huge price difference for longer chains why?

Old October 21st 04, 05:33 PM
Steve Knight

Default huge price difference for longer chains why?

I can get a SRAM PC-58 11' chain for 40.00 I think from one place that sells
bent chains. but I can buy 5 chains (wedgie length)that will make two chains for
44.00 that's a huge price difference.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 21st 04, 10:59 PM
Victor Kan

Steve Knight wrote:
I can get a SRAM PC-58 11' chain for 40.00 I think from one place that sells
bent chains. but I can buy 5 chains (wedgie length)that will make two chains for
44.00 that's a huge price difference.

I suppose some will pay for the privilege of not having to do the "work"
of connecting chains together with the SRAM powerlinks.

BTW, where did you find PC-58 chains for $44 for five?

The best price I've found is $12 per chain.

--
I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Old October 22nd 04, 04:17 AM
Steve Knight

I suppose some will pay for the privilege of not having to do the "work"
of connecting chains together with the SRAM powerlinks.

yep a lot of work there (G)

BTW, where did you find PC-58 chains for $44 for five?

The best price I've found is $12 per chain.

oops your right on the price. I think I was comparing the 48 chain. 12.00 is
the price I paid too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 27th 04, 02:05 PM
Joshua Goldberg

Hi

I can think of 3 reasons, but the best one is that people have crowded lives
and
using master links and chain tools are beyond many people and those who can
do
their own bent length chains lack the time, patience and desire...all to
save the cost of
a meal at a fast food restaurant.

By the time you learn how to be skilled at everything you really need to
know in order
to live a full life...you now wear adult diapers & someone is putting a bib
on you
and feeding you baby food.

Personally I'd rather buy the SRAM and let my local bent shop install it,
costs more, but
you'll spend more time riding and less time building.

Joshua
******

Old October 27th 04, 04:07 PM
Steve Knight

Personally I'd rather buy the SRAM and let my local bent shop install it,
costs more, but
you'll spend more time riding and less time building.

chain maintenance is part of having a bike. got to take it off and clean it. so
it is no big deal.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 28th 04, 01:40 AM
Victor Kan

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
Personally I'd rather buy the SRAM and let my local bent shop install it,
costs more, but you'll spend more time riding and less time building.

In the time it took you to bring your bike to your LBS, wait for them to
get around to installing it for you and for you to bring it home, you
could have installed the chain yourself lickety split (this being one of
the simplest of bike maintenance jobs especially if you have the old
chain to go by as a guide for the length you need) and be coming home
from a 20 mile pleasure cruise on a newly chained bike.