Computer Placement

Old July 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
hippy

Default Computer Placement

Originally posted by mfhor Lights are required at night. I think they
destroy the classic lines of the thoroughbred classic Italian road
bike, don't you?

Yeah, during the day all that lighting crap comes off..

I've got a bike with all the useful crap (2x front lights, 'puter,
used to have a honka but it fell off ) and a roadie with a
wireless 'puter, v. low profile which you can swap the headmount to

whatever side you like, or even the middle.

My utility bike, the GTSS mtb was bare except for bottle cage until it
got dark and a Vistalite Nightstick and rear flasher went on. A month or
so ago I added a computer to it (ss traditionalists gasp in horror -
"talk to the hand..").

Old July 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
flyingdutch

mfhor wrote:
Tramlines and HT powerlines stuff up the HRM, or the H, or B(rain),
can't work out which.

That'd be the microwaves comin off the HTP's. screw up Beemer's
computers too aparrently (and the citilink cameras near Bell St
overpass:-) )

"squeezy dinosaur/squirrel/shark,"

Excellent idea. was thinkin of mountin a noddin dawg on the commuter-
rack

Old July 2nd 04, 02:27 AM
jcjordan

Parbs wrote:
"Jack Russell" wrote in message news:40E-
[email protected]
com.au...

hippy wrote:

Originally posted by Dej Left side is the new black.. My sigma is on
the right

Meh.. Polar is on the right, Cateye is on the right.

These rodney rude trendsetters /rodney rude will come back to the
one-true-computer-mounting-side after a time...

Mind you, if i could read the Polar properly sideways, I'd fit it to
the stem.

hippy

Cateye do a stem mount, not that I can find one in Australia!

Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell

Like this one?
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details-
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details-
%20@ID=811
Parbs

can you gives a better pointer then the link as i cant get it to worka
and a mounting on the stem for a polar would be perfect

Old July 2nd 04, 02:27 AM
mfhor

hippy wrote:
I've got a bike with all the useful crap (2x front lights, 'puter,
used to have a honka but it fell off ) and a roadie with a
wireless 'puter, v. low profile which you can swap the headmount to

whatever side you like, or even the middle.

My utility bike, the GTSS mtb was bare except for bottle cage until it
got dark and a Vistalite Nightstick and rear flasher went on. A month or
so ago I added a computer to it (ss traditionalists gasp in horror -
"talk to the hand..").

Hey, my ss is an old track frame with canti bosses brazed on the forks,
and i think it had a heart palpitation when I clicked the Sigma 2.4 W
rechargeable light and flasher on for a trip to the movies. I could
still see the scorch marks from where the acetylene light burst into
flames last time I tried ss illumination.

M "the last time a good ss road frame was made was in 1946" H

Old July 2nd 04, 02:30 AM
hippy

jcjordan wrote:
can you gives a better pointer then the link as i cant get it to worka
and a mounting on the stem for a polar would be perfect

Does this work?
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Cont...ails%20@ID=811

If you see a "-" in the link, remove it and it should be fine.

Old July 2nd 04, 03:15 AM
ritcho

jcjordan wrote:
can you gives a better pointer then the link as i cant get it to worka
and a mounting on the stem for a polar would be perfect

This is not my original idea, but I'll share it anyway.

1. Find a shampoo bottle top that has a top-bottom length of (say
1.5cm). Actually, any hard-ish plastic bottle top will do.

2. Cut curved shapes from the base of the lid to match the curved shape
of your stem.

3. Put a couple of holes through the lid so you can use a cable tie to
attach the lid to the side of the stem.

4. Affix the computer on the shampoo lid using its normal mount.

The result is a computer which sits just to the side of the stem and
costs bugger all.

It also works for aero bars...

Ritch

Old July 2nd 04, 08:11 AM
NickZX6R

"chickasmith" wrote in message

Mine is to the right too.

Maybe it has something to do with everyone being right handed and they use
their thumbs to press the buttoms?

From a few years ago, tour de france winner Bjarne Riis actually had his
computer on the stem!!!

Or 1989 photos of Laurent Fignon in the tour de france shows his computer

be on his forks!!!

Maybe the left side is the new spot!

"Craigster" wrote in message

I've just fitted computers (Sigma 1200's if you're interested) to my and
wife's bars. I placed them to the left of the stem for two main

reasons -

it

allows lights to be fitted on the right (therefore increasing your

apparent

profile to oncoming motorists) and also leaves my stronger arm to steer
whilst operating the buttons. Seemed sensible enought to me.

However, whilst watching the cycling on SBS, and also down at Cafe Racer

at

the weekend, I noticed that absolutely everyone else, without exception,
mounts them to the right.

Have I committed the ultimate bike computer faux pas? Is the whole of

Beach

Road laughing at me behind my back?

Please let me in on the secret. Either that or just tell me it's not
important.

Craigster.

Steve wrote:
New Sigma twist-type fittings can be used on the stem which does

solve the dilema & is great with tribars.

Actually, they can't. The twist top can only go on one way. You still
have to buy the separate stem mount for the Sigma.

BTW, my Sigma is on the right and HRM on the left. On the MTB, the Sigma
is on the stem.

Cheers.
--
Nick
Old July 3rd 04, 09:15 AM
aeek

I like to have my computer in front of a light - so I can see it.
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Cont...ails%20@ID=608

Left/right, don't care - as central as possible - since I don't miss
placing my hands close to the stem.

Old July 3rd 04, 10:30 PM
mfhor

Nickzx6r wrote:
Steve wrote: New Sigma twist-type fittings can be used on the stem
which does

solve the dilema & is great with tribars.
Actually, they can't. The twist top can only go on one way. You still
have to buy the separate stem mount for the Sigma.
BTW, my Sigma is on the right and HRM on the left. On the MTB, the Sigma
is on the stem.
Cheers.
--
Nick

Not quite right. If you look under the mounting socket, you will see
that there are 4 small screws, which you can undo, rotate the cradle
with the hooks for the rubber band 90 degrees, put the screws back in
and then presto, you've got a stem mount!!! Only took them 10 years to
figure that out!

BTW, I have the definitive (I think) answer to why the 'puter is nearly
always on the right. Sidepull (twin-pivot) brake calipers have the cable
exiting on the right. In Oz, the lever is mounted on the right.
Therefore, it makes sense to run the wire of a wired computer up the
brake cable outer to avoid snagging, leading the head mount of the
'puter to be on the right side of the bar. V-Brakes may be different,
canti's, doesn't matter.

Can't think of anything else why, all else being equal?

MH

Old July 5th 04, 01:57 AM
Tamyka Bell

NickZX6R wrote:

"chickasmith" wrote in message

Mine is to the right too.

Maybe it has something to do with everyone being right handed and they use
their thumbs to press the buttoms?

From a few years ago, tour de france winner Bjarne Riis actually had his

Steve wrote:
New Sigma twist-type fittings can be used on the stem which does

solve the dilema & is great with tribars.

Actually, they can't. The twist top can only go on one way. You still
have to buy the separate stem mount for the Sigma.

BTW, my Sigma is on the right and HRM on the left. On the MTB, the Sigma
is on the stem.

Cheers.
--
Nick

Not true, you undo the screws at the back and rotate the mount. It says
so on the box.