Dia-Compe BRS 200

Old March 24th 04, 09:49 PM
Jessica Cann

Default Dia-Compe BRS 200

Does anyone know if these are considered long-reach brakes? How wide of a
tire will these reach around? Any help info would be appreciated.
Jeff =]

Old March 25th 04, 05:01 AM
Tom Kunich

"Jessica Cann" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these are considered long-reach brakes? How wide of a
tire will these reach around? Any help info would be appreciated.
Jeff =]

No, they aren't. You can't get real long reach brakes any longer. BRS-200's
are, I believe longer than normal SHORT reach brakes that aren't as long as
normal reach.

Old March 25th 04, 12:08 PM
Andy M-S

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message thlink.net...
"Jessica Cann" wrote in message
Does anyone know if these are considered long-reach brakes? How wide of a
tire will these reach around? Any help info would be appreciated.
Jeff =]

No, they aren't. You can't get real long reach brakes any longer. BRS-200's
are, I believe longer than normal SHORT reach brakes that aren't as long as
normal reach.

Jeff:

I'm fairly certain BRS200 would be considered a short-reach brake.
More of a racing product.

Fortunately, what Tom says above is NOT true. Shimano and Tektro,
make some very nice quality long-reach dual-pivot sets. And if you
want something with REALLY long reach, go to www.kogswell.com and take
a look. There seems to be resurgence of bikes that call for these
brakes, either to allow fatter tires or to allow the use of fenders,
and the manufacturers are responding.
Old March 26th 04, 01:23 AM
Tom Kunich

"Andy M-S" wrote in message
om...
"Tom Kunich" wrote in message

thlink.net...
[...]

Were that only the case. I bought a set of the Tekros and they were not
what I would call "fair" quality and I
m not all that picky. Shimano make "normal" or "standard" reach brakes in
both their Sora and 105 I believe. This is NOT a "long reach" brake for
older bikes that had long reach centerpulls on them.

However, all is not lost. There are a couple of companies that are making
drop bolts for Shimano dual pivots that work fine and aren't too expensive.
They are available in about three lengths so if you know what length you
need you can buy a 105 normal reach brake and a pair of these drop bolts and
it works very well.