Carbon seat post recommendation ?

Old November 21st 05, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Carbon seat post recommendation ?

I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a little more
damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help. Obviously I don't need the
lightest but is there a brand recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and
decent one for a road bike?

Old November 21st 05, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rs wrote:
I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a little more
damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help. Obviously I don't need the
lightest but is there a brand recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and
decent one for a road bike?

Despite the marketing hype, I don't think a carbon post will help you
at all.

What is your tire pressure? If it is over 95psi, then reduce it. If you
then get pinch flats, get a wider tire (28mm).

Another option would be a suspension post.

Old November 21st 05, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Ruff wrote:
rs wrote:

I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a little more
damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help. Obviously I don't need the
lightest but is there a brand recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and
decent one for a road bike?

Despite the marketing hype, I don't think a carbon post will help you
at all.

What is your tire pressure? If it is over 95psi, then reduce it. If you
then get pinch flats, get a wider tire (28mm).

Another option would be a suspension post.

"I don't think... " so you don't have one then? is that a qualificaton
for advice? or is it just opinion based on other r.b.t blowhards?

Old November 21st 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rs wrote:
I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a little more
damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help. Obviously I don't need the
lightest but is there a brand recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and
decent one for a road bike?

it must be old if it doesn't already have one - the current models seem
to. if you want cheap, go for a supergo post. excellent value &
quality. and ignore the naysayers - they're not speaking from
experience. carbon posts are great.

Old November 21st 05, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rs wrote:
I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a little more
damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help.

It won't.

Obviously I don't need the
lightest but is there a brand recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and
decent one for a road bike?

Profile and Ritchey make nice ones but they are a wee bit lighter is
all...not a shock absorber.

Old November 21st 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jim beam wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:
rs wrote:

I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a
little more damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help. Obviously I
don't need the lightest but is there a brand
recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and decent one for a road
bike?

Despite the marketing hype, I don't think a carbon post will help you
at all.

What is your tire pressure? If it is over 95psi, then reduce it. If
you then get pinch flats, get a wider tire (28mm).

Another option would be a suspension post.

"I don't think... " so you don't have one then? is that a
qualificaton for advice? or is it just opinion based on other r.b.t
blowhards?

I don't think that was helpful or necessary.

eg

(Got me to look at the thread, at least. If the OP wants a carbon post for
a "low-end" road bike, then I would recommend a Supergo or Peformance house
brand. I've been using a "Weyless" carbon post on my mountain bike for
quite a while, and it's been fine. I have an FSA post in my road bike that
cost twice as much; it IS prettier )

Old November 21st 05, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

:
: Profile and Ritchey make nice ones but they are a wee bit lighter is
: all...not a shock absorber.

just curious--what would be your opinion of carbon handlebars? People have
been telling me to upgrade to one as they are supposed to be great shock
absorbers. Is that true?

Pat in TX
:

Old November 21st 05, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jim beam wrote:
"I don't think... " so you don't have one then? is that a qualificaton
for advice? or is it just opinion based on other r.b.t blowhards?

Yes, I don't have one...

And no, I'm basing it on on the fact that the seatpost does not deflect
enough to cause a difference in "feel", or damping.

As a side note, I recall Zinn asking two Italian companies if their
carbon bars and stems would provide good damping. They replied, "No,
they are quite stiff". But of course Easton said, "Yes". Maybe the
whole damping BS is only for US consumption...

Old November 21st 05, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ron Ruff" wrote:
jim beam wrote:
"I don't think... " so you don't have one then? is that a qualificaton
for advice? or is it just opinion based on other r.b.t blowhards?

Yes, I don't have one...

And no, I'm basing it on on the fact that the seatpost does not deflect
enough to cause a difference in "feel", or damping.

As a side note, I recall Zinn asking two Italian companies if their
carbon bars and stems would provide good damping. They replied, "No,
they are quite stiff". But of course Easton said, "Yes". Maybe the
whole damping BS is only for US consumption...

Actually three companies: ITM, Deda, and Stella Azzurra all say that carbon
is stiffer.

The Stella Azzurra rep recommends extra padding under the tape with carbon
bars.

The Deda rep says, "But I cannot predict a fast arrival of "controlled
flexibility" of handlebars. For the comfort, and the back pain, of our
reader I would be more focused on tires, tires, tires."

ITM says: "The rider saves weight on the bike AND gains in stiffness.
Certain riders are looking for this, but not for comfort. What can make a
carbon bar "softer" is the use of Kevlar, but the more you put into the bar,
the heavier it becomes."

Easton says: "The damping characteristics of carbon fiber would definitely
improve the quality of his ride in terms of comfort. The carbon road bars in
particular have a very nice feel and really smooth out the ride."

From http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...es/7391.0.html

Old November 21st 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rs wrote:
I've got a low-end road bike, Giant OCR3 and would like to get a little more
damping, thinking a carbon seat post would help. Obviously I don't need the
lightest but is there a brand recommendation for a fairly inexpensive and
decent one for a road bike?

Nyet. They're too easy to crush, they're expensive, and they aren't
going to help with damping. Get slightly larger tires and run them at
slightly lower air pressure.

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
FA: Profile Design CGT All Carbon Jammer Bar, Ritchey WCS seat post and more lsossen Marketplace 0 August 22nd 05 09:59 PM
sit in front? habbywall Unicycling 1 July 26th 05 07:06 PM
Pain from seat out thinuniking Unicycling 10 June 6th 04 02:57 AM
How do I fix a twisting seat post? billham Unicycling 12 November 30th 03 03:27 AM