Do EVO pads fit in KoolStop holders?

Old April 25th 18, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Do EVO pads fit in KoolStop holders?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 19:14:31 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:14:03 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:04:26 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/23/2018 5:52 PM, Joerg wrote:
The worn Koolstop pads are 52mm long. Would these fit
Koolstop?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ByQAA...KD/s-l1600.jpg

I am a little puzzled by the clip that gets shipped along
because Koolstop only has the set screw.

Those replace this Kool Stop product:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_typeholder.html
inserts:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_type.html
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_type2.html

If your setup does not include the little wire pins then
maybe, maybe
not. What is it that you have now?

They look like this but with the holes in the metal body:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...13353ae498d1cb

You loosen the set screw and the pad slides out the back.
However, I don't want Koolstop stuff anymore. It's
expensive, the pads wear quickly and to top it off the
mounting hardware rusts fast. YGWYPF? I don't think so.

The EVO inserts you referenced earlier are the wrong part.

You probably want these:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

Product menu in that link is easy to use.

Thanks. $10+ is a bit much for those but I saw them on EBay for $8.

Good grief! If $2 is that important to you, your business must be failing.
Spend less time posting here, spend more time finding clients. Then support
your LBS.

I don't want any more clients, want less clients, want to retire and
ride. Anyhow, after Jay's response I just ordered the black version for
dry conditions. $7.25, that's an ok price for rim brake pads. Not as low
as Clarks but with these I don't have to install and adjust the whole
thing, just loosen a set screw and swap the rubber parts.

I think the question is whether you want a cheap pad or an effective
pad. I can buy brake pads locally, actually the entire brake shoe -
pad, holder and nut to hold it on - for approximately 50 cents each,
about a dollar a wheel. They don't last long and they don't stop very
well, but they are cheap.

Or I can buy a Koolstop look alike for about 10 dollars a wheel that
do stop in wet or dry conditions and last a long time.

As somebody once said, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
(But after you make your choice don't whine about it)

I can get KoolStop salmon pads at Western Bikeworks for $6.63 -- less that Joerg's FleaBay purchase. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...inserts?sg=501 I'm a revered member of the Leaders' Club!

I'd go down to the store (which is near my work), get them off the wall -- say "hey" to the guy and gals. I can really drive down the price if I get some of their free micro-roast coffee. In fact, if I bring the wife and kid and get three cups of that fine coffee, I could drive the price down to zero. They also have a beer tap, but I think they charge for that. I've gotten more than $6.63 of free advice from them -- and the head mechanic is the son of an olde tyme bike-head, so he knows all the old lore, and he builds steel frames. Priceless conversations.

If you don't support your stores, they will go away -- particularly stores in a small town like Shingle Springs. Joerg should pay the extra buck and buy local. Nobody is getting rich off his buck.

-- Jay Beattie.

The thing is.... how often does one change brake pads?

Admittedly I don't ride as much as I used to but even in my heyday I
don't remember that brake pads were an important factor in my bike
maintenance budget.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 26th 18, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

On a road, no but off road can be quite quick, my CX bike ate koolstop
Salmons in 100 ish miles, the Gravel bike with cable disks trashed its
front pads within 250 miles, it has been very wet and thus gritty.

I can remember wearing pads out on Canti MTB in single ride if it was very
wet/gritty area.

Roger Merriman

Old April 27th 18, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That is one of the reasons why I'd never buy any new bike with rim
brakes. Some roads in our area are either unpaved, gravel or connect to
a gravel road section and thus have a lot of dust on them. However, my
road bike was built in 1982 and there were no disc brakes available, at
least not in Europe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 27th 18, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Shimano's was around 1976 IIRC:
https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/248919

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 27th 18, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Phil Wood 1974. http://www.philwood.com/about/txthist.php RIP Phil.

There is no need for disc brakes for dry weather road riding, even on "dusty" roads and occasional single track or urban trail. It's a solution in search of a problem. My rim brakes work fine in wet weather, but I prefer discs because of rim wear and better wet braking. I switch between disc and direct mount caliper brakes on the weekends and find that braking is great on both.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 27th 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

There were disk brakes and also drum brakes back then which is always
better than rim brakes (which I didn't really want). However, nothing
for road bike frames I was told.

Many of the heavy "behemoth style" Dutch bikes had drum brakes back
then. They lasted a long time and most of all would not show deficiency
in heavy rain as rim brakes do.

Old April 27th 18, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Oh, Joerg that's a silly nearly meaningless statement.

A Sturmey AB (I own and ride one myself) is dismally
inadequate without a snappy front caliper at anything beyond
opa speeds on those opafeits. They're cute and very
consistent, as you noted, but peak braking power on a 90mm
drum sucks no matter how you slice it.

Old April 27th 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Nothing silly at all here. I rode those bikes on many occasions. The
brakes were powerful and for sure better than rim brakes. They had to
because we often had a pretty passenger riding along on the baggage
rack. Oh, those memories ... :-)

On some bikes the front drum brake was operated by a push rod, not a
Bowden wire like others. That was almost indestructible.

Old April 27th 18, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-26 15:40, Roger Merriman wrote:

[...]

I can remember wearing pads out on Canti MTB in single ride if
it was very wet/gritty area.

That is one of the reasons why I'd never buy any new bike with
rim brakes. Some roads in our area are either unpaved, gravel or
connect to a gravel road section and thus have a lot of dust on
them. However, my road bike was built in 1982 and there were no
disc brakes available, at least not in Europe.

Shimano's was around 1976 IIRC:
https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/248919

Phil Wood 1974. http://www.philwood.com/about/txthist.php RIP Phil.

There is no need for disc brakes for dry weather road riding, even on
"dusty" roads and occasional single track or urban trail. It's a
solution in search of a problem. My rim brakes work fine in wet
weather, ...

Work fine?

... but I prefer discs because of rim wear and better wet
braking.

Yet now they are worse than disc brakes? To me brakes are among the most
impoprtant parts on a vehicle. I want top performance from them, not a
"somewhat ok" performance.

Thing is, one doesn't always know if the weather turns foul during a
long ride and then I don't want to have to pussyfoot it back home
because of sub-par brakes.

... I switch between disc and direct mount caliper brakes on
the weekends and find that braking is great on both.

Thanks for the hint about the Koolstop pads. They just came. Ebay
tracking is a nice "mail is here" alert. It came early today.

They fit like a glove. I wonder why they now flare the trailing edge
inwards towards the rim. It would make the pad want to skew. Maybe I'll
grind that off.

Old April 27th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It's the same hub. Optional cable fittings or brake rod
connector.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting [email protected] UK 5 September 7th 09 04:25 PM
Grey Koolstop pads John Ampleforth Techniques 6 February 2nd 07 06:24 PM
Koolstop brake pads Joel Techniques 9 January 6th 07 10:49 PM
Koolstop pads installation Q. kabes Techniques 1 June 8th 05 03:56 PM
KoolStop Brake Pads kingsley Australia 2 October 5th 04 11:30 PM