Generous Gift of a Unicycle

Old May 5th 05, 05:49 AM
Tmornstar

Default Generous Gift of a Unicycle

Earlier this week, I received a heartfelt e-note from someone who came
across the Memphis Unicycle Club's web site. As you will read, this
person has donated her beloved unicycle to our club to find it a new
home with a deserving child. One of the main point of our club is to do
youth development wok. Visit the MUC web site to read our
Mission/Vision Statement at :

www.memphisunicycle club.com

"Greetings, fellow unicycler!"

"This unicycle is in desperate need of a good owner who will ride it. I
want to pass it on rather than retire it because was an important part
of my youth and it has a bit of a story to it. I came from a poor family
and I wanted to ride when I was about 6 years old. My folks had just
spent their money on a lovely purple Schwinn bike for me and were not
about to invest more money on a whim of mine. My dad took out his
cutting torch and re- arranged my tricycle into a unicycle, discarding
the back two wheels and putting a 8 inch length of 2x4 on a pipe and
pipe flange where the handlebars go. He said, ‘If you can ride that
thing, I'll get you your unicycle.’ After a dare like that, the only
thing I could do was succeed! Two weeks and one very sore bottom later,
I was trucking around on the driveway on that hard rubber wheel."

"My dad lived up to his word and bought me a brand new Schwinn uni (This
was in 1973 near Detroit). It was stolen within a week. Later that
summer, while riding that silly purple bike around, I spied a beat up
old unicycle in some one's garage. It wasn't the same one that had been
stolen, but similar. There was a grubby little girl playing in the front
yard, and I happily traded my new two-wheeler for the unicycle. My folks
weren't too upset, and I was thrilled. This is the unicycle I will send
to you."

"Happy riding!"

As I write this the above generous gift is winging its way to Memphis to
find a renewed life here creating smiles and expanding our uni- family.
The magnanimous generosity of Blake is staggering. She, too, paid for
the shipping!

There are some wonderful folks out there! One of the main points of our
MUC is to do youth development work. Visit the MUC web site to read our
Mission/Vision Statement at :

www.memphisunicycle club.com

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old May 5th 05, 06:05 AM
harper

Your stories are always so cool. It might have something to do with
you.

Heard anything about LeFay after his crash? I haven't been able to get
in touch with him.

--
harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"My world view has come crashing down like a drunk clown on a giraffe,
riding through a cactus patch..." -evil-nick on "Entry of the
Gladiators"

Old May 5th 05, 02:18 PM
yoopers

Tommy,

That's great! Way to go. It's really something to be recognized for
your work to help others. Congrats.

Bruce

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Unicycle ascent/descent of Mt. Evans - 14,264 feet gbarnes Unicycling 19 August 11th 04 02:48 AM
surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 11:38 PM
NZ Unicycle Weekend GizmoDuck Unicycling 6 November 3rd 03 08:37 AM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM
My first unicycle showard Unicycling 1 October 3rd 03 06:20 AM