My first ever 200(km) next Sunday

Old June 9th 04, 09:13 PM
MSeries

Default My first ever 200(km) next Sunday

"tony R" wrote in message
.... and it's a hilly one. See

http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round

in
the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a

warm
sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of

the
sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning

tricks
that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

thanks,

tony R.

My mate reckons putting vaseline over the eye brows causes the sweat to run
around the eyes and down the side of the head rather than in the eyes. I've
not tried it myself.

Old June 9th 04, 09:15 PM
Frank X

"tony R" wrote in message
.... and it's a hilly one. See
http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round
in
the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a
warm
sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of
the
sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning
tricks
that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

Not really, but if you squirt your head with water the sweat doesn't get so
salty.

Old June 9th 04, 09:24 PM
Simonb

tony R wrote:

There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
climbing my head sweats a lot.

Take off your helmet for the climbs? Or 'accidentally' leave it at home.

Old June 9th 04, 10:16 PM
Sarissa

tony R wrote:
.... and it's a hilly one. See http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round in
the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a warm
sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of the
sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

thanks,

tony R.

I wear a bandana made from a Buff cut into triangles - fits under a
h****t nicely.

Sarissa
Old June 10th 04, 12:09 AM
elyob

"Sarissa" wrote in message
tony R wrote:
.... and it's a hilly one. See

http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml

I wear a bandana made from a Buff cut into triangles - fits under a
h****t nicely.

Buff Buff Buff ....

Hold it .. you cut a Buff?

Old June 10th 04, 10:24 AM
Arthur Clune

tony R wrote:

: sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
: shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
: that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I don't sweat
that much so don't bother.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old June 10th 04, 08:41 PM
tony R

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
tony R wrote:

: sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory.

My
: shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning

tricks
: that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their

eyes?

The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I

don't sweat
that much so don't bother.

Thanks for the replies - think I'll give the vaseline a go.

tony R.

Old June 10th 04, 11:28 PM
MartinM

tony R wrote:

: sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
: shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
: that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I don't sweat
that much so don't bother.

Arthur

I simply bow my head and push the front pad against my forehead, the
sweat pours all over my nice front mech and cables and corrodes it but
keeps out of my eyes ;-)
Old June 11th 04, 12:09 AM
elyob

om...

tony R wrote:

: sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory.

My
: shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning

tricks
: that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their

eyes?

The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I

don't sweat
that much so don't bother.

Arthur

I simply bow my head and push the front pad against my forehead, the
sweat pours all over my nice front mech and cables and corrodes it but
keeps out of my eyes ;-)

You don't want to know about my snot/hayfever removal problems

Sunday Ride Richard Adams Rides 0 November 14th 03 05:45 PM
Herne Hill - Saturday and Sunday this weekend John Hearns UK 2 October 3rd 03 09:51 AM