Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear?

Old May 3rd 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear?

If I get a new chain and compare the sideways flex in it to my old
chain, and the old chain has more flex, is that an indicator that my
chain is worn?

Friday
Old May 3rd 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

flex is good, though crunchy flex means you need to clean it.

Measure 12 links, center to center, should be 12" on the money. If it's
longer, it means the pins have worn, replace.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Friday wrote:
If I get a new chain and compare the sideways flex in it to my old
chain, and the old chain has more flex, is that an indicator that my
chain is worn?

SIDEWAYS flex? Yes.

Old May 3rd 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 03 May 2006 00:02:33 GMT, Friday
wrote:

If I get a new chain and compare the sideways flex in it to my old
chain, and the old chain has more flex, is that an indicator that my
chain is worn?

Not necessarily. There are variations in the amount of low-effort
flex from brand to brand (and possibly part number to part number) as
well.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 3rd 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Not necessarily. There are variations in the amount of low-effort
flex from brand to brand (and possibly part number to part number) as
well.

Would this then be considered as an indication of the level of quality
or durability of the chain?
Archie A.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article ,
says...

If I get a new chain and compare the sideways flex in it to my old
chain, and the old chain has more flex, is that an indicator that my
chain is worn?

Maybe. It makes more sense to just use a ruler to measure your chain for
wear.
--------------
Alex

Old May 3rd 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 3 May 2006 01:17:51 -0700, "Archie A."
wrote:

Not necessarily. There are variations in the amount of low-effort
flex from brand to brand (and possibly part number to part number) as
well.

Would this then be considered as an indication of the level of quality
or durability of the chain?

No. It's simply a design issue; choices are made and implemented, but
they are just choices. I'm sure it's possible to find both good and
lousy chains with the same initial characteristics, for one thing. It
might be that the rate of change of lateral flex could be an indicator
of resistance to side plate face wear, but that is not as useful of an
indicator of chain condition and serviceability as pitch length. You
might do better to judge a chain by its color or the noise it makes.

There are lots of things that can be measured without providing any
useful data; entire pseudosciences have been based on such activities.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Friday wrote:

If I get a new chain and compare the sideways flex in it to my old
chain, and the old chain has more flex, is that an indicator that my
chain is worn?

It used to be (and still is, for track chains with full bushings). With
bushingless chains, you'd have to compare to a new one to get any idea.
Old May 4th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Friday wrote:

If I get a new chain and compare the sideways flex in it to my old
chain, and the old chain has more flex, is that an indicator that my
chain is worn?

It used to be (and still is, for track chains with full bushings). With
bushingless chains, you'd have to compare to a new one to get
any idea.

Isn't that what he's doing?

Bill "open hips; stiff back" S.

Chain Wear cirrus Australia 6 January 25th 06 08:06 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM
A few fixed gear questions. Will Fisher Techniques 39 March 16th 05 04:56 PM
A problem with gears. Donny UK 105 December 22nd 04 09:10 AM
Correct way to measure chain wear? Ken Nishimura Techniques 3 July 12th 03 12:41 AM