Ouch!

Old August 20th 05, 08:29 PM
David Martin

Default Ouch!

From the BBC:

Girl's leg impaled in bike crash

Firefighters used cutting equipment to help free a girl whose leg had
become impaled on the brake lever of her bicycle in North Somerset on
Saturday.
The girl, believed to be about 12-years-old, is understood to have
fallen from the bike, impaling her thigh on the lever.

A spokeswoman for Avon Fire and Rescue said crews were able to cut the
handlebars off the bicycle.

The girl was taken to hospital following the accident in Worle.

Station Officer Peter Coombs, from Weston-super-Mare, said the incident
was one of the most unusual he had been involved in.

"We were called by the ambulance service who were attending to a girl
who had fallen off her bike.

"The brake lever had actually impaled in her thigh up to its hilt. She
must have hit down on it fairly hard."

Mr Coombs said the injury was not bleeding too much but it was decided
not to remove the brake lever at the scene of the accident in Gilberyn
Drive.

"We had to use cutting equipment to remove half the handlebar and taped
the rest of it to her leg so it didn't move.

"The cutters we used were the same things we use to cut the roofs off
cars.

"We put a screen and a blanket up so she couldn't see what we were
doing because the cutters look a bit daunting.

"But the paramedics had given her pain relief and she was very
comfortable and relaxed during the procedure."

Old August 22nd 05, 08:32 AM
Jeremy Collins

David Martin wrote:

"We were called by the ambulance service who were attending to a girl
who had fallen off her bike.

"The brake lever had actually impaled in her thigh up to its hilt. She
must have hit down on it fairly hard."

I saw something similar once. Whilst at uni me and a mate were
mucking about on a MTB, bombing down a steep slope and walking
back up again.

At the bottom of one descent, mate hit the deck and stayed there,
so I went to investigate. The brake lever had impaled the side of
his calf, and then ripped its way out of the back, leaving a huge
chunk of flesh flapping about.

I accompanied him to casualty; he was fine after a few weeks (and
got a pretty cool V-shaped scar).

One particularly nasty bit was that the MTB was borrowed, so I
took it back to my room to clean it up. I still remember picking
little bits of pink hairy human flesh from the brake levers...

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Found a couple bad bike crash videos. Ouch! Wasatch5k Techniques 0 June 27th 05 04:01 AM
Ouch - Cramp!! Succorso UK 16 May 3rd 04 09:03 PM
ouch!! Pain is terrible don't suffer we have relief notjioxceg Stacy London Off Road 1 December 8th 03 06:06 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!! Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 21 October 25th 03 03:59 AM
Toe injury - ouch! Julian UK 12 July 23rd 03 01:24 AM