkout MythTV
http://www.mythtv.org

-kt

Old June 30th 04, 03:35 PM
Graeme

kingsley wrote in
newsan.2004.06.30.11.09.24.185571@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au:

If you're serious about a homebrew Tivo, be sure to checkout MythTV
http://www.mythtv.org

Looks really good. It'll have to go on my "to do" list as I'll get shot if
I don't concentrate on trying to get a job (the Perth IT market is damned
hard to break into!).

:-)

Graeme