Anybody read the December Bicycling?

Old October 30th 05, 09:58 PM
Gooserider

Default Anybody read the December Bicycling?

There is an article in this month's Bicycling about the "invisible
riders"---those people who are of low income and use bicycles as their sole
transportation. The writer, Dan Koeppel, spent time with the
undocumented(read : illegal) workers in Los Angeles. The article is well
written, and gave me an insight into a world I do not see. That being said,
he really hacked me off. There's an incident he mentions of meeting a rider
named Octavio who was riding a steel Trek with bar end shifters, a Blackburn
rack, and a Brooks. Koeppel deduces the bike is stolen, then says, "Maybe he
deserves the bike."? Huh? Deserves it more than the person who actually paid
for it? What a moron. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for someone who not
only illegally entered the country, but is riding around on a stolen
bicycle?

Old October 30th 05, 10:16 PM
Mike Kruger

"Gooserider" wrote in message
. ..
There is an article in this month's Bicycling about the "invisible
riders"---those people who are of low income and use bicycles as their
sole transportation. The writer, Dan Koeppel, spent time with the
undocumented(read : illegal) workers in Los Angeles. The article is well
written, and gave me an insight into a world I do not see. That being
said, he really hacked me off. There's an incident he mentions of meeting
a rider named Octavio who was riding a steel Trek with bar end shifters, a
Blackburn rack, and a Brooks. Koeppel deduces the bike is stolen, then
says, "Maybe he deserves the bike."? Huh? Deserves it more than the person
who actually paid for it? What a moron. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for
someone who not only illegally entered the country, but is riding around
on a stolen bicycle?

It sounds like Koeppel makes two errors.
1. Unless he has direct evidence, it is inappropriate to assume -
particularly in print - that the bike is stolen. That seems likely, but
there are other explanations.
2. "Deserves it"? We are a society of laws, and theft is outside the normal
social contract. That's one of the reasons we have welfare and charities.
[and why, at times when these agencies do not function such as during
hurricane Katrina looting grocery stores to get food and water is an
acceptable action].

I remember a similar article a few years ago (not in Bicycling; I think it
was the LA Times) about undocumented workers in California riding bicycles.
Some of them were working nights and riding to/from work because there were
no buses and had been hit. The author explained that they couldn't afford
lights. And yet most of them smoked.

Old October 30th 05, 10:21 PM
Rich Clark

[...]

It seems unlikely that the rider was the thief, and given that nearly all of
the bikes purchased by this demographic will be used, it's equally unlikely
that it would ever even occur to someone to ask questions about the bikes'
origins.

I haven't read the article, but what you've quoted is, I agree, unfortunate
phasing. But the rider, it seems to me, probably bought the bike from one of
the many neighborhood dealers in secondhand bikes who sell exclusively to
this community, and even if the buyer was concerned about it being stolen,
there would be know way for him to find out. He's not likely to go to the
police and ask them to run the serial number, is he?

One sad thing: that nice stolen Trek touring bike probably sold for less
than stolen Huffys worth a tenth as much, just because it had drop bars and
bar-ends.

Another sad thing: the rightful owner of the bike would probably have
happily paid more to get it back than it sold for on the street.

But yeah, introducing the concept of who "deserves" the bike, as if the
owner never existed, seems off the wall.

RichC

Old October 30th 05, 10:38 PM
Gooserider

"Rich Clark" wrote in message
news

[...]

Koeppel doesn't say that the rider actually stole the bike, but buying a
stolen bike is the same as stealing a bike, and the rider knew he was
getting a bike of higher quality than a Huffy. The statement that the
illegal worker "deserves the bike" inplies that the original owner didn't.
How does he know? He probably assumed it was owned by some yuppie fitness
cyclist, but it could just as easily been someone for whom the Trek was sole
transportation. Could have been a teenager. The arrogance just got to me.

Old October 30th 05, 10:44 PM
Gooserider

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
[...]

Well, Koeppel didn't SEE him steal it, but an illegal immigrant on a BoBish
bike is highly suspect. I doubt he saved his meager income to buy the bike.
What do you figure a used Trek 520 with a Brooks goes for? I've seen them on
eBay for $250 for old old models. That's a lot of money for someone who
makes $200/wk before expenses.

2. "Deserves it"? We are a society of laws, and theft is outside the
normal social contract. That's one of the reasons we have welfare and
charities. [and why, at times when these agencies do not function such as
during hurricane Katrina looting grocery stores to get food and water is
an acceptable action].

I remember a similar article a few years ago (not in Bicycling; I think it
was the LA Times) about undocumented workers in California riding
bicycles. Some of them were working nights and riding to/from work because
there were no buses and had been hit. The author explained that they
couldn't afford lights. And yet most of them smoked.

I have a problem with the illegal immigrant situation. I do feel sorry for
them, because their home countries are not good places. They are exploited
here by greedy employers who do not wish to pay a living wage. But that
still doesn't give them the right to scoff at our laws. I live in Florida,
in an area which is experiencing a building boom. When I first moved here,
the overwhelming majority of drywallers(just an example) were good ol' boys
and bikers. Now they are all illegal aliens(Mexicans, Salvadorans, etc).
What about the good ol' boys and bikers? It's wrong, and the employers
should be held accountable. I don't really mind the seasonal farm workers,
because Americans don't want to do the job. Construction is another matter.

Old October 30th 05, 11:09 PM
Roger Zoul

Gooserider wrote:
: There is an article in this month's Bicycling about the "invisible
: riders"---those people who are of low income and use bicycles as
: their sole transportation. The writer, Dan Koeppel, spent time with
: the undocumented(read : illegal) workers in Los Angeles. The article
: is well written, and gave me an insight into a world I do not see.
: That being said, he really hacked me off. There's an incident he
: mentions of meeting a rider named Octavio who was riding a steel
: Trek with bar end shifters, a Blackburn rack, and a Brooks. Koeppel
: deduces the bike is stolen, then says, "Maybe he deserves the
: bike."? Huh? Deserves it more than the person who actually paid for
: it? What a moron. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for someone who not
: only illegally entered the country, but is riding around on a stolen
: bicycle?

Dood...you're reading Bicycling, or is it Buycycling? What do you expect?

Old October 30th 05, 11:21 PM

have a problem with the illegal immigrant situation. I do feel sorry for
them, because their home countries are not good places.

I don't. They are here illegally and once they start breeding it's you
and I that pay for their pups via medicaid and welfare and crowded
schools. I say shoot them at the border.

They are exploited

here by greedy employers who do not wish to pay a living wage.

$5/hr is a king's ransom compared to what they make as dirt farmers.

But that

still doesn't give them the right to scoff at our laws. I live in
Florida,
in an area which is experiencing a building boom. When I first moved
here,
the overwhelming majority of drywallers(just an example) were good ol'
boys
and bikers. Now they are all illegal aliens(Mexicans, Salvadorans,
etc).
What about the good ol' boys and bikers?

I noticed that is true everywhere. Day laborers are the contractors'
main workforce. Fortunately most tradesmen are skilled. It was funny
when my house was being built. These day laborers would put the
doorbell at their max height which was equal to chest high on the
taller Americans so the houses that didnt notice got doorbell chimes as
wall decor..

Old October 30th 05, 11:31 PM

Roger Zoul wrote:
Gooserider wrote:
[...]

Actually, while I agree the "deserving the bike" point was VERY poorly
thought out, I was somewhat pleased by the article.

Occasionally - hmmm, make that "rarely", Buycycling puts in an article
that can make a person think. This one, I think, may have made some
people who post here think about their attitudes - like the one that
there are "real cyclists" and there are "POBs," and the latter don't
count at all.

- Frank Krygowski

Old October 30th 05, 11:33 PM
Bill Bennett

"Gooserider" wrote in
om:
Well, Koeppel didn't SEE him steal it, but an illegal immigrant on a
BoBish bike is highly suspect. I doubt he saved his meager income to buy
the bike. What do you figure a used Trek 520 with a Brooks goes for? I've
seen them on eBay for $250 for old old models. That's a lot of money for
someone who makes $200/wk before expenses.

How did he know "Octavio" was an illegal immigrant? There are a lot of weird
stereotypes in this story. You need to provide a lot more details before we
will believe you.
Old October 30th 05, 11:49 PM
Gooserider

"Bill Bennett" wrote in message
"Gooserider" wrote in
om:
Well, Koeppel didn't SEE him steal it, but an illegal immigrant on a
BoBish bike is highly suspect. I doubt he saved his meager income to buy
the bike. What do you figure a used Trek 520 with a Brooks goes for? I've
seen them on eBay for $250 for old old models. That's a lot of money for
someone who makes $200/wk before expenses.

How did he know "Octavio" was an illegal immigrant? There are a lot of
weird
stereotypes in this story. You need to provide a lot more details before
we
will believe you.

Are you so daft as to not understand that a Hispanic who works day labor
jobs in Los Angeles is undoubtedly an illegal immigrant? And what do you
mean "believe"? The article is in December 2005 Bicycling. Sorry if I
offended your PC sensibilities.