Driver who killed cyclist told to expect jail.

Old February 1st 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_2_]

Default Driver who killed cyclist told to expect jail.

Case of a texting speeding driver killing a red light jumping cyclist.

http://qurl.com/3sczj

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
Old February 1st 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 1 Feb, 16:54, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
Case of a texting speeding driver killing a red light jumping cyclist.

http://qurl.com/3sczj

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

OK, I'll bite. It is the sort of accident of which I have been
expecting to see more. Some cyclists may learn something from it, but
as the outcomes are so unequal, I doubt that motorists will. Motorists
are likely to just note that the initial cause of the accident was the
action of the cyclist.

To me it shows that Darwinism is running in reverse.
Old February 2nd 08, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
boulder

as the outcomes are so unequal, I doubt that motorists will. Motorists
are likely to just note that the initial cause of the accident was the
action of the cyclist.

But as a motorist, and a cyclist....that must be most of us
surely???.....they would be correct in blaming the
cyclist IMHO.

When I saw it on the news last night, I was amazed the girl had been treated
so harshly...her
crime was using a mobile whilst driving....3 points and 60 quid fine.

She may not have hit the
cyclist had she not been texting, but surely you cant ignore, completely,
the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he
should, he's still alive.

Lessons for me as a cycling/driver !

Old February 2nd 08, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, boulder wrote:

She may not have hit the cyclist had she not been texting, but
surely you cant ignore, completely, the law breaking cyclist....had
he stopped, as he should, he's still alive.

Yeah! I vote we lock his body up for 6 months - that's what these
people need, a taste of prison, that'll learn him.

And repeat offenders - string em up. Anyone killed twice going
through a red light, automatic death penalty I reckon.

Twit.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 2nd 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

boulder wrote:

as the outcomes are so unequal, I doubt that motorists will. Motorists
are likely to just note that the initial cause of the accident was the
action of the cyclist.

But as a motorist, and a cyclist....that must be most of us
surely???.....they would be correct in blaming the
cyclist IMHO.

When I saw it on the news last night, I was amazed the girl had been
treated so harshly...her
crime was using a mobile whilst driving....3 points and 60 quid fine.

Look, I agree that hitting the cyclist was unintended, and that the cyclist
was breaking the law. The sentence should not be harsher just because a
cyclist was where he should not have been and got himself killed. That's a
side issue.

But texting while driving should mean a severe sentence, whether you hit
anyone or not. So should doing 45mph in a 30mph zone. Doing 45mph in a
30mph while texting certainly ought to mean prison.

She may not have hit the
cyclist had she not been texting, but surely you cant ignore, completely,
the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he
should, he's still alive.

Absolutely. But had she lost control of the car while texting and ploughed
through a bus queue at 45mph, there would have been a lot of deaths and
they would have been innocent ones. You simply can't have people texting -
or phoning - while driving.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.
Old February 2nd 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

"boulder" writes:

as the outcomes are so unequal, I doubt that motorists will. Motorists
are likely to just note that the initial cause of the accident was the
action of the cyclist.

But as a motorist, and a cyclist....that must be most of us
surely???.....they would be correct in blaming the
cyclist IMHO.

When I saw it on the news last night, I was amazed the girl had been treated
so harshly...her
crime was using a mobile whilst driving....3 points and 60 quid fine.

She may not have hit the
cyclist had she not been texting, but surely you cant ignore, completely,
the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he
should, he's still alive.

Lessons for me as a cycling/driver !

If you kill someone when you're doing something potentially dangerous
then that has consequences. Road traffic law is hardly unique in this
respect.

Old February 2nd 08, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 06:46:14 -0000, boulder wrote:

as the outcomes are so unequal, I doubt that motorists will. Motorists
are likely to just note that the initial cause of the accident was the
action of the cyclist.

But as a motorist, and a cyclist....that must be most of us
surely???.....they would be correct in blaming the
cyclist IMHO.

When I saw it on the news last night, I was amazed the girl had been treated
so harshly...her
crime was using a mobile whilst driving....3 points and 60 quid fine.

Well she was speeding as well. She has also received 3 FPNs for
speeding, two of them on the road leading up to the junction. I think
that because it was a text message the judge is treating the whole thing
more seriously than a phone call as well.

She may not have hit the
cyclist had she not been texting, but surely you cant ignore, completely,
the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he should, he's still alive.

Actually he did stop before going through the red - presumably because
the junction and approach roads were clear. Still wrong but not quite
as reckless as you paint.

I also find it disappointing that the Times article on this mentioned
the fact that the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old February 2nd 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

boulder said the following on 02/02/2008 06:46:

She may not have hit the
cyclist had she not been texting, but surely you cant ignore, completely,
the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he
should, he's still alive.

She was doing 45mph in a 30mph limit, through a junction, whilst texting
on her phone. She should have been imprisoned regardless of whether or
not she'd actually had a collision. At the very least she should have
been banned from driving - for ever.

I'm certainly not going to defend the law-breaking cyclist, but this
woman was an accident waiting to happen. It happened.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 2nd 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
boulder

I also find it disappointing that the Times article on this mentioned
the fact that the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet.

no, he died of head injuries..

Old February 2nd 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
boulder

Yeah! I vote we lock his body up for 6 months - that's what these
people need, a taste of prison, that'll learn him.

And repeat offenders - string em up. Anyone killed twice going
through a red light, automatic death penalty I reckon.

Twit.

do be so ridiculous. It would have been enough just to tie his body up for
a few days on the traffic lights he ignored.
Some people have to try to make light of everything

Twit ? Ouch