Manitou Recall

Old November 18th 04, 05:53 PM
supabonbon

Default Manitou Recall

As reported in Joe Lindsey's column on mountainbike.com:

http://www.answerproducts.com/dynami...me=recall-main

"Forkmaker Manitou had a little headscratcher of its own this week
with the news that almost 8,000 of the company's freeride forks were
being recalled because, under full compression, the front tire would
hit the fork crown. Basic application of physics tells us that if the
wheel stops turning, forward momentum does not stop, but is pivoted on
an axis (the tire's contact patch), causing the rider to continue
forward in an upward motion at something less than his present rate of
acceleration (owing, naturally, to losses of efficiency in the
transfer of momentum due to friction, gravity, pucker factor, etc.)
and then describing a downward arc as acted on by gravity, which as
everyone knows causes objects to free fall at a constant acceleration
of 9.8 meters per second, squared, until said object meets the
inevitable immovable object, the ground, at which point Newton's
second law of motion comes into play. Or, as they say in motor racing:
speed doesn't kill; rapid decceleration does. (This is a much more
lively description than the CPSC's bland verbiage, which dryly states
that a particular defect may cause the rider to fall and be injured.)"
Old November 18th 04, 06:04 PM
Ride-A-Lot

supabonbon wrote:
[...]

WTF?!? Why don't they just say you'll OTB and break your MF neck! And
I was considering a Nixxon. Not anymore!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old November 19th 04, 01:25 AM
Slacker

http://www.answerproducts.com/dynami...=3Drecall-main

[...]

lol all three frig'n lines recalled...damn idiots.

-- =

Slacker
Old November 19th 04, 02:57 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Forkmaker Manitou had a little headscratcher of its own this week
with the news that almost 8,000 of the company's freeride forks were
being recalled because, under full compression, the front tire would
hit the fork crown. Basic application of physics tells us that if the

Manitou hasn't impressed me lately. After I cracked my flexy Skareb, I
vowed to stick with Marocchi or Fox, and now I enjoy my stiffy.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 19th 04, 02:29 PM
supabonbon

Slacker wrote in message news:opshot8fxam83lxu@slacker...
[...]

Is it just me, or does Manitou seem to have more QC related recalls
than any other manufacturer? It seems like every few years there's a
major flaw with tolerances.
/s
Old November 19th 04, 05:16 PM
Bruce Edge

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
"Forkmaker Manitou had a little headscratcher of its own this week
with the news that almost 8,000 of the company's freeride forks were
being recalled because, under full compression, the front tire would
hit the fork crown. Basic application of physics tells us that if the

Manitou hasn't impressed me lately. After I cracked my flexy Skareb, I
vowed to stick with Marocchi or Fox, and now I enjoy my stiffy.

My firefly has worn in very nicely. Had a few stiction/seal issues in
the beginning, but now it's great. I never use 4" mode, even rock
climbing. Really plush and solid for a SC.
Bobby Acuna at Manitou is really cool, he really took good care of me.

-Bruce
Old November 21st 04, 02:31 AM
tommy d

Phil, Squid-in-Training Wrote:
"Forkmaker Manitou had a little headscratcher of its own this week
with the news that almost 8,000 of the company's freeride forks were
being recalled because, under full compression, the front tire would
hit the fork crown. Basic application of physics tells us that if the

Manitou hasn't impressed me lately. After I cracked my flexy Skareb, I
vowed to stick with Marocchi or Fox, and now I enjoy my stiffy.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Glad to see it's not just me, the Skareb on my last bike was so
flexible I don't think it could crack if it wanted to, changed to
Marzocchi and still using them!

Eddy Merckx
'04 GT Moto w/Z.1 air

--
tommy d

Recall Notices Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 0 October 4th 04 03:02 AM
Segway recall!!! Karen M. General 12 September 30th 03 11:45 PM
Segway recall!!! Karen M. Social Issues 11 September 30th 03 11:45 PM
SuperGo Weyless Ultra frame recall Slash Mountain Biking 2 August 1st 03 05:16 PM
BikeE Recall Dave Clary Recumbent Biking 8 June 28th 03 02:55 PM